Has anyone ever fallen for this kind of stuff?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

21 May 2008, 11:08 pm

In the past I would get upset over people saying stupid things to me thinking they were being serious instead of the fact they were just joking. Then when I reached my adulthood, I taught myself whenever people say stupid things to me, assume they are kidding. But unfortunitly I still fall for it sometimes.

Today I was on the computer and one of my online friends IMs me and tells me he is sick and he caught it from me. I asked him how can he and he says he just did. I say how can he catch it from me if he hasn't even been near me and the fact I live over 1,000 miles away from him. Then I figured he was kidding because no way someone would be that stupid to think someone on the internet caused you to get sick. If he was a schizo that be different but he told me he was sick and he had some virus. I forget what infection he said he had. Then I realized he was serious and I got frustrated with him and assumed he must be someone else because no way my friend would act like that because he isn't dumb. I asked him or her who it was and he/she said I know who he is because we have been talking for over a year and I said I doubt it's him because he is acting different. Then he asked me how is he acting different and I say he is acting dumb and no way anyone would think one o their online friends got them sick, it's impossible. Then he told me he was just joking and he did the same thing to four of his other online friends but he really is sick. Boy did he trick me when he made me think he was actually serious by not telling me he was joking before when I said he must be kidding. I felt really stupid :oops:

I look back at the other things I have gotten upset for I knew that weren't true. I can remember when I was 8, I got upset with this girl in my class when she showed me a Computer disc (back in those says those were new technology that were replacing those bendable discs) and she told me my face looks like that. I said "No it doesn't" and she said "yes it does." We argue about my face looking like that. As an adult I know she was probably just teasing me and I took it seriously. I don't know if she was doing it to upset me or she was just doing it to be funny.
I also remember getting upset when these three kids on the bus were making fun of me and then one of them puts on this dragon mask he made in class and they say my face looks like that. I say it does not and they say it does. I keep saying it doesn't and they keep saying it does and that's how ugly I am. Today I know they were probably just doing it to make fun of me and upset me and maybe to provoke me and I took it all literal. They were probably using the dragon mask as an example of that's how ugly I am and instead I thought they were saying I look like that dragon mask.

I can also remember reading when I was 15 and 16 that aspies get upset with teasing and sarcasm. Maybe this is one of the examples by me getting upset with the teasing because I didn't know they were teasing. Instead I thought they were serious and I got upset by it because they weren't listening to me and it was a lie they were telling me.

Has anyone ever fallen for these kinds of things? Then later on you felt stupid by it, when you figured out they might have been teasing because no way someone would be that dumb to actually think that?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 11:14 pm

Is it possible that your boyfriend meant a learnable situation or computer virus, and your other friend meant you could see your reflection?

21 May 2008, 11:22 pm

No he said he was kidding and I asked him if any others fell for it and he said I was the only one who made a big deal out of it. I asked if they were aspies and he said no I'm the only one on his list.
they responded to him when he said they got him sick but they were just playing a long I assume when they said things like 'oh that's impossible.' Then they moved on.

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 12:25 am

I used to fall for it. Ya gotta take everything an NT says as a joke. Then when they have to be truthful you've got them :) Just keep laughing and saying that you don't believe them.

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 12:38 am

Pobodys_Nerfect wrote:
I used to fall for it. Ya gotta take everything an NT says as a joke. Then when they have to be truthful you've got them :) Just keep laughing and saying that you don't believe them.

Yes. Nt have a strange sense of humor.

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2008, 2:35 am

Well, you weren't very helpful to me when I asked for advice but I'll give you mine. Some people have a dry or sarcastic sense of humor and they will say outrageous things with a very straight face and voice. In your case it was on the computer so you couldn't see him laughing. Even NTs often misunderstand things online because without facial expression and vocal tone, it's easy to take things the wrong way. If someone is saying something that doesn't seem right, step back for a moment and think about it. It's not logical that you made someone sick online, so it must be a joke. Sometimes it can be good to play along, so you could say "Oh I'm so sorry I made you sick, how irresponsible of me!" If I am not sure if it's a joke I will usually just play along and wait to see if they laugh or something.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

22 May 2008, 4:08 am

I fall for that stuff to this day.

I remember when I was a young child (about age 8-10) someone at school said that they had brought their giant pet spider to school and left it in the bathroom and if I go in there it will kill me. I believed them and in result, wet my pants at school. The teacher asked me why I didn't go to the bathroom and I said..."Because (insert name) said that their giant pet spider is in there and it will kill me if I go in,".
The teacher said they were lying and showed me there was no spider....I was MAD!! I did get my payback though, as she got 3 weeks detention. :lol:

Now that I think about it, she probably did that just to humiliate me, which it did.

On a less extreme level, I do tend to take jokes literally at times. Such as this...

Me: What are you doing?
Mother: Feeding the pigs. (She was actually looking through her purse)
Me: Huh?...what?...No your not!!.
Mother: Duh!!

