what are ur thoughts on the new netflix show ATYPICAL?

Page 1 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2017, 6:48 pm

I'll watch it out of curiosity. I thought the Netflix film Asperger's Are Us was decent. We'll see ...

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 7:30 pm

Yey , it just turned up on UK Netflix. I'm on episode 3 at the moment.

I don't really relate to Sam that much. Does anyone think Sam's mum is also on the spectrum or is her behaviour indicitive of mum's of kids on the spectrum , coz I relate to her more :roll:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Strangelittlegirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2017, 8:52 pm

I actually like it so far. I'm not as far on the spectrum as the main character, so I can't say how accurate that part is. I relate to a lot of what he goes through (the scene with his g-friend touching his things triggered the hell out of me). The only thing I don't like is that the parents were poorly cast. I like Jennifer Jason Leigh and Michael Rappaport, but they're too...I don't know...dirty? Like I'm having a hard time believing that Leigh's character was ever a mean girl in high school or is a suburban soccer mom. Maybe it's the parts they played in the past? I don't know. I don't buy for a second that they're white bread kind of people.

Strangelittlegirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2017, 8:55 pm

SaveFerris wrote:

I don't really relate to Sam that much. Does anyone think Sam's mum is also on the spectrum or is her behaviour indicitive of mum's of kids on the spectrum , coz I relate to her more :roll:

I was thinking the same thing! I haven't finished it yet, but I wonder if that's the direction they're headed.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 9:25 pm

I watched the trailer and I don't relate to the main character.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 9:39 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I watched the trailer and I don't relate to the main character.

Me neither :D . I just feel like the main character isn't like me very much.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 10:00 pm

I watched the trailer, and it doesn't look even remotely interesting to me, aside from the portrayal of autism. I'm probably not going to bother with it unless people say it's really good, in which case I might give it a try.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 6:06 am

Strangelittlegirl wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

I was thinking the same thing! I haven't finished it yet, but I wonder if that's the direction they're headed.

It was the scene in mall that made think that , when she asked Sam if the beep beep was annoying , I couldn't work out if she had sensory issues or was just worrying about Sam , unless of course she's been Aspergated ?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 7:29 pm

Just binged it to till end and thought it was too short , I'm craving more.

Have to say the funniest line I've heard in a TV programme for a long time was:

"I even used the stuffing from Paige's murdered penguin as snow" :lol:

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2017, 10:22 pm

It makes me laugh and I find myself relating to the main character more than I expected.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 12:51 pm

I've seen it in the trending section on Netflix, and I've been wondering if I should watch it. Hmm... I might do.

Pete Wood
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Aug 2017, 3:55 pm

I have now watched them all, interesting and funny. Clearly an overblown character with every trait thrown in, but great to see this on a mainstream program. I don't relate to him much but aspects hit home. All the characters are pretty good, be worth another series to see how it develops. Hope they throw in at least another character on the spectrum.

Aspie Quiz Neurodiverse score 141/200 Neurotypical score 60/200
Proud to be different!

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 8:29 pm

Prequel to big bang theory, a day in the life of Sheldon Cooper.

Unrelated to autism: takes me back to the I, Daniel Blake film about a man with physical disabilities struggling through the welfare system. Or myself for example who has also been failed by benefits and fallen through the cracks due to my mental health issues

lazyflower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2017, 10:28 pm

Only watched one episode and am not gonna watch more. Safe to say I didn't like it. How I see it, the issue with having an autism-themed fictional form of entertainment is that it has to be exactly that. Entertaining.

In this show, we're supposed to laugh at the autistic main character. I suppose there's nothing wrong with finding humor in things, but this felt more like mocking. At least to me. The main character was also terribly stereotypical. I know and have known tons of autistic people in my life and none of them have been like him. Fair enough if people on the spectrum like him do actually exist, he just didn't seem like the most accurate representation. From what I watched, he had no issues with going to school at his public high school while also being able to hold a normal job at a store on the side, however he suddenly bursts out the door and, for no reason, yells "twat!" at a random girl standing at the front door. That was just so odd to me and I've never encountered an aspie who'd do something like that. But again, what do I know. I guess they always need to exagerate certain areas when it's for entertainment.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 7:30 am

Based it the trailer it looks a little unrealistic.

Poon City is not a real place? Do they think aspies can't spot a joke? Do they think we're like Data from Star Trek?

The whole premise is unrealistic. A show about the dating life of a teenaged aspie. The majority of us didn't start dating until we were well into our twenties.

Here's a trailer for a more realistic show about a 22 year old aspie. It has a close resemblance to my life when I was 22.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 7:51 am

lazyflower wrote:

In this show, we're supposed to laugh at the autistic main character. I suppose there's nothing wrong with finding humor in things, but this felt more like mocking. At least to me.

That's exactly my feeling and when I laughed it was like guilty laughter - mocking the afflicted :roll: