Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

PerSomnus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jul 2017, 7:44 pm

I live in a 900sq foot apartment with 4 people. There is no possible way to escape the sound. Especially when it's my dad with hearing loss watching extremely violent TV at high volumes. I hate tv. I hate it so much. I hate when people turn on the TV with every fiber on my being. I wish I could take a sledge hammer to every TV in the apartment and NEVER have another one in any home I ever live in ever again.

You can watch shows and movies on computers with headphones. Playing the TV loudly in a room where an autistic person who has sound sensitivities and hyperempathy for acted characters is CRUEL. They don't need to do it. They really really really don't need to use it but they do. I can't escape it and sometimes it makes me want to scream and take the nearest blunt weapon to the screen. My family knows I hate the TV but I don't think they get how deeply it bothers me.

Right now I have 30DB earplugs in and headphones music blaring at 100% and I can still hear the damn tv. It was so peaceful in the living before my dad turned on the tv and now it's loud and horrible and I want to leave but my sister is playing thing out loud in our shared room.

Sometimes it makes me feel like a cornered animal but requests for the tv to be turned off are "unreasonable" and "selfish". I can't leave the house to escape the sound either bc I'm physically disabled and live on top of a very steep hill.

I'm mostly venting but advice and stories of similar situations are welcome.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 8:07 pm

PerSomnus wrote:

I'm mostly venting but advice and stories of similar situations are welcome.

Rather than breaking the TV , just try minor sabotage e.g. hide remote controls , replace the fuses in the plug with blown ones , pull the video cables out slightly so picture is lost - you get the idea.
Although this is not a permanent solution it may give you 5 minutes of piece while people try to troubleshoot the problem.

Obviously I'm joking but I find this type of humour useful when people are venting.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 8:32 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
replace the fuses in the plug with blown ones

I was going to suggest the same thing.

OP, doesn't your dad have a hearing aid? If not, try suggesting that he get one.

I grew up with 8 small siblings and a mother who refused to turn off the TV at bedtime, so I can relate. Imagine what kind of mother insists on falling asleep to the sound of the TV and tells her child to climb down off the top bunk to turn it off herself. On a school night.

What your family is doing does seem cruel. Be certain that they truly understand how much the noise bothers you, and if they refuse to change...well I would consider sabotage. Repeatedly.

Maybe ask them for nicer headphones if that might drown out the sound better. I would even consider exaggerating about how terrible you feel if they refused to change. That's assuming the situation is dire for you, though.