Before You Look for Work Here Are Four Things You Should Abs

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 6:15 pm

I think this sort of thing happens in job interviews for "middle management" positions and above.

I was interviewed at a repository for politeness (a library). As per usual, I wasn't offered anything but the chair to sit on.

I've been on about 30 or so job interviews in my life. Never was offered anything.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 6:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I think this sort of thing happens in job interviews for "middle management" positions and above.

I was interviewed at a repository for politeness (a library). As per usual, I wasn't offered anything but the chair to sit on.

I've been on about 30 or so job interviews in my life. Never was offered anything.

Good. I don't want to have to memorize all those "coffee rules" :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2017, 7:26 pm

I accept water when it's offered and I think that's fine. Interviews are long and you get a dry mouth. Most places have them on hand specifically for this reason. This all seems too complicated. When I offer a beverage, the offer is genuine and not a test. People really judge you by this? Can anyone say this factually or are we postulating here?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 10:02 pm

It's real. It came up in a discussion that professional job interviewers were having on things they looked out for and used to rule out candidates. I remembered that one because it was the only one that I had never heard of.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 10:07 pm

B19 wrote:
It's real. It came up in a discussion that professional job interviewers were having on things they looked out for and used to rule out candidates. I remembered that one because it was the only one that I had never heard of.

I am not looking forward to a job interview :roll: .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 6:53 am

I agree with B19, I think interviewers want to get on with the business of interviewing, and any offer of a beverage that is more than just a glass of water is probably just a polite gesture.

Here's my take:
Politely decline any offer, with a genuine smile, eye contact, and a sincerely meant "Oh, no thank you I'm fine, that's very kind of you though!"

Don't just say "no thanks" with no smile -- it's only that kind of declining that may seem rude. Be very sweet even while turning down the coffee; declining will never cause offense if you're nice about declining. Just say no whatever it is.

That's your safest and best bet.

This gives them the impression that while you are still a friendly, polite person, you are none the less happy to be here for one thing only: getting on with the business of being interviewed for the job.

AngelFury
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Sep 2017, 9:37 am

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this out.

Voynich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Oct 2017, 10:32 am

spammer wrote:
These are all skills you can apply to other aspects of your life, including work. Neurotypicals spend millions of dollars each year on books and seminars to get them to this place.

"Neurotypicals" and autistics, evidently.

TrekNerd20
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Mar 2019, 9:06 pm

super helpful!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2019, 9:30 am

This part stood out:

"Nobody ever takes note of [my advice], because it's not the answer they wanted to hear. What they want to hear is "Here's how you get an agent, here's how you write a script...", but I always say, "Be so good they can't ignore you."

Nobody seems to want to hear "Work on improving yourself". Instead, they seem to want to hear a set of step-by-step instructions that will guarantee their success -- dress a specific way, wear a specific scent, strike a specific pose, recite specific lines ... it's almost as if they want to cast a spell that will force other people to like them!

I want to hire people who are good at what the job requires, not some random actor who can hit their mark and follow a script (unless I'm directing a training video).

Be the best you can be at what you do -- this works not only in finding a job, but in finding that "special someone" as well!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2019, 9:47 am

Fnord wrote:
This part stood out:

"Nobody ever takes note of [my advice], because it's not the answer they wanted to hear. What they want to hear is "Here's how you get an agent, here's how you write a script...", but I always say, "Be so good they can't ignore you."

Nobody seems to want to hear "Work on improving yourself". Instead, they seem to want to hear a set of step-by-step instructions that will guarantee their success -- dress a specific way, wear a specific scent, strike a specific pose, recite specific lines ... it's almost as if they want to cast a spell that will force other people to like them!

I want to hire people who are good at what the job requires, not some random actor who can hit their mark and follow a script (unless I'm directing a training video).

Be the best you can be at what you do -- this works not only in finding a job, but in finding that "special someone" as well!

Unfortunately, before I got disability, being good at your job no longer counts for anything. Nowadays, it’s not what you know, it’s who you blow! It’s part of the reason I could never hold a job for more than 2 years in my so-called profession. (Which is why I refuse to work for ANY contractor as an employee.)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2019, 9:55 am

Meistersinger wrote:
Fnord wrote:
This part stood out:

Unfortunately, before I got disability, being good at your job no longer counts for anything. Nowadays, it’s not what you know, it’s who you blow! It’s part of the reason I could never hold a job for more than 2 years in my so-called profession. (Which is why I refuse to work for ANY contractor as an employee.)
How unfortunate for you.

I hire (and fire) people based solely on their ability and willingness to do the work. Suck-ups and poseurs soon find themselves on the slow track to promotion, while those who continue with their educations -- or even just acquire another professional license in the same field -- soon find themselves giving orders to the suck-ups and poseurs.

Of course, a lot of disgruntled (ex)employees often recite that old "It's not whom you know..." speech -- as you just did -- but their opinions of how I run this facility and treat the better workers matter nothing to me.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2019, 10:11 am

I guess I can consider myself lucky that I only had to do an over-the-phone interview for my current (also first ever) job! I suspect my hiring chances would’ve been drastically lower had my interview been in-person.

#palestinianlivesmatter

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2019, 11:49 am

Fnord wrote:
I hire (and fire) people based solely on their ability and willingness to do the work. Suck-ups and poseurs soon find themselves on the slow track to promotion, while those who continue with their educations -- or even just acquire another professional license in the same field -- soon find themselves giving orders to the suck-ups and poseurs.

Of course, a lot of disgruntled (ex)employees often recite that old "It's not whom you know..." speech -- as you just did -- but their opinions of how I run this facility and treat the better workers matter nothing to me.[/color]

I'm glad you run your ship that way, but let me tell you I have come to the sad conclusion that where I live, both public and private employers (excluding entry level) hire and promote almost solely on nepotism. You could never accuse me of not knowing my job, being lazy or not having enough credentials as I now have more than my manager. Meanwhile, I have yet to get an employment offer since 2007 (my current job) and have applied for hundreds of jobs over the years. I actually tailor my resume and cover letter for each job too even if it's obvious they don't have a clue who the right candidate is.

My last job interview I mopped the floor with everyone else on part 1 (it was an Excel test and many of the people drove trucks for a living) but bombed the "scripted" part 2 of the process where you need to think of a tall tale quick. The questions had NOTHING to do with the job but I suspect that was intentional. I'm at the point where I don't know what else I could possibly to do improve myself.

soloha wrote:
People really judge you by this? Can anyone say this factually or are we postulating here?

I interviewed not once but twice for a job about 15 years ago (the first person didn't last two months). Both times I was rejected even though on paper I couldn't imagine many people having more credentials than I as it was a bit below my expectations salary wise. I have pretty much come to an understanding (knowing people that now work at that company) that I was rejected solely because I didn't put the glass of water he put in front of me in the sink or dishwasher. Who the $#@ would think to do THAT when you are already a nervous wreck? What a ridiculous and petty reason to reject what could be a dream candidate!

GlenCurtis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2019, 5:58 pm

Wow, good advices

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2019, 6:13 pm

Here's a chance for members to test their "spot the spammers in this thread trying to pose as ordinary members".