Research exploring autism, depression and anxiety

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

LisaJones
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jun 2017, 1:30 am

Are you an adult (aged 18 years and over) with Autism Spectrum Disorder or Asperger’s Syndrome? Or are you interested in contributing to research exploring factors that may influence depression and anxiety in adults?

If so, we invite you to participate in a research study about the factors contributing to mental health in Autism Spectrum Disorder.

This research is being conducted by April Exelby, Rosemary Lucarelli and Lisa Jones; Masters of Psychology students completing their degree at Australian Catholic University.

What will participants do?

• Complete an online, which will take approximately 30 minutes to complete.

Who can participate?

• Participation is voluntary, but you must be 18 years or older.
• Participants in this research will be eligible to enter a draw to win a $50 voucher

To participate, all you need to do is complete a questionnaire which can be accessed:

▪ Online: https://acu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3ruQv5ZKNAeg41n

The project has been approved by the Australian Catholic University Human Research Ethics Committee

Thank you for your interest in the study.

Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact Supervisor, Dr David Hamilton on:

Phone +61 (03) 9953 3118, or via
E-mail: [email protected]

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 7:04 pm

I've sat the test, late, with no interruptions and found it more informative, less probing and unflattering than most of the other surveys that had been put up by unclear and dumbfounded researchers. These questions actually had some emotive raw depth to them.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 9:15 am

I wouldn't have been so depressed before I moved out if people would have listened to me once in a while and didn't try to take away my special interests or basically tell me I could never do certain things because THEY felt it would be too "hard" for me.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 8:12 pm

^^ Well, try sitting the test anyway, if you're worried or depressed about why researchers put these questions, well, they have to, that's what they do, research. Don't however expect them to understand any compassion, they skip on that for all intensive scientific purposes. I just did it because it gave me some renewed focus at the time and because it is a postive thing to improve awareness issues and not look at everything one sided in my own circumstances.
I can do full on questions,as long as its not rude and undermining, as I can always spot that. I don't need bribing from anyone, its how the message is being portrayed that speaks volumes. These people don't always have a clue, they study genes all day long, but if more people stepped up and not be so scared that someone might be trying to cure them of their condition instead of just listen, then maybe it would add to more group talks on how best a child can be educated at school, and get help financially or otherwise, to grow more independant, if they display any usua/unusual signs of autism. Not everyone is comfortable with it, and I usually don't enjoy all this mean testing business either.
I certainly don't need a gene therapist, not that they're available in the U.K. Befrienders are about as good as you're gonna get, and even then you have to be careful that you don't make an oversight into how that person percieves you. What people don't allow for is if you think a certain way, you think a certain way and that's it. The other person can accept it or get over the fact they've failed on their understanding on how cognital renewal actually works. A neurotypical person has high expectations and, cannot grasp periceved failure on, the part of the person they have no wish to adapt to train-, as far as systems go. Prospects are only based in four major cities, and no one thinks to roll that one out.

LisaJones
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jul 2017, 1:38 am

Hi all,

We are still seeking participants and will be doing so for the next few months, so please feel free to share amongst your networks.