Has Anyone Had Their Driving License Affected

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 5:12 am

I live in Western Australia and I have only had to disclose my ADHD because I take dexamphetamine and it would show up on police drug tests. I have an empty medication bottle with my name on it and the prescribing doctor's name on it so maybe that will help if I am questioned.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2017, 2:22 pm

AspieSingleDad wrote:

What specific condition is requiring you to get a doctor's note? Autism?

Me, personally? I don't know. I've just started sensory integration therapy, but the therapist hasn't said a word about any kind of diagnosis. It's definitely neurological, but that's as much as they've been able to tell me with confidence.

Touretter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2017, 4:09 pm

I don't expect that I will ever be permitted to get a license , as I suspect that I have Sensory Processing Disorder , which interferes with my being able to successfully complete the maneuverability test , which my state , Ohio requires me to pass before being issued a license . It's even challenging for neurotypicals , as I understand . Like , my sister just barely passed it .

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 7:39 am

I can't drive due to my autism, so yes.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 8:06 am

Apparently in my province in Canada, our government website lists "Psychiatric Disorders (eg. Mood and anxiety disorders, ADHD, Schizophrenia)" as medical conditions that will affect safe driving but it says nothing about having your license taken away if the police were to somehow be informed of your psychiatric history. And why would anyone want to volunteer that information to the government? Unless you caused a horrific 10 car pileup on the other side of the road but there should be no reason to inform the government.

Of course, ALL of the above listed mental conditions just scream Autism and Aspies like us just need to be much more careful than the average NT does, that much is certain. There is no situation more unpredictable than driving a car, especially with many other cars with you on the road which are no doubt filled with ego-maniacal NTs. Add to that the congestion of NTs in big cities, versus small towns which would be much easier to manage. That regimentation and predictability that ASDs really need in life, is completely nonexistent in this situation.

Whew... let's just say I wish I had an Autism support dog with me during driving time, actually ALL the time. There's a huge amount of research to consider that these pups can GREATLY help with regulating moods. In Canada, Autism Support Dogs are given the same status in public places as guide dogs for blind folks. Cool huh? Worth looking into.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 8:21 am

Let me rephrase. I can’t drive because of my autism impairments.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 9:01 am

I live in NYC, where not having a car is really not too much of a hindrance.

But, in many places in the US, a car is required to get around and even to obtain employment sometimes.

I find that a physical inability to drive should be a criteria for qualification for disability benefits such as SSI. You're really limited as to what you can do if you're in an area with limited public transportation.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 9:44 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I live in NYC, where not having a car is really not too much of a hindrance.

But, in many places in the US, a car is required to get around and even to obtain employment sometimes.

I find that a physical inability to drive should be a criteria for qualification for disability benefits such as SSI. You're really limited as to what you can do if you're in an area with limited public transportation.

I take the Paratransit bus (door to door bus service). I also have disabled taxi discount vouchers, but I don’t use those because I am unable to take taxis alone. I live in a north suburb of Chicago with limited public transit, however I am unable to use public transit anyway.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 10:29 am

My father lives in the Streeterville section of Chicago. His wife is from the northern suburbs--Winnekta, to be exact.

I'm from Queens, New York City.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 11 Oct 2017, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 10:42 am

The only thing I have on my license is I wear glasses. I never disclosed any of my other disabilities because I don't like to be restricted or limited.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 12:06 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
My father lives in the Streeterville section of Chicago. His wife is from the northern suburbs--Winnekta, to be exact.

I'm from Queens, New York City.

I’m from Chicago originally.

Blomquist
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Oct 2017, 12:31 pm

As an Aspie, my biggest challenge was probably to communicate well with the instructor during driving lessons. I remember that we went to an icy track to train for winter conditions. It had these obstacles that moved into the road, and I had a nasty tendency to crash into them. The instructor failed to communicate successfully to me how to handle the car properly. After the lesson, I was asked about the experience. I said that I guessed I should just drive really slowly whenever there's icy conditions. I'm not totally sure that it was responsible to allow this approach. I do get more or less forced to drive in difficult conditions occasionally. Since everyone else drive quicker than me, I tend to get stressed when they're behind me and I can't easily let them pass. I don't really think that driving slowly is really a good long term solution here, so I would have liked to learn a little more about the handling. Anyone know about some good resources? I'm not sure if my experience with driving games on computers is reliable enough.

Nachtkrieger822
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2017, 1:15 pm

I can't say I agree that an ASD diagnosis itself is a reason that would prevent someone from driving. I'm able to handle many vehicles ranging from giant trucks, to cars, and even heavy equipment (tractors and earth movers) without issue. I even have a ZX10r sport bike which is capable of going 200 mph and a Subaru that is being converted into a 650 horsepower race car that I will be able to (Hopefully) race at the Atlanta Motorsports Park next year.

Go figure, I don't like noisy crowded places, but I'm fine with loud vehicles and the smell of racing fuels.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 153 of 200 - Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
Officially ASD Level 1 - No Intellectual/Language Impairment, Unofficially I say I'm an Aspie

Seid ihr das essen? Nein, wir sind die Jäger

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 9:57 am

Nope...can't really handle big vehicles. It's enough for me to handle a car or SUV.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 11:18 am

Blomquist wrote:
Anyone know about some good resources? I'm not sure if my experience with driving games on computers is reliable enough.

Although playing games is not reliable , some of the more advanced games can teach you the physics involved when driving - it's a good start. There are lots of videos on you tube. In the UK there are advanced driving technique courses which involve driving on a skid pan. Some disabled drivers ( amputees etc ) have to do these tests every time there is a change in their medical condition or treatment. Check if there is any advanced driving techniques in your local area although I just read that Norwegian driver’s education classes are among the most detailed on the planet.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 12:20 pm

Truthfully...the only way I was able to get my license....was to be forced by circumstance to drive without an instructor.

I don't advocate this for most people; probably, the driver-simulation stuff is essential.

I had about 70 lessons or so, and I couldn't get my license in 1993.

I had zero lessons, and a situation where I HAD to drive, and I got my license in 1998.