NTs: obligations and emotional manipulation

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 9:15 am

One of the major things which I struggle are the NTs propensity to do things for you with the intention to create an obligation.

If I do something for someone, I try to do it because it is something I want to do not to expect something in return.

I am dealing with a friend who did something to benefit herself, that also benefited me, and now she is trying to lay obligations on me and emotionally manipulate me.

This what my mother did to me growing up and it made me very aware and very resistant to it.

I feels very manipulative and makes me want to distance myself from the person. If I need something, I ask for it and then let them make the decision if they want to do.

I think the reason many NTs don't like this is because they have to assume responsibility for their actions.

I guess this is why I am not very good at flirting/dating.

NotThatClever13
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2017, 12:06 pm

I never thought of this before. People actually do this? Might explain some situations I have had. I also expect nothing in return when I help people or do things for people. Isn't that how it is supposed to be? The idea that people actually do things to create obligation seems quite manipulative to me indeed.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 1:44 pm

I've known pretty manipulative Aspergian/autistic-type people, too.

There's just a segment of the human population who feels manipulating others is the way to go.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 5:14 pm

I haven't really been around many NDs and I know not all NTs do it or at least do it to the extreme that I am dealing with right now.

I do think this is so common among NTs that they don't even notice it.

I am not good with expectations, I have heard that from more than one girlfriend. I dont do things because they expect it. I have to be asked.

I often find myself in the position where a girlfriend is mad at me because I did not do something, but they never asked me to do it, they just expected me to know and do it. This has always been very frustrating, like getting mad at someone who is colorblind for not being able to bring you a green cup.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 5:38 pm

I agree. The girl who "expects me to do something" without conveying that "something" can be quite annoying!

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 5:46 pm

I am faceblind, so I miss most of the non-verbal communication that comes from facial expression. I often wonder if that is one of the reasons I struggle so much understanding humans.

It feels like I am colorblind, but to emotion.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 5:48 pm

I used to be very bad at this, too.

Through hard experience, I've gotten to the point where I'm "not atrocious" at this.

I still make my mistakes.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 6:03 pm

This is why I don't make friends. I let them come, by choice. And why I don't bother 'maintaining' relationships.

And why I see social life more of a chore or a job than something enjoyable...
Sometimes I could say the same with culture and conformity: it's more of an appropriation and an obligation than something I'm actually part of.

As for NTs themselves, they don't realize it. They thought that they're doing the right thing.
At the same time, it's their human side that dictates it -- the need (social, emotional, sometimes mental). They 'know' one has needs, and so are they have it too. Maybe that's why they assume responsibility. And why some opportunist would take advantage of that need.

And one of the reasons why I hate needs...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

NotThatClever13
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2017, 10:00 pm

feral botanist wrote:
I often find myself in the position where a girlfriend is mad at me because I did not do something, but they never asked me to do it, they just expected me to know and do it. This has always been very frustrating, like getting mad at someone who is colorblind for not being able to bring you a green cup.

This used to drive me nuts with girlfriends, they just couldn't understand why I needed to be told everything.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 10:21 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
And one of the reasons why I hate needs...

I am with you there. I try to be self suficient as possible, so I dont incure obligations.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 10:22 pm

NotThatClever13 wrote:
feral botanist wrote:

This used to drive me nuts with girlfriends, they just couldn't understand why I needed to be told everything.

Did you find a solution?

NotThatClever13
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2017, 10:48 am

feral botanist wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:
feral botanist wrote:

Did you find a solution?

My solution was finding someone who understands my needs and is willing to work with them. It makes all the difference.

Secretalien
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Mar 2017, 11:42 am

feral botanist wrote:
I am not good with expectations, I have heard that from more than one girlfriend. I dont do things because they expect it. I have to be asked.

There are a lot of things that are unspoken expectations in relationships because of socialization and cultural expectations and whatnot. It seems like even most NT people struggle with this stuff to some extent, unless they have really open communication and are willing to really try to change and work together to improve the relationship.

I think that's not usually manipulative, though, at least not in any intentional or malicious way. A lot of people just have a hard time saying what they want, because they're afraid of rejection, or feel embarrassed, or they have unrealistic ideas about relationships based on the media, or they assume their partner already knows, etc.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 10:46 pm

NotThatClever13 wrote:
feral botanist wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:
feral botanist wrote:

Did you find a solution?

My solution was finding someone who understands my needs and is willing to work with them. It makes all the difference.

If you find anymore I hope you will introduce them to me :D

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 10:50 pm

Secretalien wrote:
feral botanist wrote:

There are a lot of things that are unspoken expectations in relationships because of socialization and cultural expectations and whatnot. It seems like even most NT people struggle with this stuff to some extent, unless they have really open communication and are willing to really try to change and work together to improve the relationship.

I think that's not usually manipulative, though, at least not in any intentional or malicious way. A lot of people just have a hard time saying what they want, because they're afraid of rejection, or feel embarrassed, or they have unrealistic ideas about relationships based on the media, or they assume their partner already knows, etc.

I understand that intellectually, but maybe only.

The situation with which I have beej dealing is with someone trying to make me feel obligated. They dont want me to chose whatis best for me so they try to convince me that I owe them something. If they just asked, I might agreex but they dont want to take the chance I might say no.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 11:18 pm

My oldest aunt does this. She will do something nice and then tell you you have to do something in return. I have never known anyone else in my life who does. But she gets upset when you don't do anything in return for her. My aunt does nice things because she wants something in return than because she wants to do it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.