How many of the world's population is autistic?

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 9:05 pm

Good point. I understood also that one state only represented medical diagnosis whereas the other was taken from both medical and school data. In Michigan, in order to have a child classed as Autism Impaired you must go through the SCHOOL process. A diagnosis from a doctor is not sufficient. The schools may be classing some children as ASD based upon their longer timeframe of observation. Most doctors take a history and observe the child for only a short period.

AI or Autism Impaired would be ANY ASD.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 5:12 am

zendell wrote:
TLPG wrote:
Age1600 wrote:
I really dont know, i wasn't born here, i was born in columbia, south america, but i know that a lot of children born in jersey have a higher rate of becoming autistic, and one of the big factors i think is the environment. I dont know i hear a lot of rumors about it. Its a very good question, but I seriously dont know the true answer, sorry.

I have a better idea.

New Jersey is more tolerant of the Spectrum in general than Alabama. So the Spectrum population gravitates there. In other words, if you are on the Spectrum and live in Alabama - get the heck out of there because you won't be looked after properly!

I'm sure ASDs are diagnosed more often in New Jersey but do you really think that fully explains it? It would mean that about 70% of autistics in Alabama go undiagnosed.

No it doesn't - it would mean that less people on the Spectrum live there to begin with. And from the sounds of other posters, NJ is not just more tolerant of ASD's - it's better equipped as well.

rossc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jan 2008, 7:05 am

TLPG wrote:
zendell wrote:
TLPG wrote:
Age1600 wrote:
I really dont know, i wasn't born here, i was born in columbia, south america, but i know that a lot of children born in jersey have a higher rate of becoming autistic, and one of the big factors i think is the environment. I dont know i hear a lot of rumors about it. Its a very good question, but I seriously dont know the true answer, sorry.

I have a better idea.

New Jersey is more tolerant of the Spectrum in general than Alabama. So the Spectrum population gravitates there. In other words, if you are on the Spectrum and live in Alabama - get the heck out of there because you won't be looked after properly!

I'm sure ASDs are diagnosed more often in New Jersey but do you really think that fully explains it? It would mean that about 70% of autistics in Alabama go undiagnosed.

No it doesn't - it would mean that less people on the Spectrum live there to begin with. And from the sounds of other posters, NJ is not just more tolerant of ASD's - it's better equipped as well.

It does not really "mean" that does it TLPG? This would be at best a guess. It could also mean that many people on the spectrum are "misdiagnosed". The fact is we don't really know.