Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Which color are you most sensitive to in a negative way?
Green 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Brown 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Blue 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
White 10%  10%  [ 8 ]
Red 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
Yellow 18%  18%  [ 14 ]
Black 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
NONE. I am not negatively sensitive to any colors. 40%  40%  [ 31 ]
Orange 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Purple 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Another color that isn't listed in this Poll 13%  13%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 78

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 3:22 pm

For me it is DEFINATELY the colour/color RED.

When I used to drink alcohol as a way of coping with life it didn't bother me too much, but after I stayed at a treatment centre & returned home, upon walking into my sitting room I was literally bombarded by all the colours.
On the bookshelf there were so many different coloured books, and the red ones just sent me into overload. It was visual sensory overload.

As a result I got rid of ALL my books apart from 5 favourites (3 of which have red on them but as it is such a small area it is OK).

To me, things that are Red stand out from everything else. Maybe that is the same for everyone as RED signals DANGER & Red is the colour of blood.

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.

fleurdelily
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2014, 3:24 pm

pink. Its very condescending

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 3:36 pm

Pink for me. Only because it's forced onto you when you're a girl. Another color I don't like is brown because it doesn't match anything and it also makes me think of poop.

Makar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jan 2014, 3:47 pm

I feel this way about vivid yellow colors, though most overly bright colors I find repulsive, especially when they're all together or clashing with each other. I think I notice and am more bothered by this type of thing than other people and I wish I knew why.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 3:49 pm

Makar wrote:
I feel this way about vivid yellow colors, though most overly bright colors I find repulsive, especially when they're all together or clashing with each other. I think I notice and am more bothered by this type of thing than other people and I wish I knew why.

Ahh yes, you remind me, I also don't like neon colors, they actually hurt my eyes.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 3:56 pm

I am not really sensitive to one particular color but I don't like bright vivid colors, especially neon shades of green, yellow, orange or pink. It hurts my eyes.

What bothers me more is seeing the wrong colors in combination with each other, when they seem like they clash or contrast too much or just don't really compliment each other well.

I am more sensitive to subtle shades of color than most people. Things that just look beige or off-white to other people, will have a definite shade of color to me.

Makar

20 Jan 2014, 4:23 pm

This is not a scientific article but I think some of the things said here are accurate for me and maybe for others here.

http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/colo ... 16787.html

Parts I found particularly interesting:

"researchers have found that many children with sensory disorders see colors with "greater intensity" and so bright colors may appear "nearly fluorescent," making pastels much easier on their eyes."

"Kids with sensory issues may have problems with bright colors such as red, orange, yellow and purple, as the brightness can be too intense for them. Bright white can also be disturbing to kids with sensory issues and may increase anxiety. When colors and patterns are too chaotic or bright, it creates a very distracting environment for kids with sensory issues, according to the "Implications" newsletter."

I'm very interested in how this could relate to sensory processing disorder, because that is what I suspect it is in my case.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 4:35 pm

Yellow, because it's the color of urine and pus and jaundice. :eew:

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 4:55 pm

Now do you mean negative in the sense of, it causes physical discomfort,or if you just don't aesthetically like it?

Diagnosed in 2005

matt
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 5:08 pm

Looking at the color red is physically painful for me, yes.

Pastels are definitely much easier on the eyes.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 5:26 pm

Makar wrote:
"researchers have found that many children with sensory disorders see colors with "greater intensity" and so bright colors may appear "nearly fluorescent," making pastels much easier on their eyes."

Interesting! I remember seeing colors much more vividly when I was young than I do now. There were certain picture books I loved looking at because the colors were very intense and would just jump out at me. I remember it started to fade when I was around 6-7 years old and I was very sad about it. I would go look at the same books and the colors looked faded and didn't excite me the same way.

But to this day I guess I still see colors more vividly than other people do, because another person will tell me something is "beige" and I definitely see it as yellow or pink. I actually get into arguments with people over what color things are.

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 5:44 pm

as a painter of long standing, i have always maintained there is no such thing as a "bad" color. however, combinations of colors are like combinations of words: they always mean something. i have actually been amazed, for instance, that people who go into painting can enjoy some of the combinations they use. to me, these can be as painful as the sound (to others) of chalk skidding, or a dog barking incessantly. i can only conclude that tastes in this, as in much else, vary enormously.

the kind of painter i am, is such that the colors chosen seem to matter more than what they depict or, indeed, any forms whatsoever the artist uses.

i suppose this is a minority among painters. i don't know if it has anything to do with asperger's.

reasoning." --William Blake

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 5:48 pm

I clicked on red. it was more as a child that I could not stand looking at the colour red. I don't mind it so much now.

These days I have a low tolerance for yellow for some reason.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 5:55 pm

Bright yellow probably bothers me more than any other color. It just seems "loud" to me. But I like a pale, soft yellow. I have two rooms in my house painted in a soft yellow.

I am very picky about picking paint colors and decorating with colors. Some people can just put whatever stuff they have into a room and it doesn't matter to them what color it is, but I need all the colors to go together. I would be a great interior decorator if I could do the social part of it, but I can't even imagine dealing with the kind of snooty people who hire decorators.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 6:12 pm

The only color I dislike is orange. But even for that I wouldnt say that Im 'negatively sensitive".

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 6:27 pm

I said orange too. There's a reason they use it for traffic cones and hunting jackets – it's horribly bright!