Zipper on your jacket or coat done up all the way?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

deadpanhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 May 2008, 10:31 am

Venuseagle, i can't tell from your posts if you are concerned about some problem this causes or just curious about others' experiences. From the (veteran) mom's pov, i can say that it isn't worth much concern. If the anxiety is the problem i would just get him clothes with some other closers. If it is the way it looks, don't worry, that will take care of itself. I was the same way until nearly junior high and was cured by one comment from a peer. There is enough for a mom to be concerned with. You can let this one go. If you were just curious, well there ya go! :)

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 1:25 pm

venuseagle wrote:
Anyone else relate to this?

Yes.

Always have to have the zipper all the way up (or all the way down), same with buttons. Even winter coats that have zippers and buttons, I'll make sure I've got all the snaps before I go outside. Not really a comfort thing or pressure or anything, it's just a rule, like not letting my foods touch. There is no explaination for it, it's just wrong.

I knew about this rule with buttons (just ignored it ;) ), but I didn't know about the zipper rule until my GF started teasing me about it at the store. She'd unzip it a ways, and I'd zip it back up and guard it. I get back at her by zipping her hoodie all the way up ;D

tharn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2008, 1:36 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
venuseagle wrote:
Anyone else relate to this?

Yes.

Always have to have the zipper all the way up (or all the way down), same with buttons. Even winter coats that have zippers and buttons, I'll make sure I've got all the snaps before I go outside. Not really a comfort thing or pressure or anything, it's just a rule, like not letting my foods touch. There is no explaination for it, it's just wrong.

I knew about this rule with buttons (just ignored it ;) ), but I didn't know about the zipper rule until my GF started teasing me about it at the store. She'd unzip it a ways, and I'd zip it back up and guard it. I get back at her by zipping her hoodie all the way up ;D

Light Jacket / Breezy or Sunny - Fully unzipped.
Light Jacket / Cool or Wet - Fully Zipped.
Light Jacket / Cool or Breezy- Light scarf required, long end exposed, short end tucked into front of jacket neck.
Light Jacket / Wet or Breezy - Hands preferably in pockets.
Long sleeve shirt - One button down, sleeves cleanly rolled up at EXACTLY 3 intervals of the height of the cuff
... etc. etc.

See, there are RULES for these things. There is always a Right Answer. And yet at the same time, I have no problem putting off a haircut for MONTHS, looking like Shaggy from Scooby-Do, as long as my sideburns are trimmed level with the base of my nose. Why don't I make ANY SENSE :!: :?: :!: :?:

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 1:57 pm

tharn wrote:
Hands preferably in pockets.

My hands are almost always in pockets.

When I wear a jacket and realize it's much too warm for it, I'll take it off and tie it around my waist, Ted "Theodore" Logan style \m/

I have quite a few habits that stem from that movie ¬_¬

Lunar-Lander
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 May 2008, 2:54 pm

It's important to my comfort to be able to tolerate having my zipper undone if the weather deems necessary. Sometimes having a light jacket is essential on a coolish day but having it zipped to the top will cause me to get too warm.

It would probably be beneficial to your son to get him used to being flexible regarding his zipper. In the long run he will need to accept this for his own comfort.

LL

instead of hanging out in bars.

Marsman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Oct 2014, 10:32 pm

My boyfriend has autism and loves his parka to be zipped up totally to the top of his neck. He said it makes him feel safe and warm. He is very very cold natured. I have seen him wear tow jackets completely zipped up when it is kind of cold outside. I always zip my zipper up because he wants me to stay warm and not get sick. He will zip my jacket all the way up to keep me warm. So I kind of understand it and I just keep zipped up to keep him calm. We have been together for 5 years and we are happy. So the little things I can do to make him feel good. I do.

Hugs. :)

jbw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Oct 2014, 4:15 am

serenity wrote:
venuseagle wrote:
The biggest thing about zippers that my son cannot cope with is the zip not being done up at all. He cannot tolerate or cope with wearing something that has a zipper if the zipper is completely undone. This has lead to meltdowns which last until the zip is finally done up. With reference to what tharn says I don't think my son is flexible enough for a rule that says the zipper is allowed to not be done up at all. For whatever reason he feels that if the zipper is there it must be done up.

Venus

My 6 yo is this way. I don't think it has anything to do with sensory issues. I think it's just one of his many "rules". He could be sweating to death, and he'd never allow the zipper to budge from the all the way up position. lol Not only that, but he inspects to see that everyone else has theirs done up, too.

All problems can be solved with another rule ;-)

My son never leaves the house without a backpack that contains clothing and wet weather gear for all all occasions and seasons. Have never watched out for a zipper rule, but I'm sure the zipper must always be fully up, otherwise why does it have the length it has?

For the record, I happily use the idiot button whenever I feel cold. 95% of the time any zippers will also be fully up, because I dislike the rough feel of on open zipper, especially if the zipper is of the metal variety.