Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 10:10 pm

I have to do a presentation on Goth culture and their music for one of my classes next week. I was never fully goth myself, although I did bounce a bit on the outer bounds of the culture. And I was friends with a lot of goths in high school. I just want some extra opinions from some other folks who may or may not be able to give me a new perspective (or at least a more complete one). :)

Here's what I need from you:

1. Your definition of what it means to be a goth.
2. Some examples of what you consider their music consists of.
3. Any subdelineations/sub-types within the goth culture that you think are important.

That's all.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

LadyM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Apr 2008, 10:20 am

The Wiki is fairly accurate on this particular topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goth_subculture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_rock

maddie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Apr 2008, 3:37 pm

hello

i was a goth from the age of eleven to the age of 29 i still think of myself as a goth but i wear brighter colours now , to be goth is very different from liking the music and wearing a lot of black in my opinion, i have met a lot of goths over the years and some are into it to shock, sometimes their parents, their friends or society in general, a lot of goths though feel apart from society and find a way of communicating their outside perspective through the goth culture, the music seems to be quite an individual taste as everything else is, some goths are into so called goth rock like souxsie and the banshees or marilyn manson or the rasmus, others have very wide tastes in music, personally i like lots of different music, from heavy metal, to bach, as long as the rythm feels good or i like the lyrics, the clothing is also quite individual, the main colour being black but also rich jewel colours and of course white are also quite accepted, but this can vary with the sub-culture cyber goths for example seem to prefer neon colours, some goths prefer more victorian based styles, waist cinches and corsets being favourite items some like subverted military uniform,some like a mixture of everything, hairstyles can be quite important especially for "weekend" goths although it is traditional to die it black, sometimes with contrasting spikes, stripes or patches, i have known blonde goths, red headed goths and just about every synthetic colour there is, long hair or punk styles seem to be preferred, most goths that i have met have been into the darker side in some way but instead of seeing everything as evil we seem to have a more romantic view, anne rice is very popular amongst a lot of the goths i have met and show the more romantic viewpoint of something that would be considered evil or fearsome by the general society, such as witches and vampires, i have sat a few nights in graveyards with my goth friends and not been afraid and worried as society dictates, but personally i feel this is just because i know that the dangers in life are not from mythical or ethereal creatures but from society which dislikes anything that is different from themselves , we were never disrespectful, always leaving the place clean and tidy, it just offered a place where we could be left alone at night to talk and relax where society would not venture, most goths that i have known have been open minded, kind, caring and accepting individuals, although as in everything there are exceptions, i hope i have explained that goth culture is far more than the common belief that we are all just morose slaves to the "vampire drag" . good luck with your studies and i hope i helped a little.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 3:56 pm

Here's an article about Goths...

Quote:
The Goths were East Germanic tribes who, in the 3rd and 4th centuries, harried the Roman Empire and later adopted Arianism (a form of Christianity). In the 5th and 6th centuries, divided as the Visigoths and the Ostrogoths, they established powerful successor-states of the Roman Empire in the Iberian peninsula and Italy, respectively.

:wink:

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 4:40 pm

Try a search "goth" and "emo" at www.mentalnurse.org.uk [emo=goth with girlfriend]

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 8:26 pm

Hey everyone. Thanks for these. And especially thanks Maddie. Longer reply later. I'm crazy busy!! ! *eeps*

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"