Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 2:39 pm

Ever since getting dxed, I noticed that I totally don't move my arms while walking. I think it's the whole balance thing. I have enough movement problems without swinging my arms. That, and it's an extra energy expenditure.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 2:57 pm

Quote:
That, and it's an extra energy expenditure.

It also seems to take more energy to hold my head up the way most other people do, and I'm not an energetic person to begin with. Down at an angle is its natural resting position and has the advantage of blocking out distracting stimuli and keeping bright sunlight out of my eyes(although, cold, dry, sunny winter days are hell because the snow is so bright then and I hate cold and dryness makes me prone to nosebleeds!).

Do people normally and instinctually adopt each others' method of walking just as they do with non-verbal communication?

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 3:08 pm

scumsuckingdouchebag wrote:

It also seems to take more energy to hold my head up the way most other people do, and I'm not an energetic person to begin with. Down at an angle is its natural resting position and has the advantage of blocking out distracting stimuli and keeping bright sunlight out of my eyes(although, cold, dry, sunny winter days are hell because the snow is so bright then and I hate cold and dryness makes me prone to nosebleeds!).

That's exactly what I said last week. The energy it costs to held my head up high and the mass of additionally stimuli that can't be blocked out by holding the head high. I wondered why the NTs couldn't understand this experience.

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 3:11 pm

If I'm an NT, I'm one of them that does understand this experience. Stimuli = distracting me from my thoughts.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 4:31 pm

What about keeping your hands in your pocket? I do that all the times. Same thing, no?

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Feb 2008, 6:03 pm

When I went for Basic Training, they screamed at me all the time for not swinging my arms when we marched in formation. The wanted you to swing out the arm opposite of the leg you were stepping out with, and you always led off with your left foot. :roll:

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 10:17 pm

Quote:
What about keeping your hands in your pocket? I do that all the times. Same thing, no?

Some student in high school jokingly commented I was masturbating when he noticed I always kept my hands in my pockets while standing and waiting for my dad to arrive with the car. It was quite funny, but I thought he was serious at the time and I kept trying to explain to him that I was not doing such.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 11:28 pm

I often catch myself not swinging my arms while walking, they sort of flop around from the wiggling motion of the torso wen walking instead of swinging.

Arm swinging is a reflexive motion controlled by a pair of structures in the upper-most brain stem called the red nuclei, the ancient, brain stem counterpart of the motor cortex. So, I'll guess that the swinging of the arm is a vestigial thing we have inherited from our 4-legged ancestors.

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2008, 11:46 pm

I had to learn how to swing my arms to be in the military. (and during pt I got smashed cause I was only swinging one arm) It didn't work out. but yes my arms like to stay still while I walk.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 9:13 am

I sometimes don't move the arms while walking, other times I move them too much. fun?

Keoren
Toucan
Toucan

11 Feb 2008, 11:45 am

I had this too. I actually kept my hands crossed on my chest until I found the sweet wonder called pockets which now are where I keep my hands most of the time while standing and walking. I do move my hands when going fast, but otherwise it still seems awkward.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 12:25 pm

Its very rare 4 me 2 swing my arms i have done it once but i have never felt comfortable i normally have my hands in my pockets as i find it a lot more suitable 4 myself.