Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2017, 8:23 pm

fifasy wrote:
When I was a pre-teen and a teenager I would have a wee or even defecate without using soap or liquid soap afterwards. I often didn't even wash my hands with water. I never got ill much and was a healthy child. Anyone else had similarly unconventional hygiene?

Well I still don't always keep up with washing my hands after everything, I wash them if they are dirty and since I have gotten dreads even more frequently because when I palm roll them(when you take it and roll it around in your palms to help them form and/or stick together)I don't want to get gunk from my hands in them. But yeah I don't really get sick all that often and when I do it's usually just a minor cold with chest congestion which is just gross but not really dehabilitating. On occasion I might get sick with a fever but that occurred more often when I was a child and got strep throat a lot up until I was seven and the time I got chicken pocks. At that time it seems like the common belief was you want to get that as a child because then you get immunity, apparently it's worse if you get it as an adult but not sure if that is the current view on it.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2017, 8:48 pm

When I was younger, I lived somewhere that was not the most sanitary. Adults always warned us that if we don't wash our hands, we'd get worms. A few of my classmates did get worms. And then I saw a documentary about people getting worms because they didn't wash their hands. All of that still disturbs me to this day.

Because of the horror stories of what would happen if I don't wash my hands, I almost compulsively washed my hands from a young age.

Now, though, I'm starting to realise in some cases, it's okay to not wash or sanitize.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2017, 6:21 pm

People with OCD who wash their hands over and over are actually destroying the "good" bacteria on their hands and stripping their skin of its naturals oils that keep it healthy, so they start having all kinds of skin problems and infections. Of course, being intellectually aware of this pretty much just adds to the anxiety and guilt. It's like, your brain is not getting the message that your hands are clean and don't need to keep washing. It must be all kinds of terrible. :(

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 9:22 am

I only wash my hands after taking a deuce and before handling food. I rarely wash them after peeing or emptying menstrual cup :D