no 34%  34%  [ 80 ]
maybe 29%  29%  [ 68 ]
Total votes : 233

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 11:22 am

Saerain wrote:
Slowmutant, do you have a relative in the New Jersey police force named Tritter?

No.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 11:33 am

Saerain wrote:
Slowmutant, do you have a relative in the New Jersey police force named Tritter?

I hated detective Tritter even more than Vogler.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 11:34 am

Fuzzy wrote:
Saerain wrote:

Wait ... is Tritter a fictional character? How can I have a fictional character as a relative?

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 11:47 am

slowmutant wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
Saerain wrote:

Wait ... is Tritter a fictional character? How can I have a fictional character as a relative?

He was a cop that harrassed House. Played by the actor that portrayed "brutal" the prison guard in "the green mile".. tom hanks character's friend.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 11:53 am

Oh, right. I saw one episode where House actually got busted for possession of Vicodin. But for some reason he didn't lose his medical licence, he didn't go to jail ...

If the show let us see the consequences of House's behaviour, then I might hate him a little less. As it is, House seems to get away with everything. As if it's his God-given right to behave badly.

Why would a guy with a gimp leg ride a high-powered motorcyle?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 1:25 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Oh, right. I saw one episode where House actually got busted for possession of Vicodin. But for some reason he didn't lose his medical licence, he didn't go to jail ...

If the show let us see the consequences of House's behaviour, then I might hate him a little less. As it is, House seems to get away with everything. As if it's his God-given right to behave badly.

Why would a guy with a gimp leg ride a high-powered motorcyle?

He wasn't unable to walk, it just hurt. So the motorcycle wasn't that bad an idea. He almost DID get busted for the vicodin, but he DID have a LEGITIMATE reason for taking it. If he has a LEGITIMATE use, there is no reason he should lose his medical license.

The ONLY illegal part I see is the breaking and entering and trespass. He DID have some things bordering on assualt, battery and slander, but slander happens ALL the time, assault and battery also isn't THAT rare, to that degree. If it results in a paradox, or a cure, there isn't much of a likelyhood that it will be prosecuted.

HECK, remember the time he violated a DNR? He was charged, and then denied the person the right to kill themselves or to have a DNR! That got him out of the lawsuit because a lawsuit would give him the right to face his accuser, and a suicide would deny him the right! That is a good example of how a paradox got him out. Even Cuddy(sp?) said that her costs for House were lower than she expected, and that she kept a fund to pay for the lawyer expenses he figured he would have.

I can't speak for Canada, but the US court system really DOES work like that!

Saerain
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2009, 1:29 pm

Tritter should have gone to jail.

A police officer pursuing a personal vendetta.

We'll leave aside the fact that House was right and Tritter assaulted him. That's nothing.

Tritter arrests House on his way home from the hospital for DUI and resisting arrest, which he wasn't and didn't. The police know this, they admitted as much to House's lawyer.

Thus it was an illegal arrest. By a cop pursuing a personal vendetta. That should have gotten Tritter in trouble already.

But then, based on that illegal arrest, Tritter swore out a search warrant for House's apartment.

Perjury. I don't know what the technical term would be for a police officer lying to a judge to unlawfully obtain a warrant, but whatever it is, Tritter did it.

Then he executed the illegal warrant.

Where to start? That's illegal and violates the US Constitution's prohibition on unwarranted search.

Oh, and unwarranted seizure, because he took House's pills.

Tritter harassed House at work, as well as his superiors, colleagues and subordinates, repeatedly seized or perused hospital records -- which violates doctor-patient confidentiality.

Then he froze Dr. Wilson's financial accounts in an attempt to get Wilson to testify against House.

That would be a violation of federal banking laws.

Ditto for Cameron, Foreman, and Chase (House's subordinates) when Tritter froze their accounts.

He involved the FDA and had Wilson's right to prescribe drugs revoked. Again, that's federal.

He had Wilson's car impounded. I'm going with the Constitution again, with a side order of local and state laws.

Now, I get that there are bad cops out there. Not every police officer can be Dixon of Dock Green or Adrian Monk, so that's not the problem

The problem I have is that House's lawyer failed to put a saddle and bridal on that gangsteresque little butt-hurt copper and ridden him all the way to the bank.

Not only would House end up owning a large slice of the city, but Tritter -- if he didn't end up in prison -- would be lucky to get a job guarding a gerbil cage.

Plus, why didn't Tritter's superiors yank him off of a case he clearly had a personal involvement in?

I get that the show's writers want to introduce conflict, that Tritter was that season's nemesis -- the anti-House, if you will -- but I was livid that garbage heap of a man never paid.

