Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

09 Mar 2017, 4:00 pm

I was watching The Big Bang Theory the other day and Sheldon says something about how he loves restrictions, I think it was about self-imposed restrictions. And I could really relate to that. I know many that have autism have OCD or anorexia too, and these are some restrictive ways of living. I don't have either but have been vegan/vegetarian for 20 years and a picky eater before that. I think restrictions for me mostly show up in foods, but maybe some other things too. But it made me think and realize when he said that
, that there is a certain joy or satisfaction in restrictions.

What do you think? Do you have self imposed restrictions? Does it make your life worse, no different, or better?

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 4:37 pm

I'm not sure what this means, but wonder if this is like how I only buy/wear certain types of clothing? It's a combination of physical and mental comfort, behind that choice. I like having that comfort. But I'm not sure if that's what's meant by self-imposed restrictions.

If it is, then yes. I only buy black trousers with elasticated waistbands, or comfortable lightweight shorts for the summer. That's a positive thing for me as it makes me feel like 'me', and avoids potential discomfort from thicker or less flexible clothing. It's a safety net.

shadowtag
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2017, 6:13 pm

I think for me, the psychological comfort of self-imposed restrictions is a sense of control, particularly of one's self, in addition to the comfort of a familiar routine once one adapts to the changes made.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 11:03 pm

Staying in comfort/safety zone.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 10:03 am

I put restrictions and limitations on myself for years. Today, I am doing a lot more new things. I will let my common sense determine how much I can do.

myaspielife
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Mar 2017, 10:22 am

I make a distinction between restrictions and constraints. To me, a self-imposed restriction is something I do (or more likely don't do) because it keeps me from going out of my comfort zone. Generally this is a good thing - I avoid crowed, noisy restaurants so I won't have sensory overload, etc. But sometimes restrictions can be less than ideal. I avoid people in general. Is that good for me? I'm not really sure. Maybe I would be better off if I tried to meet more people.

As far as a constraint, that's generally a limit I place on myself to make things more interesting, or it has to do with my special interests or obsessions. I only eat from bowls with straight edges, I only wear cotton, I only wear blue and red shirts, etc. I find that to be a good thing. It is part of who am I. There's really no benefit if I drop a constraint. I can't say that with 100% certainty in regards to restrictions...

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2017, 2:18 pm

burnt_orange wrote:
Do you have self imposed restrictions? Does it make your life worse, no different, or better?

Yes, I do. I restrict my calories (and refuse refined sugar) and I restrict my clothes (currently it's all black). It provides me with a sense of control and yes, it makes life better. I have used many other restrictions, some of which I've done away with.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 2:19 pm

Hippygoth wrote:
burnt_orange wrote:
Do you have self imposed restrictions? Does it make your life worse, no different, or better?

Yes, I do. I restrict my calories (and refuse refined sugar) and I restrict my clothes (currently it's all black). It provides me with a sense of control and yes, it makes life better. I have used many other restrictions, some of which I've done away with.

Out of curiosity, why black? Is it your favourite colour? Does it make you feel as if you're invisible?

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2017, 4:27 pm

The Unleasher wrote:
Out of curiosity, why black? Is it your favourite colour? Does it make you feel as if you're invisible?

It is my favourite colour, yes. It makes me feel safe (but not invisible). Although I do venture out into other colours sometimes!

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 5:33 pm

I think if certain restrictions adhere to someone's sense of order, and thus their sense of well being (i.e. without them they'd feel more chaotic), then certainly restrictions can in moderation be a good thing. Fellow veggie here, been so for over a decade. People often see me as a fussy eater but I wonder, would they still regard me as fussy if instead of telling them I'm vegetarian, I told them I had a serious allergy? Food is a funny topic with my family. It's like they simply can't process why I'd choose this. :)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 7:21 pm

Ancient Greek pottery can be dated within a decade by the exact style of decoration. Obviously, the artists worked within a very strict aesthetic tradition that changed only slowly. It does not seem to have hindered the beauty of their work.
All of duality lives with restrictions or else dissolves into chaos.
I restrict my consumption out of basic morality, without love or hate for the limits, even when they make life awkward. The alternative is denial or self-loathing.
Professionally, I am restricted by the laws of physics and the current state of available technology. Without those limits, pushing the envelope would be no accomplishment at all.
Socially, I am restricted by both my IQ and EQ, and that makes life lonely.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 10:13 pm

burnt_orange wrote:
...have been vegan/vegetarian for 20 years and a picky eater before that.

Vegetarian here too, for the last 12 years. Other less positive restrictions; strong desire to eat in same place every day, same foods, always end up wearing dark clothing, etc.. These things are good for my sanity though. :joker:

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 1:19 am

It is nice to find some other vegetarians here. I grew up on a farm, so I knew what was in the cheap packages I could afford after leaving. I'd also always wondered how the one vegetarian I'd met sat down to a plate with potatoes, peas, and a blank space. So, at about 11:50 PM one New Year's Eve, at a roommate's party, when I remembered I hadn't made any resolutions, I decided to find out what it was like. That was almost fifty years ago. Now, I think of people eating meat as conducting bizarre funerals for abandoned pets, for all domestic animals make fine pets if you have the space. They also condemn others to starvation.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 4:02 am

I'm vegetarian too, but don't view that as a restriction. It's an ethical choice.
I think of restrictions in terms of inability or denial - inability to do something, or denial by others of something, I want to do. I find restriction incredibly frustrating. Restriction is red tape, it's social systemization, it's poverty, it's ignorance or disability. It's something fundamentally in my way whenever I try to do anything.
I rail at restriction. I much prefer freedom, ability and possibility.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 9:32 am

C2V wrote:
I'm vegetarian too, but don't view that as a restriction. It's an ethical choice.
I think of restrictions in terms of inability or denial - inability to do something, or denial by others of something, I want to do.

True; almost no one wants someone else to determine what they can/can't do. However, "restriction" still works even if the choice/limitation/boundary is self-imposed. The restrictions we love are more likely to be the ones we determine ourselves, as everyone seems to be suggesting.

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2017, 7:38 am

Nothing comes immediately to mind about self-imposed restrictions with respect to daily living. Maybe the closest thing in my experience was an early decision that I would never touch illegal drugs. It probably helped that I grew up in the 70s and 80s, in a rural area where drugs were (I suppose) difficult to come by.

On a somewhat related note, I do like to impose restrictions on myself when it comes to my photography. I'll head out with one fixed (non-zoom) lens, or a plastic toy camera with few user controls. When it comes to art, limiting your available tools can be a great way to enlarge your creative vision. If I take too much gear with me, it's often counter-productive. I struggle to decide which tool to use in the moment, and the moment may slip by. If I have only one option in hand, then I'm more likely to get a good photo.

My Official Facebook Page