Page 2 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 1:03 pm

Knofskia wrote:
I apologize again. My last post sounds aggressive. It was meant to sound enthusiastic about encouraging the use of tools for the disabled to help all people live better and happier. :oops:

I think the tragedy of that article is that the abuse of those toys means that people who are dependent on them, and not abusing them, may still be banned from using them. :(

It's okay, I wasn't intending to sound like it's only autistics who benefit from stim toys. I should have said it bothers me when people who don't need them use them, because, as you said, it causes problems for those who do need to use them, whatever their condition or disability may be.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 3:59 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
Knofskia wrote:
I apologize again. My last post sounds aggressive. It was meant to sound enthusiastic about encouraging the use of tools for the disabled to help all people live better and happier. :oops:

I think the tragedy of that article is that the abuse of those toys means that people who are dependent on them, and not abusing them, may still be banned from using them. :(

It's okay, I wasn't intending to sound like it's only autistics who benefit from stim toys. I should have said it bothers me when people who don't need them use them, because, as you said, it causes problems for those who do need to use them, whatever their condition or disability may be.

I reread your post and I think I understand better.

I guess I do not understand following a new fad just because other people are. Being autistic, I am reluctant to any kind of change. And I do not see "other people are doing it" as a legitimate argument for, or against, taking an action.

:scratch: :shrug:

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

Beansie
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 May 2017, 1:03 pm

They're not banned at my school and I want a spinner and a cube.

BobNewbiesBus
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 May 2017, 1:07 pm

Eeee, in the olden days we only had Bic 4-colour pens. We disguised it as being "productive".

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 1:17 pm

Its pretty much the same as when yo-yos were a fad back in the 90s, the children like watching them spin and go up and down. NTs stim too, especially children. The only people I've seen with the stim toys are children and "NT" adults who probably have adhd, asd, or some other disorder anyway. And of course they are going to be banned from some classes because of some uppity, judgmental, dumbass-nitpicky teacher wants an excuse to b***h.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 9:24 am

I read a blog on a Serbian adoption site (I am interested in Serbia, so that led me to study about disability issues in that country) about fidget toys. The mother of six children with Down syndrome, five of them adopted from Serbia, said that, instead of banning the toys outright, there should be a time set aside to play with the toys. This seems like a sensible solution and one that minimizes distractions to learning.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 11:50 am

I like that fidget toys are becoming a fad because that means they are more accessible to those who do benefit from them. Plus why shouldn't NT's use fidget toys? I don't need bath bombs from Lush but that doesn't mean I don't benefit from it. I don't have to need something to justify having it.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 11:49 pm

Knofskia wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:
Knofskia wrote:

I guess I do not understand following a new fad just because other people are. Being autistic, I am reluctant to any kind of change. And I do not see "other people are doing it" as a legitimate argument for, or against, taking an action.

Agreed. It reminds me of that old cliche, "If all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you?" Doing something just because everyone else is doing it makes zero sense to me. :|

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 11:56 pm

I like tinsel, amusingly shaped erasers and blades of grass as fiddlethings, or clenching and throttling fresh air if I am caught in a momentary fury.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 1:00 am

Honestly, this is just really idiotic to me.

If they dont have these fidget gizmos, they're just going to use other random objects instead. I used to do this with pens, back in school. The end result was that I'd have ink all over my hands. And if anyone had tried to take the thing away from me, well.... they'd probably have found themselves unable to. Tended to be very, very stubborn, whenever I thought something was bloody stupid, which was always. Like gym class, they always wanted us to play sports, I hated sports (as someone who hated basically everyone else in every class, you bet I wasnt going to try to be on a team with them) and simply refused. I quickly found that many teachers tend to get more than a little lost when that happens. Ended up on a seperate mini-class that often went to the local driving range to hit golf balls instead. Had the odd side effect of me carrying around a golf club all day (never went to my locker). Sure wouldnt get away with THAT these days, would I...

The point though is that they arent ACTUALLY accomplishing anything with this, except irritating the students. Which never helps. The ACTUAL solution would be to make the lessons less freaking boring. Change the system instead of blaming absolutely anything else. Honestly, as always, I see the education system as being a total disaster. It doesnt keep anyone actually interested in learning much, and of course you have bullying with nobody doing anything about it... whole thing is a mess. But no, let's ban these random harmless objects. Ugh.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 May 2017, 2:47 am

I was coaching (climbing) a young, non-autistic girl yesterday and she asked me if I had a spinner as her dad bought her one. I said no, but I am autistic. Didn't phase her at all. I have real hope for the next generation :)

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 8:12 am

When I was in elementary school wigwam socks became popular. The school administration banned wigwams.
Next trapper keepers became popular. The school banned trapper keepers.
Then later pogs became popular. Pogs were banned.
Just as I was graduating Pokemon cards came into fashion. Pokemon paraphernalia was also banned.

What am I trying to say here? I'm saying that nothing has really changed in the eyes of the schools. Worldwide, school administrators seem to think that keeping useful but popular things out of the hands of children is important. Goodness knows socks and binders are useful, but they got the axe anyway. I think maybe the school admin needs some fidget toys. They obviously have nothing better to do some days.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 11:44 am

StarTrekker wrote:
Knofskia wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:
Knofskia wrote:

Agreed. It reminds me of that old cliche, "If all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you?" Doing something just because everyone else is doing it makes zero sense to me. :|

I always hated that when I was a kid because they would be missing the point when they would be saying it to me or saying "just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean you can." I was trying to figure out the rules and figure out right from and wrong and how to act and I relied on other people to figure it out so how am I supposed to know something is wrong or that something is optional? If you know you're different and not like everyone else so you want to be normal because you want to be liked and have friends and not be seen as weird or mean or rude, you will be trying to copy other people to be normal and to fit in. But apparently the adults didn't understand so they thought I was just doing what most kids do and then use that excuse of "But Seth did it" or "but my friends do it," they know it's wrong but do it anyway while I was just confused and couldn't figure it out so I had to rely on everyone around me. That never suited well with me.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 12:33 am

I tried out my nephew's fidget spinner and found it was a not a stimming enhancer, but the opposite because the toy was doing most of the work not my body.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tom Parker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 May 2017, 12:41 am

StarTrekker wrote:
Knofskia wrote:

I completely agree. I'm new here by the way and I see that you're a fan of Star Trek: Voyager and Seven of Nine. I finished the series early this year after watching Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Seven of Nine is one of my favourite Star Trek characters.

Feel free to chat with me or add me on Facebook

Facebook profile: https://m.facebook.com/?hrc=1&refsrc=ht ... r.71404976

Oathdagger96
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 May 2017, 5:07 am

I like what Ricky Berwick thinks
https://youtu.be/dLgQsiZKAJ4