Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

chella
Raven
Raven

02 Jan 2008, 7:21 pm

This was a big reason why I did so bad in high school with classes I had no interest in. I find it impossible to pay attention and be patient when someone talks a long time about things that are boring, or things that aren't exactly my interests. It makes me feel like a selfish jerk, like people have to put up with my telling long stories about stupid things all the time, but I can't do the same for them. If any of you have this problem how do you deal with it? A lot of times I end up getting really irritated and snapping at people. I know its not fair but I feel at a complete loss of control.

angelgirl1224
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 7:28 pm

i get exactly the same as you!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !
i know how it feels!

Margrethe
Raven
Raven

02 Jan 2008, 7:28 pm

My problem is that I haven't found a way to deal with it, and I'm in uni. I have lots of problems staying interested in my subjects. What seems exciting when the application date runs out in March is no longer fun in December, and then I still have 5 months left.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 7:41 pm

I can relate to what you're saying. I zone in and out a lot, regardless of whether it's boring or not.

use_your_words
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jan 2008, 9:40 pm

I know exactly what you mean, but I haven't really had to deal with it outside of school, so I'm afraid I'm little help outside the realm of education.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 9:47 pm

Yes, I have always gotten in trouble for not paying attention. My imagination was always more interesting than what was going on around me.

I think it's common for kids not to pay attention in class, but I have trouble paying attention to movies and stories that people tell. The problem is that human emotions often bore me. I have no interest in dramatic stories, unless they're part of a story I'm writing.

lotus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jan 2008, 10:16 pm

what?? sorry. I was distracted.

But, yeah.... And the above quote (zoning in and out) pretty much covers it.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 2:00 am

I try to find some aspect of everything I learn that I can tie into one of my special interests.

And when that doesn't work, I bribe myself with things like dinner and restroom breaks. :)

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 2:04 am

Yea i know how u feel, i wonder off everytime somebody is talking to me unless its interests i like, other then that, be better off talking to a wall hahaha. There are sometimes though i can keep my self entertained in that situation though. In classes, nope no attention at all, i remember literally just drifting off in my own little world one time, then the teacher started talking about heiroglifics(yea i think i should just change my username to miss error haha) and i was like huh what? thats when i actually got an A for once haha.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 10:10 am

I found it difficult 2 pay attention in a skool classroom as i had no feelings 4 other pupils emotions n secondly i lacked patience.

sonny1471
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jan 2008, 10:59 am

I agree completely. I've never been able to keep my attention focused in a classroom setting when the subject wasn't interesting to me. I always ended up just not going and receiving an F for the course. This was in college. I ended up just stopping school altogether and have never received a degree because of it.

It's too bad you can't just go to school and learn the stuff that interests you. I got A's in all of my major classes and C's and below for anything that was outside my major and didn't hold my interest.

fishman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2008, 3:30 pm

lastcrazyhorn wrote:
I try to find some aspect of everything I learn that I can tie into one of my special interests.

And when that doesn't work, I bribe myself with things like dinner and restroom breaks. :)

I really like that idea. :)

I also sometimes zone in and out whenever someone else is talking for a long period of time, both inside and outside of school. But I'm still able to pay enough attention to be an all A's student in high school. Yesterday, when I was at the Annual Autism Confrence at the University of PA in Philadelphia, I was zoning out so many times that if this topic didn't exist, I would've been inspired to start a topic just like this one!

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 5:10 pm

i often lock in class and its embaressing when teacher shakes me to get me react :oops:

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/