Some people are just unbelievable.....

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

shopaholic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 4:22 am

I missed my usual train this morning so had to get the next one, which at least had the advantage of a designated "quiet carriage," so I found a table and started to study.

At the next station, three (presumably) NT guys got on and sat at my table & started talking. So I pointed out to them that it was the quiet carriage. They said "it only says that you can't use mobile phones or MP3's, not that you can't talk!" And then went on. And on. And on.

WTF???? I thought it was us that were supposed to take things literally, not NT's! I mean, surely it's OBVIOUS that talking is just as annoying whether it is into a phone or not???

So I set out to annoy them as much as they were annoying me. I swore at them (which offended at least one of them), slammed my books shut & made a really big deal out of putting them away in exasperation.

I asked them why they couldn't sit in one of the other carriages & then they could talk as much as they wanted without annoying anyone.

They said that they always sat in the quiet carriage & no-one had ever complained before. I said that I would bet every penny I had ever earned in my life that they HAD annoyed people, but that most people were just too polite to say anything - but that I had Aspergers & always said what I thought.

In the end they agreed with me when I asked them never to sit anywhere near me again. I said "it's not a good idea to annoy an Aspie with PMS!"

They said "Too much info" & I said - "Well, you've been giving me too much info for the whole journey!"

In the end they said "This is all very sad," maybe trying to make amends, & my parting shot was "Yes, not being able to go for 20 minutes without talking is REALLY sad, isn't it?" :)

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 4:28 am

:)

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 4:57 am

You were very lucky that they were otherwise nice boys. You have to be so careful - especially when there are more of them than of you.

shopaholic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 5:41 am

They weren't boys, they were grown men!

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 5:44 am

That took guts, Shopaholic. You should be proud that you stood up for what you believe in.

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 5:56 am

gbollard's right, it could have been much worse. It's just a good thing that they weren't really bad people. Maybe they didn't realise they were in the quiet carriage, NT people can be SOO ignorant!

"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 8:35 am

shopaholic wrote:
In the end they said "This is all very sad," maybe trying to make amends, & my parting shot was "Yes, not being able to go for 20 minutes without talking is REALLY sad, isn't it?" :)

:D Sheesh, they were selfish. They kind of diserved having the last line, in my oppinion. Cool.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 9:18 am

shopaholic wrote:
I "it's not a good idea to annoy an Aspie with PMS!"

:lol: I've never looked at it that way before, but (in my case at least) it's so true!!

shopaholic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 12:00 pm

mightyzebra wrote:
Maybe they didn't realise they were in the quiet carriage, NT people can be SOO ignorant!

Yes, they did, after I had pointed the fact out to them. Their attitude was "It says no mobile phones, it doesn't say you can't talk, so we're going to talk if we want to talk".

They actually said that. And they thought it was funny that they had stopped me from working. I just wanted to cry, or punch them out - I thought I was being pretty restrained by just irritating the h**l out of them back!

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 12:34 pm

Did they know what an Aspie was?

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 12:51 pm

Ana54 wrote:
Did they know what an Aspie was?

Ah - good question Ana54. Maybe that's why they did it...

"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 12:56 pm

You really want to be careful acting like that with people you don't know. You could have ended up in hospital or worse.

ButchCoolidge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jan 2008, 1:43 pm

Hilarious story, although I agree that you could've been hurt emotionally or otherwise, lashing out like that. I hate inconsiderate people like that.

23 Jan 2008, 2:31 pm

How do you know they were NTs? They could have been aspies too :)

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 3:16 pm

I understand wot ur sayin but if i was in ur position i would just ignored dem dat way it saves 4rm gettin in trouble.

shopaholic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2008, 4:51 am

Okay, these were businessmen in suits, not hooligans or anything (this was a commuter train!)

I can give as good as I get anyway - always have.

And I COULDN'T ignore them, that was just the problem.

No they probably didn't know what an Aspie was (they probably just thought I was some weird mad woman!)

And I didn't mention it until some way into the argument, so that was not why they were being so rude.

They may not have been NT's - I was just assuming that they were because they were in a group & because of their inability to refrain from talking to each other. Doesn't actually matter anyway.

I am just imagining them relating the story to their colleagues when they got to work, & (hopefully) someone saying "You mean the poor woman was trying to study? You're evil...."!

Well I can dream...!