Oh dear I’ve just had an anxiety attack!! !! !!

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

intense
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jul 2008, 8:43 am

I just had a meeting with someone I never met before, it was going ok but towards the end I started to get cold sweats and feel shaky my face and arms felt numb I thought I was going to pass out 8O He's gone now I've still got the shakes though.
I've had panic attacks before when I felt like I was going to die I've even passed out a couple of times, this was similar but not as extreme so I put it down to an anxiety attack.

I don't know why it happened, he was a nice guy I guess the stress of the meeting got to me somehow.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 8:54 am

Well take it easy.

intense
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jul 2008, 9:02 am

Thanks bradleigh I will, I hate it when things hit you out of the blue like that! God only knows what the numbness + pins and needles was all about? I felt pretty bad though.

Anyone else who get's anxiety attacks feel like that?

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 9:08 am

It probably feels very stressful right now but try to relax and don't try to figure out why it happened. If I have an anxiety attack, I sometimes obsessively analyze it afterwards and this increases the fear of another attack. It feels really bad, but its usually pretty harmless and the person may not have noticed anything was wrong. Do something you like and forget about it. Its a temporary response to stress and happens to everyone whether they're autistic or not.

intense
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jul 2008, 9:12 am

Thanks that's good advice, I don't really get them as a rule that's why I was so shocked by this one, the guy didn't notice thank god it wasn't his fault.

I hope this doesn't become a regular occurrence 8O

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 9:20 am

Well I know I have had them, I have had times where I have had trouble breathing and my whole body feels wrong. Maybe it can be that your heart was racing or something, pins and needles can be from the blood flow that may have been it, I think that I often feel like my heart is out of control.

intense
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jul 2008, 9:24 am

Yeah now you mention it my heart was beating faster than usual but I was more weirded out by the cold sweats and pins and needles to notice at first.

I'm glad I didn't have a panic attack they are the worst!

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2008, 11:08 am

intense wrote:
Thanks bradleigh I will, I hate it when things hit you out of the blue like that! God only knows what the numbness + pins and needles was all about? I felt pretty bad though.

I have felt numbness + pins and needles lots of times. Is that really a symptom of an anxiety attack? If you could provide proof that it is, I would be very relieved because I've always worried that those sensations were because of something worse...

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2008, 11:11 am

intense wrote:
I'm glad I didn't have a panic attack they are the worst!
What is the difference? If you look up "anxiety attack" on wikipedia, it redirects you to "panic attack"...

intense
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jul 2008, 11:18 am

DJRnold wrote:
intense wrote:

I have felt numbness + pins and needles lots of times. Is that really a symptom of an anxiety attack? If you could provide proof that it is, I would be very relieved because I've always worried that those sensations were because of something worse...

Well when I've had a really bad panic attack to the point of passing out I have felt pins and needles and some numbness I guess this felt like a mild panic attack so I called it a anxiety attack instead, if they are totally different please feel free to correct me :wink:

I do know diabetes can cause symptoms of both numbness and pins and needles but I have been tested for that and it came out negative.

It’s worth having a diabetes check if it runs in your family or you are of a certain age.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 11:18 am

I think a panic attack suggests a more intense and shocking form of anxiety that completely overpowers normal responses. You could just refer to them all as panic attacks to avoid confusion. I used to get a pain in my chest when I was anxious and of course not being very aware of my feeling I would interpret this as a medical problem and not a mental one.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 11:31 am

I think an anxiety attack is when your anxious and a panic attack is when you are actualy panicing. A panic attack would be worse where you go beyond just afraid of whats going to happen, I think that a panic attack can be a bit more damaging. I wonder if I even explained anything, oh I am starting to get anxious will they think less of me.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 11:50 am

I would agree that its a matter of intensity. Panic suggests a loss of control to me.

intense
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jul 2008, 11:55 am

I can't say it feels like the panic you feel when you run away from something scary, when I have a panic attack I feel like intensely uncomfortable and then the feeling ill starts with the cold sweat numbness pins and needles my head feels like it's spinning I get ringing in the ears and if it's real bad even passing out.