blowing things way out of proportion, but not on purpose?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 9:59 am

I think you didn't blow this out of proportion. Not that it was good to have a meltdown, not at all. It's just a bad collection of details that bothered you a lot and thus made you blow up but that the average person isn't bothered by.
Why did the TV had to run? Could you have left? Well, no matter as that is of the past. Anyway:

Age1600 wrote:
To everybody else it was blowing things way out of proportion, but to me, that moment, my scratches on my legs were getting stuck to my pants bothering me, my hair was in my mouth, their were weird noises everywhere, and the flipping of the tv channels was bothering me, so moving my phone just set me off like a timebomb.

If you would have felt perfectly fine, not bothered by the scratches on your legs, hair, the noise, the flipping TV channels but blew up over the phone being misplaced... then yes, I think that would think that's like blowing things out of proportion. If you wouldn't be bothered too much by the phone being misplaced yesterday, but it suddenly made you blow up - while you felt totally fine, totally rested, no other issues - I think that would be like blowing up and like an emotional tantrum.

People always wonder while I get annoyed if I have to read but listen at things at the same time, sit under the artificial yellow light, see and feel people moving around the room, all at the same time...

It's like +1 bothering thing, +1 bothering thing, +1 another bothering thing, +1, +1, +1... and at 20 points I'll blow up.

If there's a day on which you go from like 0 points to 20 over something that's usually just +1 point for you, not a big deal usually, then that's blowing up without reason, I think.

But if there's already a long list of stuff that's bothering you, even if it's not bothering the other people, it's just natural to feel super stressed.

I know other people aren't bothered by artificial lights, by people moving around, by listening to talking while having to read, because their brains allow them to do all this. Mine doesn't, so these things tend to bother me a lot. I also have to endure the regular 'I feel all my clothes, I hear other people breathing, I hear their steps, I hear the noise my pen makes on paper'. I could get along with that, but not if another 20 things come on top.

Uh, sorry if I rambled on. I do got told I'm blowing things out of proportion a lot in the past.

Then I started to explain to people how I perceived the situations, described them what I saw/heard/felt and they were suddenly understanding how come I was so stressed. They also told me how they perceived the same situations very differently.

Usually, they notice a lot less stuff than me. If somebody's talking, they're not that bothered. They can 'shut it out'. I was seeing all these people running around in a bar, really distracting me and the person I was with just answered, after I explained why I had trouble listening and talking to them that 'they didn't really notice all these people who were running around.' All right, no wonder they were okay.

So... maybe you do blow some things out of proportion. I do and I think all people do, sometimes. But your example is something I wouldn't consider blowing out of proportion.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 10:12 am

Hey Sora what you said about others noticing less things then you reminded me of when I would try to explain to people what it was and basicaly the same thing you just said often is there response. I personaly feel a bit stupid as it is like that did not even bother them.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 12:11 pm

Sora wrote:
I think you didn't blow this out of proportion. Not that it was good to have a meltdown, not at all. It's just a bad collection of details that bothered you a lot and thus made you blow up but that the average person isn't bothered by.
Why did the TV had to run? Could you have left? Well, no matter as that is of the past. Anyway:

Age1600 wrote:
To everybody else it was blowing things way out of proportion, but to me, that moment, my scratches on my legs were getting stuck to my pants bothering me, my hair was in my mouth, their were weird noises everywhere, and the flipping of the tv channels was bothering me, so moving my phone just set me off like a timebomb.

If you would have felt perfectly fine, not bothered by the scratches on your legs, hair, the noise, the flipping TV channels but blew up over the phone being misplaced... then yes, I think that would think that's like blowing things out of proportion. If you wouldn't be bothered too much by the phone being misplaced yesterday, but it suddenly made you blow up - while you felt totally fine, totally rested, no other issues - I think that would be like blowing up and like an emotional tantrum.

People always wonder while I get annoyed if I have to read but listen at things at the same time, sit under the artificial yellow light, see and feel people moving around the room, all at the same time...

It's like +1 bothering thing, +1 bothering thing, +1 another bothering thing, +1, +1, +1... and at 20 points I'll blow up.

If there's a day on which you go from like 0 points to 20 over something that's usually just +1 point for you, not a big deal usually, then that's blowing up without reason, I think.

But if there's already a long list of stuff that's bothering you, even if it's not bothering the other people, it's just natural to feel super stressed.

I know other people aren't bothered by artificial lights, by people moving around, by listening to talking while having to read, because their brains allow them to do all this. Mine doesn't, so these things tend to bother me a lot. I also have to endure the regular 'I feel all my clothes, I hear other people breathing, I hear their steps, I hear the noise my pen makes on paper'. I could get along with that, but not if another 20 things come on top.

Uh, sorry if I rambled on. I do got told I'm blowing things out of proportion a lot in the past.

Then I started to explain to people how I perceived the situations, described them what I saw/heard/felt and they were suddenly understanding how come I was so stressed. They also told me how they perceived the same situations very differently.

Usually, they notice a lot less stuff than me. If somebody's talking, they're not that bothered. They can 'shut it out'. I was seeing all these people running around in a bar, really distracting me and the person I was with just answered, after I explained why I had trouble listening and talking to them that 'they didn't really notice all these people who were running around.' All right, no wonder they were okay.

So... maybe you do blow some things out of proportion. I do and I think all people do, sometimes. But your example is something I wouldn't consider blowing out of proportion.

Yea i totally agree with you, it sucks how that always happens. I was writing a website to put up called one with autism explains more into detail about autism, but i kinda stopped because i thought it was frivolous haha big word.

21 Jul 2008, 12:37 pm

I have gotten upset when my boyfriend would turn off Benny & Joon before the credits were over. Today I got upset with my boyfriend for not asking the Comcast company a question regarding our bill I wanted him to ask, so I started yelling at him and rattling the bill. He said the reason it went up was because we were having a discount for 6 months and it went up but I just kept pointing to something on the bill I had never seen before and he said we already had that. I wanted him to tell them we never ordered that feature and I got mad when he didn't tell them that.