Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Jan 2008, 8:44 am

Okay, I finally talked husband into going to see Sweeney Todd last night.

Now, we've had several discussions on here about odd senses of humour and I'm among the top of weird humour. I laughed almost all the way through the movie. It was brilliant.

My husband stared at me agape! He talked about how ghastly the movie was all night. I kept trying to explain that that was why it was so funny.

The song about trying the priest. The chair that shoots them straight down to the basement for being minced. It was brilliant. My husband thinks I'm a ghoul. He also told me that I was not to run straight down to the shops to buy it when it comes out on DVD. It's cute that he thinks he has some authority in the matter, isn't it.

So anyway...I just wondered if anyone else saw it and found it as amusing as I did?

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jan 2008, 8:55 am

I liked Sweeny Todd. I thought it was funny.

I liked the line
"Shepherd's pie peppered with actual shepherd"

And

"We'll serve anyone, using anyone, and to anyone"

I too laughed most the way through it. But to be honest I think that Tim Burton has never seen blood in his life.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Jan 2008, 11:10 am

I'm sure that Tim Burton has never seen blood. It was pretty reminiscent of the paint that you mix yourself with powder wasn't it? Haha.

Good, I'm glad I'm not the only ghoul in the audience. I just thought that song about have the priest was so dementedly delightful!

kclark
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2008, 12:36 pm

Have not watched the new movie yet, but I loved the old version with Angela Lansbury (sp?) as the baker.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Jan 2008, 1:00 pm

I'll have to see if I can find that one. That would be very amusing. Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Lovett. I'm picturing it, and it's funny.

missboots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2008, 2:06 pm

My boyfriend and I went to see it, we laughed a good amount during the movie. It was really funny.
Pretty much everyone in the theater was laughing.

Selo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2008, 3:53 pm

As creepy as it was, I did find that movie somehow highly entertaining. Johnny Depp did a fantastic job.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2008, 1:18 am

I found it really entertaining AND ghastly. :wink:

MusicMaker1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2008, 1:41 am

I Love Johnny Depp!! : )

I haven't seen this movie yet though....

Did I say.. I LOVE Johnny Depp ; )

It seems like I read somewhere a long time ago that Johnny Depp was also a musician... can't remember, but I'll have to check on that too while I'm at it...

kclark
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2008, 2:06 pm

Liverbird wrote:
I'll have to see if I can find that one. That would be very amusing. Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Lovett. I'm picturing it, and it's funny.

Here is a link from Amazon for it. I gotta learn how to do links better.
http://www.amazon.com/Sweeney-Todd-Demo ... 407&sr=1-1

It is actually a Broadway play rather than a movie, but I still love it.

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2008, 2:26 pm

i had the old movie long before they ever thought of redoing it... you can find it on youtube..... angela lansbury and her leading man were just amazing...... i think the pie song is hilarious too.

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 2:30 pm

Liverbird wrote:

...Jessica Fletcher [or, if you prefer, the teapot from Beauty and the Beast]. Baking people.
I need to look this up.

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2008, 12:31 am

I saw it and thought it was great (save for a few items, but I may be biased because I liked the show beforehand).
If he could only sing like a Broadway actor, I think Johnny Depp would make the ideal Sweeney Todd.

Jayutimestwo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Feb 2008, 1:41 am

I thought it was hilarious:

ML: "with the price of meat what its, when you get it, if you get it"

SW: "Ahh"

ML: "good you got it"

made me crack up

as did:

"if your british and loyal you might enjoy royal marine, though of course it tastes of wherever it's been"

and the 'by the sea' song where Mrs Lovett waxes lyrical (literally) about potenetial marriage and Sweeney Todd just sits there all emo was hilarious.

Last edited by Jayutimestwo on 06 Feb 2008, 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2008, 1:54 am

Saw it on broadway. I found the humor to be very... easy. I liked it and all, but it wasn't hilarious, if that makes any sense.

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

06 Feb 2008, 5:19 am

Liverbird wrote:
Okay, I finally talked husband into going to see Sweeney Todd last night.

Now, we've had several discussions on here about odd senses of humour and I'm among the top of weird humour. I laughed almost all the way through the movie. It was brilliant.

My husband stared at me agape! He talked about how ghastly the movie was all night. I kept trying to explain that that was why it was so funny.

The song about trying the priest. The chair that shoots them straight down to the basement for being minced. It was brilliant. My husband thinks I'm a ghoul. He also told me that I was not to run straight down to the shops to buy it when it comes out on DVD. It's cute that he thinks he has some authority in the matter, isn't it.

So anyway...I just wondered if anyone else saw it and found it as amusing as I did?

I did not hear anyone else laughing except for myself how can someone singing a song about cooking people in pies not sound funny :lol: .
It maybe a new intrest because i cant stop thinking about it and want to go again to see it and find out what Todd is saying in the part where he talks in poetry and sounds really annoyed.I am going to go today :P