:lol:

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 4:29 am

I don't, but that's only because I'm obsessed with sarcasm and dry humor. It's like my saving grace. Sometimes I'll play along with stupid scenarios with my friends just to see which one of us will give out first.

Instead, whenever someone says something that strikes me as really stupid or insensitive, I tend to assume they are kidding if they don't know them. This happens here a lot when I'm reading the PPR forum- someone will say something insanely bigoted, and I'll just think they are being ironic.

Then everyone gets mad and I don't understand why, and I'm like- oh wait, the guy was being serious? He really is a jerk? Huh.

I did this yesterday to my boyfriend accidentally, after he noticed a fountain on campus that has the name "Ludwig" engraved on it.

BF: What do you think of the name "Luhdd- wig"?

ME: I dunno. I guess it's ok, if you're American and don't know how to pronounce Beethoven's first name.

(BF gives me a dirty look.)

ME: What? ...oh, wait....I'm sorry, I didn't... I thought you said it that way to be funny...sorry...

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 7:31 am

I was kidding. I still fall for it. Sometimes forget to turn the NTBS radar on.

deadpanhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2008, 9:59 am

Pobodys_Nerfect wrote:
...NTBS radar....

I love it! Well put!

I have to say it is such a comfort to find out i'm not the only one who falls for this stuff, even at over 30 y/o! For years it was really terrible because along with ford_prefects_kid i love dry and sarcastic humor and tried to actually use it all time. I could never understand why people got so angry at me until my husband finally explained that because i always look serious, people don't know that i'm joking, often not even him! Then i tried doing a smile when i was joking and that worked sometimes but apparently i joked at the wrong times and things. I finally gave it up all together, but then, since i was always being serious, i took everything others said seriously to the nth degree. I just can't win! lol

SotiCoto
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2008, 11:27 am

I do it back to them.

Not to say I fall for it much. I tend to disbelieve what the mundies have to tell me, and usually have some idea when they're being stupid like that.... and sometimes I will reverse it on them and have them convinced of something really ridiculous just to make them look like a prat.

Problem is... when I do that, everyone else, when they find out, assumes I'm just doing it to be arseholish, and I'm the only one who finds it funny.... The double-standards of mundies just make me bitter. Like they're allowed to tease me in vicious ways, but I'm not allowed to make light-hearted jokes at their expense?
They're all screwed up. Leave them to die of their own stupidity, I say.

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 3:42 pm

I fall for stuff all the time ^^'

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 May 2008, 3:59 pm

Once, while in high school, I had recently bought a new jacket. This girl came up to me and asked where I had gotten it. I assumed that she meant what store, so I told her. She then said, loudly, that her grandmother had recently donated that same jacket to a thrift shop. I, confused, insisted that it had come from the store. At this point, her friends were laughing. I figured that they were having a joke at my expense, but I didn't see what was supposed to be funny. What a bunch of lame brains! :x

22 May 2008, 8:00 pm

I have two funny stories to tell but I never got upset about them.

I can remember back when I was 6 or 7, there was this little boy who was 2 1/2 younger than me and he started calling me a "cookie" one day. I can remember I be on the other block playing and there be the boy standing out in the street with his older brothers and he point at me and say "cookie cookie" and I can remember looking around thinking there was a cookie somewhere even though he was pointing at me but I had no cookie. Then I eventually learned I was the cookie and remember thinking it was funny because I pictured myself being a big cookie. So I started doing it back to him and he get upset because he say "Don't call me that" and bury his head in his brother's arm and hip. I didn't understand why he didn't like it if he liked calling me it so much. Then I started doing it to my own brother and I didn't even understand the whole thing. Now that i am older, I realize he might have been doing it to make fun of me make me feel bad and because he got the same treatment from me, he didn;t like it because bullies don;t like getting a taste of their own medicine. The kid was a bully but he was sweet when he was little and nice to me but as he got older he turned into a jerk and started to be mean to me. That might have been the sign there I missed when he started calling me a "cookie." Then he got worse with his bullying as he got older and by the time he was five, he had turned into a real bully.

When I was eight, I was in school one day eating lunch and the kids in my class start telling me the lunch ladies are cooking slugs and they are going to serve them to us. I knew it wasn't true but I didn't get upset because the story was so amusing. But I did it to my brother one day on the way to Montana. I told him our mother bought us cooked slugs and we were going to eat them for lunch. Then my brother started crying and Mom got mad at me and told me to say "sorry." I learned it was school behavior, not something you do at home.

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2008, 8:03 pm

It's pretty much the biggest trait of asperger's. I assess possibilities of it being a joke if I'm in doubt, and come to quick conclusions of which I only occasionally can be certain.

22 May 2008, 8:08 pm

Today at work I, I was throwing away a big huge box in the recycling. It was a box from the golf bag it came in and it was in one of the hotel rooms left by the guests. Well I come down to the L level and the guy in the kitchen department says "Is someone going golfing?" and I say "no." Then I realized he was just joking. Doh. What would an employee be doing with a box with a golf bag in it at work?