Hummingbird

16 May 2017, 5:07 am

I like what Ricky Berwick thinks
https://youtu.be/dLgQsiZKAJ4

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 11:49 am

They might be just another harmless fad like yo-yo's and Rubik's Cube, but NTs are hating them with a passion for no real reason, and they are using spinners as a new reason to hate autistic people. Because you know, it's not like we have enough reasons to be hated. :roll: I saw a video not long ago where someone was using a spinner and approximately 98% of the comments mentioned autism by people clearly have no idea what it means. One genius even spelled autism wrong. Stupid world!

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

19 May 2017, 6:11 pm

Those fidget spinners annoy me because of the noise they make. I use a mini slinky as a fidget toy so I try not to get agitated when they have there fidget as well. When the teacher is talking.... thats when the noise is a huge distraction for me. :?

Senhin
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 May 2017, 3:59 am

I have never seen any of these, but I don't see a lot of people.

I've just gone and ordered one of the cubes. Maybe it'll get less scowls than when I'm rocking, swiveling my chair or wearing headphones in work.

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 May 2017, 6:59 am

I just got a spinner and cube having been made curious about them. I like having the spinner in my hand and the sensation it makes when spinning. I fidget a lot and in the past have been very destructive in my fidgeting so I'm keen to see if one of these work for me in terms of keeping me calm and also focused. I don't find them useful for focusing on work however as I need both hands to type!

Chester
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 May 2017, 9:52 am

StarTrekker wrote:
I'm not going to lie, it irritates me slightly that things that are technically designed to be therapeutic tools for people with specific disabilities have now become a fad, or "fashionable" for lack of a better word. It feels a little like if weighted vests were to suddenly become cool, and everyone was wearing them everywhere just because. I feel like it takes away from the gravity of the fact that these objects have a medical purpose, and subsequently, it takes away from the gravity of the experiences of people who need them for said medical purpose. I wouldn't hobble around on crutches just to look cool. I dunno, just my two cents on the matter. :|

I have sensory processing disorder and have been using a weighted blanket to relax for about 4 years. There's something so calming about it. But holy crap, weighted items are expensive. My wife actually made one for me herself because buying a readymade one would have been $80 or something. My son (who has SPD) also has a weighted vest for school and it helps him stay focused and organized. But I've also known NT people who try out a weighted blanket and are like "Hey, this thing feels really good" and find that it helps them relax too, so they buy one. If more people buy weighted blankets, that eventually drives down the price and makes them more readily available--and I do think that's a good thing.

Fidgeting is normal, developmentally appropriate behavior for children. Some neurodiverse children might fidget more than NT children, but all children fidget. Doodling in class has been found to actually improve concentration. I used to teach classrooms with a combination of mainstream and special ed students, and it never bothered me when my students drew in the margins of their notebooks--whether or not this was specifically mandated in their 504/IEP. My son is in a very progressive, democratic school environment, and no one has banned fidget spinners they just had a community meeting to discuss ground rules for using them appropriately, which I think is a great way to go about it.

Montessori education began as a special education method. Many of Dr. Montessori's theories came about due to her work with developmentally disabled children, but her educational approach has helped many nondisabled children since then

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 9:12 pm

danieldoesnotexist wrote:
They aren't even good toys to fidget with, you just spin it and hold it.
Isn't there a better type of fidget toy than spinners?

danieldoesnotexist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jun 2017, 1:07 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
danieldoesnotexist wrote:
They aren't even good toys to fidget with, you just spin it and hold it.
Isn't there a better type of fidget toy than spinners?

Fidget cubes work well for me. Also flippy chains are pretty fun, too. I don't really like using them, tho. I feel like it makes my fidgeting problem get worse.

wtf

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jun 2017, 7:29 pm

I used the ol' fidget fingers. They're cheap and you always have them...on hand.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2017, 8:04 pm

I can't say I find a fidget spinner all that appealing, however I think I might enjoy one of these:
It might save my bus transfers and receipts I want to save, or any piece of semi important paper that gets in my hand in such a way I can crinkle it and/or tear it.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2017, 8:43 pm

How about a fidget dodecahedron?

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2017, 9:19 pm

I don't use it, but I have one.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2017, 9:24 pm

This is a good fidget toy.

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jun 2017, 12:28 am

I've had a cube for a litle while, it's quite good but the quality of the clicks isn't smooth enough for me.
I got a (very shiney) spinner and it's pretty to watch it spin, but as a fidget toy I prefer to holit flat in my hand and just turn the middle part in circles with my thumb, or just play with the weight of it in other ways.

Retro gamer87- what is that thing? It look skinda like Lego but not quite. I think it looks very cool.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 1:14 am

It's a Lego Technic V6 engine

Kaybono88
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jun 2017, 4:31 am

I've had a fidget cube for a few months now. It's ok. I've only just recently begun using it since I'd always forget to bring it with me. I just ordered a spinner from eBay. Not sure how it'll affect me. All I know is I can't wait till kids move on to the next fad. :lol: