Asperger's Syndrome and Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Page 4 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Fiddlehead
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Apr 2013, 6:09 pm

I was curious by this thread so I took the NDP quiz on PsychCentral.

"Your Total: 5
Between 12 and 15 is average.
Celebrities often score closer to 18.
Narcissists score over 20."

So, I'm thinking they are not all that similar.

My SIL is NPD.

I would describe her as manipulative, for sure. She's so skilled at it I'm not sure she even realizes that she does it - it's just a part of who she is, all the time. I used to admire her extreme confidence and grand sense of self, just because it was so... intense! I was like - wow, she sure is confident! I wish I had some of that! When I'm talking to her, I know now that she's only pretending to be listening, and will look for any opportunity to bring the conversation back around to herself and her needs, wants and achievements. It's quite different than an AS person wanting to talk about their obsessive topical interests. She's had extra-marital affairs and did act remorseful when she was caught, though in hindsight she was kind of flaunting it, dropping hints, almost looking to get caught. She craves power. Here is a big trait - she has very lofty aspirations - she if fully honest about the fact that she wants and deserves to be rich, successful, and adored. But these aspirations are not very realistic (she doesn't like to work) and her spending habits have led to bankruptcy and foreclosures. I love her because she's my SIL, but I wouldn't choose to have her as a friend, and I'm much more guarded around her now.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Apr 2013, 6:28 pm

I took this test and scored 13 (even with possible pro-NPD exaggeration, because I was unsure about a few questions), so I guess I'm kind of normal in this spectrum. But still, why are my narcissistic traits so annoying to myself?

Gaby76
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2013, 11:12 pm

I don’t want to be bitter. I have always loved my sister and missed having a sisterly bond with her. I never disliked her, we just never had much in common. It hurts to realize now that she only tolerated me to remain in good graces with my mother. Of course I became obsessed with Narcissism and did my own research. Women often get wose as they age and the death of a parent can also make the condition worse.
The link between ASD and Narcissism is fascinating. A lack of empathy is a trait of each but it certainly effects them in different ways. My son has been diagnosed with NLD, ( said to be a specific form of AS ) . He had so much trouble in school getting in fights and was considered to be aggressive or defiant but that was a survival skill for him at that time.
AS is rampant in my family so it may well have a genetic link with Narcissism.

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 6:20 am

My ex was diagnosed with NPD, and for a long time I deeply admired some of her NPD related traits. But, in the end... ASD + NPD = Volatile relationship. At least in our case.

Assuming both conditions are genetically influenced... our son has a shot at the co morbid ASD/NPD status. I'll let yall know how that goes, eventually... right now he is 8, and seemingly NT-ish. Socially capable, kind, bright, spirited. Although... he does have an obsessive interest, and on rare occasions will blow my mind by weaving a significant web of lies (That are actually well orchestrated and believable well beyond what an 8 year old should be capable of)... so, you know, we'll see how that goes.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 6:38 am

NarcissusSavage wrote:
Assuming both conditions are genetically influenced... our son has a shot at the co morbid ASD/NPD status. I'll let yall know how that goes, eventually... right now he is 8, and seemingly NT-ish. Socially capable, kind, bright, spirited. Although... he does have an obsessive interest, and on rare occasions will blow my mind by weaving a significant web of lies (That are actually well orchestrated and believable well beyond what an 8 year old should be capable of)... so, you know, we'll see how that goes.

Well my grandma has a lot of simmilarities, especially to my routines, but when you look at it closely enough, she just fullfills the diagnostic criteria of OCPD (obsessive compulsive personality disoder). There are a lot of disorders who ar genetically connected to the ASD spectrum and also share some symptoms, but don't necesserally have to be ASD.

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 8:12 am

NeantHumain wrote:
A key area of difference is that, despite their emotional aloofness, narcissists frequently develop good social skills--in a sense. They may be able to put on a highly sociable façade when trying to impress someone but let that diminish once they have an established commitment from that person. They can also manipulate people to their selfish advantage and feel no anxiety about lying to someone.

Well, I have asperger and I have developped good social skills. I felt curious and just checked a test about Narcissistic Personality Disorder and it seems that I'm quite far from being Narcissistic.

So I would say that being asperger and having good social skills doens't involve, necessarily, being narcissistic.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

18 Apr 2013, 10:31 am

Noetic wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Bitter much?

Nasty, self-obsessed hypochondriac much?

Rule-breaker asking for a ban much?

Gaby76
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Apr 2013, 2:23 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
Noetic wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Bitter much?

Your comment to my post was very nasty. you got what you deserved so stop whinning

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

19 Apr 2013, 12:19 am

Gaby76 wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Noetic wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Bitter much?

Your comment to my post was very nasty. you got what you deserved so stop whinning

Because generalizing based on a bad experience with one person is very logical.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 8:07 am

thread from 2005 was resurrected and led to arguments within one page. that's about enough.