Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Roo95
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Sep 2017, 1:46 pm

Hello, does anyone else have this issue?

I have always had this issue since I can remember but basically, quite often I'm very nervous when around a large amount of people, from the supermarket, to walking through town, when at work especially when at work when I'm waiting in the line at the clock out machine. I feel very overloaded, especially when people enter my personal space. I can't bare it when people stand too close to me, I can't sit next to people either unless were a couple feet apart. I once went out with 4 work colleagues on a night out where we were visiting some local bars for a drink for me as I was leaving to start a new job. And the whole time I couldn't enjoy it because being around these people in those settings made me feel extremely nervous and anxious. My boss kept telling me to calm down and stop being nervous. And one of my house mates bought quite a few of their other friends round the apartment and I was in my friends room with 9 other people and again feeling nervous, one of them asked why I'm acting so weird. I find I act strangely also when I'm around a group of people. My mum has aspergers also and she is the same. could this be AS related or something else?

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 8:04 pm

It could be. Can you pinpoint what it is that makes you feel nervous around people? Is there something particular that you area afraid will happen?

Graceling
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Sep 2017, 12:13 am

I find groups of people, as in more than about 3, to be difficult to handle. I can't say exactly why, it's just that I'm constantly *aware* of them, and that gets tiring. Crowded bars are the worst - weird lighting, loud music, shouted conversations, and people everywhere. And personal space is a big thing for me, too. Unless you're a person I hug frequently (that is, romantic partner or very close friend), back the smeg off!

In a setting where I'm less likely to interact, like the supermarket, it's not as bad, but if it's especially crowded and there are loud people and crying children, etc., etc., etc., I get overwhelmed very easily.

I don't know if any of that helps, but you're definitely not the only one.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 12:24 am

Severely. I'm spineless when around people. You can come punch me and I will just cry. But I don't get it, I have this problem in person but on the computer I'm perfectly capable of defending myself. I know there's a difference but why is it that huge? How come I can't seem to learn how to diminish my anxiety around people? My psychologist told me it's actually curable, unlike something like OCD. I hope that's true (I've gotten close at times, forcing myself into intense situations and sometimes I will collapse but other times I actually do pretty well).

Roo95
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2017, 2:56 pm

AspieSingleDad wrote:
It could be. Can you pinpoint what it is that makes you feel nervous around people? Is there something particular that you area afraid will happen?

It's difficult to explain. As the feeling I get, im not sure if I even is nervousness as i have been nervous in situations before but this feeling feels a bit different. Im not really worried about anything happening. I just feel extremely overloaded in a way. Don't really understand it at all. I forget how to act normal. It gets worse when in a group conversation with people who aren't close friends. At work at the car dealership I worked at last was in A group conversation with 6 other colleagues who were all talking to me about something and I began to get overwhelmed, disoriented and couldn't tell who was saying what so I had to walk away. I also find that i stim a lot when around people, I do this stim where I roll up the corner of my sleeve and roll it between my fingers and squeeze it

Last edited by Roo95 on 16 Sep 2017, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 3:04 pm

Being around a lot of people makes me nervous as hell (like a whole crowd). I really, REALLY don't like it at all. It makes me feel very anxious, and it makes me wish that I could get away from them so that I would feel more safe.

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on September 16, 2017)