Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 12:20 am

Nyctalope: What's ASMR?

Strings: Your post made me LMAO :lol:

You sometimes find the nicest, most charismatic people have really weird and 'not like them' expressions in photographs, whereas others look exactly the same in the photo as in real life. I think a lot of it has to do with confidence in front of the camera. If you're feeling awkward, you can always do something silly (and without cracking a smile, which would be much funnier). I went through a phase of always flashing a thumbs-up when I was a kid. It drove people crazy sometimes, but it was my security blanket against the unnatural medium of lensmanship. :mrgreen:

Nyctalope
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 May 2017, 9:13 am

you can read about ASMR on Wikipedia, it's just a nice feeling around the head.

Quote:
This is really interesting to me! I first realised about 18 months ago that I quite possibly have ASD, and since then as a result of my reading about the topic, I have become more and more aware of the "flat affect" that I have had all my life. Decades ago, as a child, I would be teased by my parents because in every photograph they ever took of me, I would be scowling or looking "grumpy." If they ever did manage to get me to "smile" in a photo, the best I could manage was a totally weird kind of "leer," that looked quite alarming.

I recently tracked down a few school group photographs, and in every one of them I appear with a scowl and a rather vacant expression with my arms held awkwardly and stiffly, while all the other kids look "normal" and with natural-looking smiles.

Over the years there have been many, many occasions where people have seemingly out of the blue asked me questions like "Are you OK?", or "What's wrong?", or said "Cheer up!", when I had absolutely no idea why they would say this. I have been realising recently that they must have been seeing my usual "flat" facial expression, and been assuming that I was unhappy, sad, or otherwise distressed, when in fact I was perfectly happy in my own thoughts.

As far as improving one's facial expression is concerned, I suspect that is very difficult. Like you, my mouth is always closed when I put on a "smile." At best, it looks rather condescending and disdainful, and at worst it looks positively evil. I tried googling for smiling face pictures just now, and I was amazed to realise how many of them involve people smiling with open mouths. If I try that in front of a mirror I either look completely ridiculous or else alarmingly sinister. I cannot possibly imagine learning how to put on a natural-looking smile with teeth showing.

All this thinking about "flat affect" makes me think that it really must be a huge give-away, to a trained person at least, that someone has ASD. Now that I think back over many incidents in my life, I suspect that a trained observer could easily have suspected ASD, based on seeing my facial expression, or lack thereof, and my "distant" expression.

Smiling in the photos is very difficult too, I remember once when I took a picture with 2-3 persons but I didn't manage to smile, we took the same picture a couple of times because they wanted me to smile but I couldn't and we had to give up.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 9:28 am

Nyctalope wrote:
you can read about ASMR on Wikipedia, it's just a nice feeling around the head.

Finally! There's a name for it! Yayyy! :D
I've been having ASMR experiences for years, and nobody understands when I try to explain how profoundly they affect me.

Nyctalope wrote:
Smiling in the photos is very difficult too, I remember once when I took a picture with 2-3 persons but I didn't manage to smile, we took the same picture a couple of times because they wanted me to smile but I couldn't and we had to give up.

At least you didn't smile just to go along with them and end up with a photo of yourself looking like the Joker or the Wicked Witch of the West, as I did. Good for you for sticking to your - unsmiling - guns. 8)

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

19 May 2017, 1:46 pm

I have difficulty regulating my smile. Sometimes people think I seem too happy and gives me a weird look, sometimes people don't think I look happy enough and they stop talking.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 3:42 pm

W91T wrote:
I have difficulty regulating my smile. Sometimes people think I seem too happy and gives me a weird look, sometimes people don't think I look happy enough and they stop talking.

I don't get people who can smile all the time. Like people you see on TV. Don't their faces hurt?

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

19 May 2017, 5:44 pm

Alita wrote:
W91T wrote:

I don't get people who can smile all the time. Like people you see on TV. Don't their faces hurt?

Right? Sometimes when I try to force a smile, my jaw begins to shake.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2017, 1:32 pm

W91T wrote:
Alita wrote:
W91T wrote:

Right? Sometimes when I try to force a smile, my jaw begins to shake.

I often look like I'm sucking a lemon.