Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 6:49 am

Not sure where I fit exactlyin all this. Some people have told me I. Am very Aspie-ish. Others say I definitely fit a bipolar dx. My psychologist says I have sx of depression with anger outburst issues. I am finding it very difficult to cope in my life as it is now. I do not want to lose the few friends I do have. So next week I am going to a psychiatrist to hopefully figure out what is going on in my brain and get meds to level me out. I've been an "out there" person since I was little. Got expelled from preschool since I could not interact with other kids. Was always socially inept. Have learned to act like others to do my job and I do feel compassion for the dying. My personal life is always a wreck, though. Where does one dx begin and where does another one? I hope to at least get some answers and maybe this will help. Btw, I took some online tests and they seem to suggest aspergers. It would make sense... but sometimes I wonder about bipolar. There's alot of psych history in my family and unlike my normal sisters, I stick out like a camel in Brooklyn. What should I do/bring to my new psychiatrist? Will he give me any sort of tests? I don't know what to expect.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 6:50 am

Not sure where I fit exactlyin all this. Some people have told me I. Am very Aspie-ish. Others say I definitely fit a bipolar dx. My psychologist says I have sx of depression with anger outburst issues. I am finding it very difficult to cope in my life as it is now. I do not want to lose the few friends I do have. So next week I am going to a psychiatrist to hopefully figure out what is going on in my brain and get meds to level me out. I've been an "out there" person since I was little. Got expelled from preschool since I could not interact with other kids. Was always socially inept. Have learned to act like others to do my job and I do feel compassion for the dying. My personal life is always a wreck, though. Where does one dx begin and where does another one? I hope to at least get some answers and maybe this will help. Btw, I took some online tests and they seem to suggest aspergers. It would make sense... but sometimes I wonder about bipolar. There's alot of psych history in my family and unlike my normal sisters, I stick out like a camel in Brooklyn. What should I do/bring to my new psychiatrist? Will he give me any sort of tests? I don't know what to expect.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 2:36 pm

I had severe meltdowns until I was 16 that were related mostly to kids picking on me, but also change or anything else I didn't like. I am bipolar now as an adult for sure, but back when I was a kid, it like everything else like it was put down as ADHD. I still get an occasional meltdown and I have also shutdown a couple of times. They didn't try to medicate me then, but now I'm on Lamictal, Lithium, Abilify and I still have some symptoms.

My therapist says she sees combined Bipolar/AS/ADHD people a lot, that is why I chose her as a therapist.

I'm sorry for your son, I know what that's like. Don't blame yourself.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Ryanincc
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jul 2011, 10:44 pm

32 yo male from Corpus Christi TX. I have been extensively diagnosed Bipolar with hx of suicide attempts, alcohol dependence (proud to say just had my 1 year sobriety b-day), exreme mis-management of money and other general life functionality. I finally, over the last year or two, got some meds that work for me, and now on my way to my RN degree. Anyway, I got a buddy with asperger's that I didn't know about till recently, and i started looking in to the syndrome. I have found very similar symptoms to myself and extreme similarity to work related issues (asperger - advice . com / work-related-issues . html ) , particularly, I tend to do things "too right" in my clinicals, sometimes pissing off the staff nurses or doctors. i say too right in that it's not good, i over=kill it to the point of annoyance, never endangering the Pts, the opposite in fact.. I will over focus on details of my patients and their care often to the point where I uncontrollably have to ask paid staff about medication contraindications or doubling up meds or diet issues affecting glucose negatively or dietary intake stopping the absorption of certain meds they take, or the pt has an excessive amount wax in their ears... list goes on and on and Im under=exaggerating here. Ive made no lower than 95's on an section of my school and i really have a gift for medical terminology, A &P , bedside manner and the like. I also tend to be excessively irritated at little s**t of my classmates and instructors; tardiness, unpreparedness, and very particularly when my instructors mis-pronounce medical terms. Of course pretty much all the others apply as well, except that I am actually very social, have lots of friends and the go-to guy for tons-o-fun outside the work environment. I was just curious to any insight regarding dual dx or even if you guys think I could even have the syndrome.

Mxzysptlik
Raven
Raven

03 Mar 2012, 3:22 am

For me my moods are set off by specific stimuli. I have been having some problems over the last year making adjustments and things but that's only been because I've been coping with the realities of racism. One of my friends suggested that I had the condition but I doubt I actually do. I just became upset by certain stimuli and sensory overload that sent me into a big fuss. I always hesitate to get a diagnosis because all they do is put you on meds to "even" you out. Being a black, male aspie I'm already paranoid and tense enough about the world so yeah lol

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 5:40 pm

The distinction between Autism, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Bi-Polar Disorder, Schizophrenia, OCD, ADHD and Borderline Personality Disorder is not clear-cut.

There's a significant overlap in symptoms and genetic correlation between each of these "disorders". Co-morbidity is also very common.

Personally, I lean towards the notion that Autism, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Bi-Polar Disorder, Schizophrenia, OCD, ADHD and Borderline Personality Disorder are not individual conditions but as different expressions of the same spectrum.

I would also argue that these are not disorders, but normal variations within human behavior that have been pathologized for no other reason but the rather eccentric and unusual behavior of people within, which makes them more difficult to manipulate and control.