Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 11:01 am

I've started buying second hand DVDs online and in shops. I usually watch a film every day now. I go for ones I haven't seen. Watching new films most days helps me avoid complacency. If I learn a new word I pause the DVD and look it up in the dictionary. Some of the films I watch change my perspective. One of the best feelings is watching a film I've heard people reference or say they like, and despite earlier thinking "what's that all about?" then getting it, understanding why people think it's a big deal. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was one of those films. I had seen a clip or two of it on YouTube and it looked awful. I couldn't imagine watching it because I thought it would spoil my idolatry of Jim Carrey as an infallible comic actor in Dumb & Dumber and Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. But despite the fact ESOTSM has too much swearing, few laughs and not the best dialogue it somehow is pulled together by the simplicity of it, a love story centred around forgiveness and honesty. To anyone who is addicted to TV series, I recommend you try switching over to films. They are so much better in my opinion. You constantly get surprised and there's no need to plan your schedule around catching episodes.