Empathy Issues: Autism vs Alexithymia

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2017, 5:48 pm

So I was listening to a podcast (I think it might have been Stuff You Should Know, but I didn't write it down and I played multiple ones today) and I heard something interesting. The speakers got off their main topic and started discussing the common belief that people with autism lack empathy. They were talking about a study that had been done that showed that autism is not the issue and many autistic people feel empathy (which many of us already knew). In fact, they mentioned a study about how, while people on the spectrum don't seem to recognize emotions facial expressions as well as other people, many might be more skilled at picking up on vocal cues. (I am going to try to find the source if I can).

They mentioned how the issue that may have really contributed to this myth could be alexithymia. It is an inability of a person to recognize the emotions they feel. The study they spoke of seemed to show that, although this is present in about 10% the regular population, it may have a prevalence among people with autism of as much as 50%.

Having never heard of this, I decided to look on the internet and found this study which is probably the one that was being referenced in the podcast:

Alexythmia, not Autism, Predicts Poor Recognition of Emotional Facial Expressions

http://openaccess.city.ac.uk/4539/1/Ale ... ychSci.pdf

I wasn't sure whether to place this in the general discussion section or here but I thought it would make an interesting discussion piece.

So, what are your thoughts?