New therapist questioning my diagnosis - can you help me?

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 7:12 pm

ghostprince wrote:
You know, pieces of paper can say anything, someone with AS could be diagnosed as schizoid or whatever and they'd still be aspies.

I know, usually because of unskilled generic clowns trying to be experts in fields they know nothing about.

I've read several posts here on WP over the years about people being diagnosed by "wheel of fortune" therapists until they saw an expert and got the right diagnosis.

If you want to stay with him it's ultimately your call.

ASDABCs
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Sep 2017, 7:18 pm

underwater wrote:
Maybe ask this therapist to go somewhere crowded with you? Autistic people can present very differently in a one-to-one setting in a nice, quiet room.

Take him to an amusement park with you before you accept him undiagnosing you :mrgreen:

This. My counselor said she "didn't see Autistic traits" in me, but she should've asked my classmates-- they believed it.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2017, 11:53 am

OP, your therapist needs to become aware that this kind of questioning can lead to an autistic person going into a tailspin of self doubt. This is what I think is happening here, and he simply needs to learn how to talk to an autistic. If you like, tell him that someone on a forum for autistics pointed this out.

I've been going through the diagnostic process recently, and one thing that stands out for me is the difference in the way my original therapist talked to me, which was often frustrating to deal with, and the experience of communicating with someone with extensive knowledge of autism. I've never met anyone who instantly knew how to talk to me before. He also pointed out that questioning one's diagnosis is something autistics tend to do a lot, but most other people don't.

ghostprince
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Sep 2017, 3:19 am

Hi everyone!

I've seen my therapist and I've told him all the discussion we've had here.

He admitted he doesn't have the specialization to diagnose or un-diagnose me, agreed with me when I said mild autism isn't a list of symptoms indicating a problem but a group of peculiarities which can give problems in the outside world but can be dealt with in better ways; he agreed completely when I told mild autism is mild for others and not for the autistic person, and we've decided something very wise:

that I tell him more precisely about my own difficulties (not those of all autistic people in general, those I experience in person) and we're going to deal with just them, which is something he can do without resorting to diagnostic categories that would lead me and him away from my case.

This has led me for example to tell him about all the times I give automatic answers, which make perfect sense in the context but have nothing in common with the thing I actually think, because what I think is usually a long list of questions and confusion about the concepts given for granted by the other person, especially during small talk. But I learned this would be perceived as overwhelming and inappropriate so I shut up and say something random. The problem is that no one really knows me and what's in my mind.

He answered straight: they don't understand each other but they don't know, and so they go on talking without problems :mrgreen: precious.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 3:36 am

ghostprince wrote:
Hi everyone!

I've seen my therapist and I've told him all the discussion we've had here.

He admitted he doesn't have the specialization to diagnose or un-diagnose me, agreed with me when I said mild autism isn't a list of symptoms indicating a problem but a group of peculiarities which can give problems in the outside world but can be dealt with in better ways; he agreed completely when I told mild autism is mild for others and not for the autistic person, and we've decided something very wise:

that I tell him more precisely about my own difficulties (not those of all autistic people in general, those I experience in person) and we're going to deal with just them, which is something he can do without resorting to diagnostic categories that would lead me and him away from my case.

This has led me for example to tell him about all the times I give automatic answers, which make perfect sense in the context but have nothing in common with the thing I actually think, because what I think is usually a long list of questions and confusion about the concepts given for granted by the other person, especially during small talk. But I learned this would be perceived as overwhelming and inappropriate so I shut up and say something random. The problem is that no one really knows me and what's in my mind.

He answered straight: they don't understand each other but they don't know, and so they go on talking without problems :mrgreen: precious.

Your therapist actually sounds like a really sensible person. I really like that he gets that NT people talk past each other and are not aware of it. I had the feeling your therapist was not as bad as some people here would have it. We sometimes give up on people too fast, I think.

It was really great how you managed to express the thing about random responses. That's exactly the thing that's been a problem for me with my therapist. I know that I have a short window of time to respond to something, otherwise the other person will get mad at me, so I say any old thing, just like you.

I have an appointment with my regular therapist coming up, the first after diagnosis. Can I mention what you and your therapist discussed, about the random responses? It's really helpful to hear that others have the same issue.

ghostprince
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Sep 2017, 4:21 am

underwater wrote:
Your therapist actually sounds like a really sensible person. I really like that he gets that NT people talk past each other and are not aware of it. I had the feeling your therapist was not as bad as some people here would have it. We sometimes give up on people too fast, I think.

It was really great how you managed to express the thing about random responses. That's exactly the thing that's been a problem for me with my therapist. I know that I have a short window of time to respond to something, otherwise the other person will get mad at me, so I say any old thing, just like you.

I have an appointment with my regular therapist coming up, the first after diagnosis. Can I mention what you and your therapist discussed, about the random responses? It's really helpful to hear that others have the same issue.

Yes of course!

When I told him of my problem he immediately asked me if I had done something similar even with him during therapy. And I answered that I always wanted not to, but at the same time it's become an automatism so I can't guarantee I've never done it :(

Lol the funny thing is when I addressed this issues I had the impression I had always made it clear. Only by saying "I often answer randomly" I recognized I had never said it.

I have my moments of misunderstanding with this therapist, but I've learned that when I feel he's not understanding me, he wants to know. I've had another therapist before but I noticed she wasn't flexible enough to understand my point of view and stopped seeing her. It's easy to mistrust others because it happens 90% of the time. But either we give up on everyone and live a life of loneliness, or give some of our trust as wisely as we can.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 2:11 pm

as far as social skills:

I made a conscious decision to turn down my internal censor so that the default setting is that it's okay to go ahead and say something, unless it clearly jumps out at me as inappropriate.

Combined with the skill that, if someone needs space, go ahead and give them space. There'll be plenty of time later to casually mull over whether or not I made a mistake, or maybe they did. Neurotypical people make all kinds of mistakes, too!

Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 05 Oct 2017, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Oct 2017, 2:28 pm

Ask him what part of the diagnostic criteria does he not agree that you show or have. If he lists things not in the diagnostic criteria then he isn't qualified to tell you that he doesn't think you are autistic. If he lists things in the diagnostic criteria then you will have something tangible to start a conversation and build an idea of why he thinks this.