Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SherriCowhig
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jul 2016, 2:48 pm

A couple of ideas that work for me.

1. Carbs and sugar (cookies, etc.) can be stimulating. Try protein. A spoonful of peanut butter or a nut butter (preferably without sugar but that isn't always possible) is incredibly helpful. Sometimes I go to a grocery store and just buy lunch meat and eat it straight. Nothing spicy!

2. To recover from the overstimulation - do whatever you can to simulate a cool (not cold), dark, completely quiet room, preferably in a small space. Sometimes I will go to a restroom, choose the handicapped stall because it usually has enough space on the floor that is clean, sit down in the corner so I can feel the wall behind me and next to me, close my eyes, put my hands over my ears to block noise and just sit there until I start to feel better. In the circumstance you described you could have him sit in the car with his eyes closed and hands over his ears with the A/C on enough to keep him cool. The movement of the car may be relaxing for him like it is for a baby or it may be stimulating so you will have to get a sense of what works for him.

3. Always carry ear plugs if he is sensitive to noise. Even if they do not block everything out they can reduce the degree of the reaction or slow it somewhat. If he is sensitive to light, sunglasses mould also be helpful.

I hope this helps!

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2016, 4:01 pm

I used to suffer from sensory overstimulation, but it was successfully treated, and I haven't had it for several years now. Still need to self-manage, but I seem to be out of the danger-zone.

The simplified pathology of the condition is explained in the last 20 minutes of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw1dEj6A4ro
The precise treatment steps are not described in there, but it does provide a background to some of the cofactors which will need to be addressed. It has subsequently emerged that iNOS/nNOS overexpression also plays a role, but that wasn't known at the time that the video was made.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 12:36 am

I wall it off, inside. I depersonalize, until I feel safe.

Then, when I am in a relaxing situation, I feel start to feel upset, for awhile.

AnodyneInsect
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Oct 2016, 9:15 pm

Krista_the_pixie, thank you for asking this question and for being such a insightful and good friend to Erik. By asking these questions you and everyone on this thread who has commented have provided so much help. Peace to you, your friend and everyone here who has shared their experiences and insights.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2016, 4:04 pm

Unlike what was posted in a previous post, I can get massive overload from one trigger. I am much more sensitive if my energy is low or if I am dealing with other stuff, but even if I am doing well, all it takes is one trigger to set me off sometimes.

When it happens to me, I need to remove myself from the situstion or the trigger has to stop. That is imperative. Then I need a quiet and still place to recover. Recovery can take a few seconds to a few weeks depending on how badly I was affected.

When I am overloaded I need the people around me to be very soft and gentle not only in their voices but in their body movements also because other people's body movements overstimulate me as well. When someone is overstimulated you can help by eliminating or cutting as much stimuli as possible.

Wreck It Ralph

lcatz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Oct 2016, 9:52 pm

I feel over stimulated at the idea of touch (especially hugs). This bothers me because I hate refusing hugs. Any suggestions on self-soothing regimens?