Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

lightening020
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 1:11 am

a buddy of mine invited me to his house to play beer pong. He said there were alot of people there alot of acquaintances of mine, and also some girls (who I obviously dont know...being that they are girls).

beer pong sounds fun and it might be fun be. However I get the feeling like nobody in my life really knows me. I feel tired of hanging around people that don't belong in my life. That isnt my scene. Im not some party guy. I dont have a scene. I dont know what I am, but thats not me. Im tired of faking it. Plus I have to ride my bike there so it will be at least 30 min bike.

But at the same time its either that, or stay at home because I have nothing else. I hate making decisions based on being desperate. I HATE "well at least its something" excuse iv been using to hang around with people who ALTHOUGH generally like me and accept me dont really know who I am, and when I think about it have almost nothing in common with me and really are just acquaintances.

making desperate decisions only leads to me not being the "best" me, and instead sub-par. I feel like If I went I wouldnt be all that competent socially. Im in a depressed state. Im tired of feeling like I need to drink as a crutch. I mean I do feel maybe half-accepted by this "buddy" of mine, and probably the other people too, and they dont treat me bad or anything. But is that really where I belong? Are those people really

Are these valid to stay home alone? Should you always be "getting out there" and taking risks? I kind of agree but in my current state of depression and not really wanting to drink and put on a good face.

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 6:03 am

Well, what do you want to do? Read a book, play chess, go for a walk? There's more to choose from than go or don't go :)

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 6:13 am

I had to google "beer pong" - It looks like a very silly game.

The thing about parties is that you can go a little later and leave a little earlier. If you feel like it - hop on your bike - attend the party for an hour or hour and a half - and graciously leave. This is called "making an appearance."

You will get a chance to enjoy your friend, say "hello" to a few new people and get some exercise (via riding your bike). You will not be staying so long as to get intoxicated. It will get you out of the house for a bit. When you get home - curl up with a good book or a video game or chat on WP or whatever else makes you happy.

If you are really not feeling happy about this kind of party (I mean really, it sounds extremely silly....) just say that you're not available and arrange to do an activity more to your liking with your friend another time.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 6:28 am

Do what's right for you.

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

05 Jun 2010, 6:30 am

If the available events are insufficient to your needs, provide alternative suggestions
according to your own preference. If you are into board games, encourage others to
play board games with you. If you fancy tennis, well, you get the idea. Compliance
may vary, but the consequences are rarely negative, so the net gain is in your favor.
Besides, that beer pong game was probably initiated by someone with no more
persuasive than yourself (I assume).

Tomapella
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jun 2010, 7:35 am

Heh, beer pong. I live a few blocks from a university and it's pretty much the official sport of my neighborhood, that and screaming Neil Diamond songs as you stumble down the street at 2AM RIGHT OUTSIDE MY FREAKING WINDOW ARGH. I have never played it, though I have been in places where it was going on several times. The nice thing about a party is, there are usually a wide assortment of people there, and chances are, everybody there isn't there just to get drunk.

I understand ya though, I have periods sometimes where going out anywhere is a struggle. Sometimes I do stay in when my friends are going out, and sometimes you REALLY need that quiet time or else things can get ugly. I guess I'd say that if you do end up going, really try not to worry about whether or not you're being "sub-par". People probably like your true personality more than you think they do. And don't feel like you have to stay the whole time, either, CanadianRose's post is right on.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 12:23 pm

I wouldn't take part.