Observing and analysing possible new obsession

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

29 Aug 2017, 2:40 am

I have found something interesting that I think could become a new special interest and I thought it might be useful to observe how the interest progresses and develops. Sort of like a scientific experiment. Of course, the observation process may affect the outcome, but I just thought it would be interesting and maybe others could compare with their experiences.

In this case, it is fancy Goldfish. My husband has been keeping a couple of aquariums for a few years now, and is wanting to upgrade. And I keep looking at the big fat goldfish in the fish shop and thinking how cute and beautiful they are. So he has said if I want to, when he upgrades I can use the old tank.

So here, in simple list form (which we love), is how things are going so far:
- Yesterday I bought a simple introduction book to goldfish
- I started reading it in the car on the way home, even though I normally don't read in the car.
- I got home, and didn't put the book down until I had finished reading it.
- I didn't read the book in order, I read what I thought were the most interesting parts first and then read the other parts in between.
- I then did a little googling, maybe half an hour of looking up internet advise to compare with what I'd learned in the book.
- I made a list of some of the things that I would need if I chose to go ahead.

Associated feelings:
- I feel rather happy about the idea, not yet bouncing up and down, but actually smiling.
- I feel slightly worried that I will be able to look after the fish properly.
- I found the facts about the fish's biology very interesting, like the way that they smell and hear.
- Writing this post about it is making me happy and smiling.

As yet, I do not think that this goes much deeper than an ordinary interest. But I will continue to observe and see how it progresses.

Hooj
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Aug 2017, 4:14 am

I went through this same process (or very similar) a week or so ago about dogs. I am aware of the process I go through when something catches my attention nowadays. I have also learned to stop and wait and see if the interest wanes or whether it stays. This saves fortunes on impulse buying if nothing else. Works for me. Fascinating to be able to observe oneself, isn't it?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 9:52 am

Ooo an obsession may be forming :D ! I go through this process as well whenever I get interested in something again. It's quite cool!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 11:56 am

My obsession in London has crept up on me again, for the third time in my life. I think it's Groovy, Baby!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 12:00 pm

An obsession with goldfish is pretty harmless.

It would be interesting to catalogue "the genesis of a Special Interest." Very pertinent to an Autism forum!

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

30 Aug 2017, 12:41 am

Hooj wrote:
I went through this same process (or very similar) a week or so ago about dogs. I am aware of the process I go through when something catches my attention nowadays. I have also learned to stop and wait and see if the interest wanes or whether it stays. This saves fortunes on impulse buying if nothing else. Works for me. Fascinating to be able to observe oneself, isn't it?

That's cool. And it is fascinating, which I think in part makes the interest more interesting, if that makes any sense. This is my first chance to do this since getting diagnosed.

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

30 Aug 2017, 1:02 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Ooo an obsession may be forming :D ! I go through this process as well whenever I get interested in something again. It's quite cool!

I'm glad that I'm not the only one! I think that is it great that you understand yourself so well at a young age. Took me way too long to work myself out.

CockneyRebel wrote:
My obsession in London has crept up on me again, for the third time in my life. I think it's Groovy, Baby!

I lived in tube Zone 6 for a while, London must be great thing to have an obsession with as there is so much to know and it's a fantastic place. I have also noticed how some interests seem to re-occur. I recently started playing Guildwars again too- whoops! there's 3 hours gone!

kraftiekortie wrote:
An obsession with goldfish is pretty harmless.

It would be interesting to catalogue "the genesis of a Special Interest." Very pertinent to an Autism forum!

I was wondering how interesting it would be for others to read. I like your title too.

(just worked out how to do multiple quotes too.)

So to continue the catalogue, yesterday I spent the afternoon sorting out furniture and bookshelves. This is something that I have been thinking about for a long time, and needed to be done, but I could never motivate myself to do so or even figure out where to start. However, the place where I would put my tank is only half visible from my usual seat on the sofa, so I needed to move the storage units that were in the way, which meant I had to make space in my kids room, which meant I spent all afternoon moving things around.

Conclusion: The idea of making room for a new interest gave me the needed push of motivation to do something I would otherwise have struggled to do. Special Interest > Procrastination + Block in Executive Function

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 9:34 am

Thank you! :D ^^^^^^^^^

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2017, 2:09 am

So a few notes as an update.

I'm noticing a bit more focus on my interest.

- I joined a goldfish forum to ask some questions.
- I have been looking up a lot of information on the internet about how to look after them, but I think anyone would do this.
- I have also been watching videos of the different varieties and thinking of which types I like best. Also as a relaxing thing to watch pretty goldfish.
- I got a second book from the library. The special bit that I think is unusual is that sometimes I take one of my books around the house with me when I am doing chores, even though I'm not going to be reading it, I like having it near me.
- I have made two lists: the things I will need to buy and the things I will need to ask when we go to the fish shop.
- I have decided that the theme for naming my goldfish will be pirates, because the multicoloured ones are called calico and there was a famous pirate called Calico Jack. (My husband did some "interesting facts about pirates" research after we watched Black Sails.)
- Sometimes I just sit there daydreaming about my fish. When I'm tired I just want to curl up and think about fish. I find that I'm also talking it a lot.

Today we go to the fish shop to get my husband's new tank. I am very excited about this, and that I can go and see what kind of goldfish they have now that I know what I'm looking at. I will also get to buy them stuff like new gravel and water testing kit etc. I'm bouncing (literally) a little about it too.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 4:18 am

It's really difficult for one interest to usurp another. But usually it's sudden and never truly replaces the previous one. Sometimes they alternate and other times I just lose interest suddenly. I saw a soccer game and I've never been interested in it but this one time I watched it, I felt completely captivated by it. After that I spent several days watching games and I've somehow learnt teams, different strategies, game terms, famous players and countries. Some interests will bleed into others, like my interest with dogs turning into interest in animals in relation to dogs (hard to explain).