Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 6:08 pm

On a recent trip away with the Asperger society, my echolalia was picked up on. It's one of those things you don't realise until it's picked up on. But apparently it's very noticeable.

Surprised I was picked up on rather than one of the other guys, whose AS is a lot more extreme anyway, but he easily trumps me in echolalia. Then again it always seems to be when I (rather than anyone else) am speaking and he repeats.

Who else has echolalia, been picked up on for it or maybe has it but doesn't realise?

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Sep 2008, 6:12 pm

I have to fight this, when out in public. Or it is misunderstood. If I do it in a group of people, it is sure to be picked up on. Like, I once echoed a woman's laugh. And the person I was with, thought that I was being cruel and making fun of the woman who had laughed. I wasn't sure how to explain myself. :oops:

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 6:38 pm

Surprisingly, I don't, except with the missus, who has a speaking style remarkably noun and pronoun free...:)

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 8:52 pm

i do a lot of echolalia, a lot, i can fight it sometimes, other times its jsut natural to me. to me its another form of communicating.

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 9:17 pm

I don't have full-blown echolalia, but I occasionally speak in the tone of a movie line.

Then again, it's hard to tell sometimes what's common and what's out of a movie.

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 9:47 pm

I do it a lot, though usually people don't point it out to me. If I hear something funny or interesting or just good-sounding - with a particular rhyme or rhythm - I get stuck on it and repeat it.

Today it was, "Here is the church, and here is the steeple; here are the sheep masquerading as people."

I repeated it three times before my fiance said anything.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 10:49 pm

I mainly notice it in videos...which is funny, because I don't really notice it so much in real life. I only have sorta mild echolalia. I do repeat myself alot though...If I say certain phrases, I will say them over and over again. I think there is a different term for repeating ones self.

Saffy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Sep 2008, 10:54 pm

perseveration = repeating oneself or a particular topic, you kind of get " stuck"

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 11:03 pm

I will parrot the same phrase over and over again....you left the headlights on again...left the headlights on again...left the headlights on agian.....go away evil kitten....go away go away go away....

Saffy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Sep 2008, 11:11 pm

yep that is perseveration poopy!

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 11:15 pm

I have delayed echolalia only. I recite movie and TV quotes to myself in the proper intonation all of the time, and I often will use the quotes in my daily conversations with people.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 12:22 am

Sometimes. Nothing clinically noteworthy.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 9:34 am

I only do it in my head. I have no idea if I did it as a kid (I probably did but my mother can't remember). My son used to do it when he was 3. He only does it now if he doesn't understand a question or if he gets very anxious and upset.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 9:51 am

I pick up people's accents and favourite phrases real quickly. I also "speak films" a lot. I tend to repeat someones words a few times if I don't "get it" instantly.

maybe it's mild echolalia but to be honest none of my friends have ever pointed it out to me. I did get a lot of "are you taking a piss??" when I lived in UK but up there every other person has an accent of their own so there was a lot to echo from lol

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 12:46 pm

Would it be considered echolalia when one sorta uncontrollably mimics another persons accent?

I have done that too.

There was this Scottish lady I worked with and sometimes ate lunch with and it took sheer force of will not to mimic her accent. I had to force force force a low robot like voice...cover my mouth when I spoke..etc...

Whenever we had Canadian bands play at our venue, I thinks some of them might have thought I was making fun of them or something....'cause I will adopt the cadence of their speech..

At the office I have been having to talk to a number of customers from New york..and I pick up their accent too.

That called something else too, isn't it?

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Sep 2008, 4:07 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
Would it be considered echolalia when one sorta uncontrollably mimics another persons accent?

I have done that too.

There was this Scottish lady I worked with and sometimes ate lunch with and it took sheer force of will not to mimic her accent. I had to force force force a low robot like voice...cover my mouth when I spoke..etc...

Whenever we had Canadian bands play at our venue, I thinks some of them might have thought I was making fun of them or something....'cause I will adopt the cadence of their speech..

At the office I have been having to talk to a number of customers from New york..and I pick up their accent too.

That called something else too, isn't it?

Ha,ha, I do that too! Once I worked at a place that accepted exchange students from England, for summer jobs. I had a hell of a time shaking their accent! And, when I went to Cali to do activist work for Mexican immigrants, I had a Mexican accent for the longest. And, once I pick up an accent, I can imitate it perfectly, years later.