Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MariaRenee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Aug 2008, 7:37 pm

I have a blog. Nothing that requires knowledge or talent- it's through WordPad. I got 3 abusive, threatening comments today from someone who does not like my opinions. I have the comment approval function set, so I just marked the comments as spam. There is an IP address for the comments. There is a WhoIs entry that gives me the ISP- but is there a way to find out anything else about the person?

I really don't care about the comments, but I am a little worried about someone hacking in or something because they are so deranged and furious about my opinions.

Interestingly, my opinions, though strong, are in the majority. This person just strongly disagrees (to put it mildly). I'm not a crazy fringe political person or anything.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 7:46 pm

You would have to find out from the person that owns/maintains the ISP. Usually, that takes a court order.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 7:46 pm

Ignore the comments. Report the IP address to the provider. Let them handle it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 8:12 pm

they may be using proxies which mean would not get their actual address from.

all whois gives from IPs is just the town/country anyway,its not much.

unless they happen to post a website they own,with their own domain name,and they havent bothered to hide their details,it gives away their home address,which could give to police etc.
if they are regular,maybe could ask them for the name of their website,though that would only be any good if they had one.

nasty people,they shouldnt be allowed an internet connection if that's what they use it for.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!