Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

CyborgSpaceKitten
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2017, 6:49 pm

For a long time I have had problems with family/ friends/ acquaintances saying that I speak too quietly, to the point where they actually get upset with me, and act like I do it just to be obnoxious, (since they've said something so many times and nothing seems to change). To me, when I speak 'audibly' it sounds way too loud to me, almost like I'm yelling, and after too long, it gets too overwhelming. Does anyone else have this problem, or have any suggestions for how to help deal with this issue?

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 7:31 pm

Same for me. My husband has accused me of "muttering " a lot. My mum had a soft voice and I've been told that I sound like her. But I am very , very bothered by noise. Loud noises or less-loud but continuous noises like someone else's radio.

Ignotum
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

I remember having the exact opposite problem when I was younger. That is, always thinking I was speaking to quietly and then, unknowingly, I would raise my voice to a near yell in normal conversation. It was a pretty big problem for me in middle school, and I got in a bit of trouble for it a few times, but it is mostly gone now.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 1:31 am

Explain the reason why you speak at the volume you speak at.

Talk louder even if it sounds too loud to you. If the sound physically bothers you, wear ear protection.

Try to avoid speaking in noisy environments or from a large distance so people can hear you more easily at a lower volume.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 4:08 am

I speak very softly because I have a speech disorder and can't physically speak up.
I dislike this as people mistake being soft-spoken for being timid which is not the case.
I also have misophonia, but never thought about that relating to speech before. Interesting.
I'd say people are picking on you disproportionately. So you speak softly - why make it a big deal? Cannot people just accept that about you? I don't see why you should be uncomfortable just because they misinterpret you.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 5:50 am

This always happens to me. I think I'm speaking at a good volume, but everybody gets annoyed and says I'm speaking too quietly. I am also very sensitive to sounds.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 5:52 am

starkid wrote:
Explain the reason why you speak at the volume you speak at.

Talk louder even if it sounds too loud to you. If the sound physically bothers you, wear ear protection.

Try to avoid speaking in noisy environments or from a large distance so people can hear you more easily at a lower volume.

Ear protection doesn't work if it's you speaking. It sounds even louder. It's like blocking your ears whilst chewing - you hear it really loudly (or I do, at least).

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 6:34 am

CyborgSpaceKitten wrote:
For a long time I have had problems with family/ friends/ acquaintances saying that I speak too quietly, to the point where they actually get upset with me, and act like I do it just to be obnoxious, (since they've said something so many times and nothing seems to change). To me, when I speak 'audibly' it sounds way too loud to me, almost like I'm yelling, and after too long, it gets too overwhelming. Does anyone else have this problem, or have any suggestions for how to help deal with this issue?

I have the exact same thing. Plus people tell me I 'swallow' the words or the letters and sound like I talk gibberish sometimes too.

jmncrr000
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2017, 2:03 pm

I have had volume issues with my voice. I've been accused of speaking to softly where nobody could hear me, and I've been accused of speaking too loudly. I've worked on this over the years, and i feel I've improved in this area, and I've found a nice base volume for my voice, but still have my moments of not being heard, or heard too well.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 2:34 pm

YES this is me. i'm sure it is mostly to do with hyperacusis.
then i also get complaints that i'm mumbling, which is partly because its so quiet that people can have a hard time hearing and then also because i don't articulate well.

i do try to work on this stuff and i have gotten better about it over the years, slowly.
i figure i'll spend my entire life learning how to communicate.