Is it easy to get a diagnosis without family?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PaperMajora
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Aug 2017, 8:56 pm

When reading about being diagnosed, a common thing I see is the suggestion of bringing an older family member to talk about your childhood. Problem is that my family all have pretty bad memories compared to me and get stuff about my past wrong or don't even remember things from more than two years ago. So if I brought them along they could get stuff wrong, or deny stuff I've done ever happened. Is it possible to get a diagnosis on just your word alone?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 8:58 pm

At your age, and in the absence of blatantly autistic symptoms, it might be difficult to obtain a diagnosis without a history from your parents. If you were in your 40's, it might be easier.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 9:07 pm

I'm pretty sure that, when I got my diagnosis at age 36, the psychologist had said something along the lines of "it would be good if I talk to your parents, but if you'd prefer them not to know you're getting the assessment, we can do it without them".

In my case, I had no problem with my parents knowing (I'd already discussed the possibility with them), so I had the psychologist phone them and they had a conversation on the phone.

Talk to the psychologist about the situation - the worst he/she can say is that they can't do the diagnosis without them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 9:12 pm

I agree. Never hurts to try.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 9:37 pm

I sort of have the same issue as you PaperMajora but have been told by someone that the "The Diagnostic Interview for Social and Communication Disorders (DISCO) " method is done without family input.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 6:59 am

When I investigated a formal diagnosis a few years back, I was told point blank they won't do it without a parental interview. That's not going to happen so I guess I will forever remain self/informally diagnosed. What if your parents were killed? Are you suddenly NOT on the spectrum? I don't need my parents to tell me that I have had these symptoms since childhood: I remember quite vividly at 3 not fitting it with other kids. My mother is in complete denial and my father thinks that it's a made up diagnosis so what is a truth seeker supposed to do? For what it's worth, two psychologists told me that their impression is that I most certainly have it so that's good enough for me.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 7:06 am

They can use DISCO (see above) for older people who have no choice but to have no family input.

I had no choice -- my parents are long-deceased, and existing family members are very long-time estranged from me, a situation which quite a few adult people on the spectrum also share, that of estrangement/ostracization from family.

Also compiled stuff from diaries started in childhood, and anything and everything I could bring to the table literally or figuratively.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 11:02 am

I understand estrangements from family members all too well.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 11:02 am

I know of someone who got a hold of school records and the notes the teachers made regarding behavior and progress from kindergarten onward was very helpful.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 11:03 am

Yep...of course you're right, Ezra.

Probably even more valuable than a parent's recollection.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 11:58 am

I would think not. If you have a family that is in denial of your problems or can't remember your symptoms, or if they are all gone, I think it would be impossible unless you had school notes and your school records and could somehow get in touch with your old childhood friends and teachers and hope they remember you and also if you have medical reports too from other doctors and can get a hold of your old therapists and get records from them. But yet I had an aspie friend who was somehow diagnosed without his family members and no formal testing either I believe but it took him a few months for it to be official than suspected.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 12:16 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
They can use DISCO (see above) for older people who have no choice but to have no family input.

I had no choice -- my parents are long-deceased, and existing family members are very long-time estranged from me, a situation which quite a few adult people on the spectrum also share, that of estrangement/ostracization from family.

Also compiled stuff from diaries started in childhood, and anything and everything I could bring to the table literally or figuratively.

Do you know how it works when parents are contacted ( I'm sure it's probably different depending on what method is used , or what county you are in ) , do they just ask if they noticed anything different or do they actually ask if any particular behaviours were apparent?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 12:18 pm

There are some shows without "scores" which are very good. They are known as plays :wink:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 12:18 pm

EzraS wrote:
I know of someone who got a hold of school records and the notes the teachers made regarding behavior and progress from kindergarten onward was very helpful.

I need to get hold of my old school reports but I think the majority of them say "Could try harder" ( that's the comment that's stuck in my head anyway )

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 12:19 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I need to get hold of my old school reports but I think the majority of them say "Could try harder" ( that's the comment that's stuck in my head anyway )

Most of mine say she is a good student, but she should "go above and beyond" more. I didn't know what they wanted from me!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 12:19 pm

You should see "The Iceman Cometh," Ferris. You would enjoy it.