Asperger's Syndrome - No Sense of Humor

Page 16 of 17 [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 6:14 pm

Call of Booty.

Getting exited over each game (it's the same game guys) what next a thrice yearly release ? it wouldn't' surprise if it's on the mind of Adrian in accounts at Whore-avision

Oh wait that's just sad ,don't get me started on the Halo has beens , they once made a good game , 11 years on the jokes still going on.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 6:52 pm

Colinn wrote:
aussiebloke wrote:
I see it every time I come here, what is funny are the ones who claim their gifted in that regard when in fact their not (wont mention any names) :P

On the spectrum or not. You will find that most people have the ever burning desire to be considered talented, special, and interesting to other people to feel less insignificant. Aka, they want to be better than you and everyone else around them.

As for humor, I like dark and over the top humor, and some satire as well. Most of the time I actually find humor be quite boring. I often come across people that will exchange generic humor that just seems to be used to prevent silence. Like small talk.

Yes it is a sick world out their, when i see these people I just want to laugh (but I don't I keep it to myself :wink: )

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 6:54 pm

Interestingly one of the aspie members here claimed one well known (In this country) comedian claims to be aspie and says the "scene" is full of us

I find this very hard to believe , perhaps their mentally ill (like most comedians) if it's true what is said about them. :?

Entertaining some one for some one elses benefit sounds pretty sick to me!

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 1:32 am

I do not feel humor in anyone's misfortunes unless at times I am poking fun at myself. Usually my sense of humor is more along the lines of satire, metaphor, but usually just naughty. Usually it's the latter category if I'm in the right circumstance. That part of my brain never "goes to bed". Or at least when it does it never goes to sleep. :wink:

brownin329
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Aug 2012, 8:29 am

I'd say I laugh a lot for an aspie. Maybe it's because I read a lot of comic books, watched a LOT of TV with laugh tracks and music video growing up in the 70s and 80s. I get some wit, sarcasm, puns and parodies, and slapstick, but I would like to clarify about laughing at people's "misfortunes." I don't think I laugh at what happens to people but at the way it happens to people and what is said, which is why I don't understand why people think people with AS don't have humor. I am very visual and see details so I am looking at the little snapshots of events not the overall event. Someone posted a few years ago that she laughed hysterically at a lady getting hit in the face by a door. I have done that but I also would go and help. I wasn't laughing at the fact the person was hurt but the way they fell.

What IS true about me is that I do not read people well for teasing. I cannot tell if you are teasing if you have a cold/mean face and a stern voice. It's better than you don't tease (me or anyone near me). I might go off on you. I have been that way since I was a child.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 3:27 pm

I have no sense of humor at all. In order to not appear like a total a**hole when typing, I have to use emoticons, which only seem to make me feel as though others think I think I am funny, which I certainly don't. In this regard, I fit perfectly with the stereotype of the dry, boring Asperger's syndrome person.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 3:29 pm

I've got a sense of humour but it's not a mainstream one so can't share things I find funny with many people. My sense of humour is very black and would probably offend/go over the head of most people.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 8:38 pm

I am good with most types of humor, and I like to make people laugh. On "Autism Awareness Day", I was driving all day, so I didn't do much to "celebrate". All I had to say about that day? "I'm an excellent driver". That cracked a few co-workers up

Other things:
-Potty humor, etc. - I haven't lost touch with my inner child
-Adult humor - In situations where it is appropriate, I can surprise people, who don't expect me to come up with those kinds of things. I normally keep it mind though
-Inside jokes - I like to take existing jokes and expand on them, make references to pop culture, internet memes, etc. I work in IT and if, for example, someone gives us a request for data that we do not have because it does not exist yet, I will mention that the flux capacitor on the motherboard blew when the CPU was clocked at 88 gigahertz (reference to Back to the Future). People expect us to do magic, and I keep a toy magic wand in the office for that purpose. Also, did you know that Chuck Norris can find a solution to an NP-complete problem in polynomial time?
-Being serious about silly things and silly about serious things
-Sarcasm - From a very young age, I've usually been able to tell if someone is saying something but not really meaning it. I will use it myself if I'm around the right types of people.

SavageMessiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Aug 2012, 8:49 pm

I work in a steel mill, which is 99% men who are cooped up in one place for long hours. Needless to say, the entire gamut of humor is explored, and using it is encouraged. On the outside, we'd get our asses kicked for most of what we say, and our families would DEFINITELY hate it. I guess it's a good fit for AS, it's not "generic, dry NT street/bar humor".

Now, turning back the clock, I attempted to be the class clown until about 7th grade, when I discovered that stuff like farting in class made people laugh but didn't cause anyone to like me. At that point, I went pretty much silent for the last 6 years of secondary schooling.

LaPelirroja
Raven
Raven

26 Aug 2012, 4:51 pm

I've met a guy with Asperger's with little sense of humor. Or, at least, he's stated plainly to me that he isn't interested in forms of entertainment that are mostly humor-based.

I can appreciate this, but I can't relate. Both sides of my family happen to have pretty good senses of humor, and I'd say I do too, more or less. I love to laugh, and I love a good comedy (although I'm picky- I prefer quirkier, wordier, nerdier humor to about anything else, so I won't laugh at just anything).

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 7:39 pm

CyborgUprising wrote:
I have no sense of humor at all. In order to not appear like a total a**hole when typing, I have to use emoticons, which only seem to make me feel as though others think I think I am funny, which I certainly don't. In this regard, I fit perfectly with the stereotype of the dry, boring Asperger's syndrome person.

You don't feel like a moron? I do :D :roll: :wink: :oops: 8) :) :o :lol: :wink: 8O

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 5:23 am

Humour is the one thing I can do in social situations. I can't carry on a conversation in terms of small talk, but I can do humour because the end result is a sort of puncutation. A stacatto effect - no humiliating lack of conversational flow, rather a set-up --> punchline thing. If I can't make someone laugh - if we don't share a humour - I'm all out of ideas. The people I get on best with are those where jokes can be bounced back and forth.

My humour is of the dry and wry type, and the right sort of silliness/surrealness. Can't stand toilet humour -my literalism makes for an unpleasant experience even of the phrase 'give a s**t' - and the only thing approaching slapstick for me is Zac Braff falling off things in Scrubs - a nightmare would be being trapped in a lift with Jim Carrey as he tries to make me laugh, but Braff does falling off things very well. Innuendo is dull.

The humiliation and/or embarrasment of others makes me feel ill, not amused. Even politicial figures I loathe being shown up - I'm glad they were, but I can't watch it.

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2012, 6:47 pm

For the most part true, but I dont take particular pleasure in the misfortune of others.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 6:38 am

Aspies typically have an unusual sense of humor. We typically laugh with things "normal" people don't think of as funny... and vice versa.

I frequently catch myself being either the only person in the room laughing or the only person in the room not laughing. The more "average" or "normal" the crowd is, the more common such occurances tend to be, as people equally weird and intellectual as myself are more likely to share my taste of humor.

Some standup comedians I like :

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 11:54 am

That's the falsest of false. In fact I think it's many NT's who have no sense of humor. I've been told I have a good sense of humor. But if someone makes a "joke" that's sexist, racist, or just plain cruel, then of course I'm not going to laugh. Many commercials attempt to be funny but instead they are disgusting, obnoxious, or show just how evil children are. And yet people on the YouTube link for the ad are all like, "OMG like that is SOOO funny, like OMG!", and accuse anyone who hates it of having no sense of humor. They don't know me at all. :(

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 12:01 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
That's the falsest of false. In fact I think it's many NT's who have no sense of humor. I've been told I have a good sense of humor. But if someone makes a "joke" that's sexist, racist, or just plain cruel, then of course I'm not going to laugh.

To quote my favorite stand-up comedian :

"I believe you can joke about anything"
— George Carlin