Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

rekoil
Raven
Raven

17 Aug 2008, 1:10 am

Yes, I do, mostly because nobody ever hears me.

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2008, 2:14 am

Yeah, I repeat a lot of sentences relating to our dog Rosie (or sometimes just "Rosie"). Also random stuff. Between ages 11 and 16, mostly I repeated things from TV. When I was ages 3-7, one of the things I repeated a lot was "I am Batman". Nowadays I mostly will repeat right after what someone's already said (like if they ask "Do you want something to drink?" I might say "something to drink").

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 4:30 am

I also am guilty of repetition.

I repeat myself (both word for word, or repeating same information), and I repeat the verbalisations of others (I often repeat phrases from tv for instance, both immediately or delayed).

I actually have a great deal of difficulty suppressing the compulsion to repeat phrases picked up from elsewhere (for instance I cannot hear the word 'prepared' at the moment without uttering either 'but she is prepared for dinner' or some minor variation thereof, ie 'but is she prepared for dinner', or 'but he is prepared for dinner', or 'let's hope they're prepared for dinner; this is the result of multiple exposures to a series of adverts that incorporate the following line "she wasn't prepared for that, but she is prepared for dinner").

When I am repeating from some source other than myself, I do try to vary the phrase (I am repeating) so that it is at least contextually relevant, and sometimes it can even be entertaining to others (who apparently interpret it as a joke if they are familiar with the source being quoted), but I fear that a lot of the time, I just end up sounding a bit odd.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 4:31 am

No. No.

kitty2
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2008, 6:44 am

yep I repeat myself too.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 8:27 am

All the time. I always get told I've already told certain anecdotes... a bit annoying because I feel silly, but nevermind. Now I find if I say "Have I already told you about..." and it gets it over with faster. Haha.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 9:07 am

I think it's kind of funny to do. It's not something I try to stop. For example yesterday we were at Walmart and I said I can't beleive Walmart was dead on Black Friday. That's when you need to go to Walmart on Black Friday when they are dead. (I repeated this in some form 2-3 times LOL!)

No_YOU_get_over_it
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2008, 9:22 am

I repeat myself when I haven't picked up a signal that the other person has understood or heard what I've said. Seriously, I think some NTs just don't give real indications even for each other. If someone gets annoyed and says "I understood you the first time," then I tell them what kind of signal would indicate to me that they've understood.

Comments or quips, not so much. And it drives me nuts when people repeat things to which I've already responded - I actually thought that was an NT thing from lack of interesting things to contribute to a conversation.

As a kid I reaped my mother's rage by saying "what?" then repeating the last few words of questions I was asked, before answering it. She's a royal b!tch though. When I think about how little tolerance she had for anything not princess pretty perfect ... yeah, don't tell me that ASDs are the ones lacking empathy.

NB: contents of above post represent my opinion at time of post only. YMMV, NAYY, and most importantly, IALBTC!

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 9:44 am

Yes, I repeat myself a lot. I don't organize my speech well, so often after I've said something I wish I had included more details or explained things somehow better, so I try to add explanations afterwards, but that's kind of repetitive and annoys people.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 9:54 am

No_YOU_get_over_it wrote:
I repeat myself when I haven't picked up a signal that the other person has understood or heard what I've said. Seriously, I think some NTs just don't give real indications even for each other. If someone gets annoyed and says "I understood you the first time," then I tell them what kind of signal would indicate to me that they've understood.

Omg yes, yes yes yes!! I get this so much.

"I heard you the first time!"
"Did you? A simple nod or 'ok' or 'yeah' or smile or SOMETHING would have been nice, how am I meant to know you heard me if you just sit there and don't react at all?!"

Sometimes it's like we're meant to be mindreaders or something.

Roseduelist
Raven
Raven

17 Aug 2008, 1:10 pm

I do, it is like someone hits an erase button and I end up repeating myself over and over again

No_YOU_get_over_it
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2008, 2:27 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
"I heard you the first time!"
"Did you? A simple nod or 'ok' or 'yeah' or smile or SOMETHING would have been nice, how am I meant to know you heard me if you just sit there and don't react at all?!"

Sometimes it's like we're meant to be mindreaders or something.

This is an area where I feel like even well-meaning NTs slip into an abusive mode of presuming anything that goes wrong in communication is =my= fault. I haven't told many people I'm AS, but I've mentioned "improving my communication skills" to quite a few, and boy has that gotten thrown in my face. No matter whether the other person is really all that adept her/him-self.

NB: contents of above post represent my opinion at time of post only. YMMV, NAYY, and most importantly, IALBTC!

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 6:01 pm

Over and over, rollover topic

Didn't we have this topic before? I do not mind; it just seems familiar.

Yes, I do this, as do others, but I do it to ensure the other person understands the importance of what I am saying. I suppose it is in a pedantic way that I repeat some info twice in one conversation. :o

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 6:14 pm

I do this a lot, too. My mom will tell me I've been saying something a lot, but I can't remember saying it before.

Timpani
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Aug 2008, 6:17 pm

Often - usually to myself.

I assume that most people will "rehearse" saying the things that are important to them to say, in case they get an audience sometime. But since I do it silently, I guess others do too, so I might be mistaken.

telrad
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Aug 2008, 3:13 pm

Yes--mostly when I am around strangers for some reason, but it happens more frequently when I try to tell a joke. I repeat the punchline at least twice.

I wish I could control it.