Why do condescending people deny being condescending?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 10:59 am

I thought (allistic) people were condescending because they practised applied racism which is what aspiphobia/neurobigotry really is. When you are treated like a second class citizen for not being allistic and condescension is a hidden or subtle form of neurobigotry that by definition is easily denied by allistic people.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 11:12 am

Ticker wrote:
Condescending people have to deny being condescending or else they couldn't be condescending. Think about it. 8)

That's what I think, too.

Also, because they can!

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 2:32 pm

I know this is an old thread so I am going to respond in it anyway for in case others are wondering the same thing as the OP.

People might not even know they are being condescending. I often see this word and I have no idea how that person was being condescending so it looks to me that word is thrown around for no reason and even normal people get accused of it. But it does make me fear getting this also in social situations which increases my shyness and social anxiety because I have no idea what the other person might think of me. Sometimes I wish I didn't care. Then my life would be a lot easier.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 3:02 pm

Mw99 wrote:
Is condescension a subconscious process? Or is their lying more condescension?

I think it can go either way, but in both cases the underlying arrogance that motivates it will not allow the person to admit they are doing anything rude or offensive.

Being condescending means subconsciously or not, they view themselves as being above you, so they are not going to actually level with you and talk to you as an equal.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 3:12 pm

If they view you as an inferior and treat you as such, and can go on with their lives happily that way because they suffer no ill consequence, what basis do you have to deny they are actually your betters?

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.