Last edited by Saerain on 24 Jan 2009, 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 1:40 pm

Saerain wrote:
Tritter should have gone to jail.

House should have gone to jail. IF not for the Vicodin, then for something else. I don't root for House at all, in case you haven't noticed. I don't admire House. I don't care if he is Aspie or not.

Saerain
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2009, 1:49 pm

Yeah, I got that, if not from your desire to administer a mafia-style beating than from something else. Hence likening you to Tritter.

I don't care about a diagnosis for his personality, either. I do care that people hate him. I find that fascinating. I tend to think that the idiotic contempt people direct at him in the show is unrealistic, and I'm unpleasantly surprised to find that for the majority it's not.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 1:53 pm

Saerain wrote:
Yeah, I got that, if not from your desire to administer a mafia-style beating than from something else. Hence likening you to Tritter.

I don't care about a diagnosis for his personality, either. I do care that people hate him. I find that fascinating. I tend to think that the idiotic contempt people direct at him in the show is unrealistic, and I'm unpleasantly surprised to find that for the majority it's not.

The whole show is unrealistic, mainly because of its title character. People like House do not get to become doctors.

Saerain
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2009, 1:55 pm

Shame.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 1:58 pm

Saerain wrote:
Shame.

Not a shame. A good thing.

If House your hero, it's time to shop for another hero.

Saerain
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2009, 2:15 pm

You just want him for yourself. Hands off, honey, he's mine.

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2009, 2:23 pm

slowmutant wrote:
The whole show is unrealistic, mainly because of its title character.

Pretty much all television is unrealistic--one of the reasons people enjoy watching it in the first place.

Quote:
People like House do not get to become doctors.

Really? Maybe research is not your forte (don't worry, it is mine):

Dr. Richard G Buch:

Quote:
Like television's Dr. Gregory House, Buch is a scourge of hospital administrators and underlings.

"The guy is one of the most brilliant surgeons that I've ever worked with in 25 years," says one former colleague, a nurse who asked not to be identified. "The guy can do things that most mortal doctors can't even dream of. He's also one of the most self-destructive, obnoxious, vicious people I've ever met."

Buch's medical license was suspended for unprofessional behavior in 2001. In a dozen medical malpractice lawsuits filed against him in Dallas County, his skills, ethics and personal behavior have been questioned. Some lawsuits have been dismissed; a few have been settled by his insurance companies. In the handful of cases that have gone to trial, Buch has won.

alba
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 3:41 pm

The first dozen or so shows, I loved it. House was my hero. By around the 20th show, I hated House and the show. Now I'm back to more or less watching reruns. At this point I'm not so involved with House the character.

House doesn't just have a 140 i.q. He's a medical genius/monster. Not that Einstein was a monster but in the sense of being a genius.....House is to medicine what Einstein is to physics. Although Einstein was a brilliant physicist, he certainly wasn't that way with everything. Einstein's specialty was very narrow. So is House's. If Einstein had a 190 i.q. in physics, House has a corresponding 190 i.q. in the practice of medicine [or close to it]. While House can't be compared with Hitler in most ways, he seems to have the same kind of arrogance and driving faith in himself....without any observable humility to go along with it. This is the monster side of House.

As is common in the west, House emphasizes life and worships it. He doesn't care about anything except saving lives.....no matter how he has to do it. He has compassion for life--his God. But no compassion for the actual patient and the patient's quality of life. To him life is all that matters; quality of life be damned. In the east, life and death are more likely to be seen as inseparable, 2 sides of the same coin. Neither are preferable to the other. Both have to be accepted. And appreciated in relation to each other. This eastern outlook would be mocked by House. What's to appreciate about death?

Well ask Jack Kevorkian. Death is peace, an end to suffering. House seems oblivious to the suffering he inflicts upon his patients, both physical and emotional [as well as to his patients' families, his staff, and everyone he meets]. He may not be completely oblivious but whatever iota of compassion he possesses, simply cannot be allowed to interfere with his mission. And he's on a mission. House isn't concerned with the means, only the end. Nothing matters to him but life itself, and the continuation of life. Which in many respects is admirable. He's very good at what he does, if what he does is the continuation of life ----no matter what the price that must be paid.

Is House an aspie? Perhaps. OCD? Sociopath? Overly dedicated to his job?

House, the show, is making a scathing indictment of the medical profession and to miss that is to miss the whole point of the show.

Saerain
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2009, 4:01 pm

Based on what? Which patient would have been better off dead, yet wasn't granted death?

Every time that I can recall that situation has come up, House has done everything in his power to save them, yet done nothing to continue their suffering when it was clear he couldn't help.

That he won't kill anyone who walks in and says they want to die without determining there's no way to end their suffering without killing them is hardly a character flaw, I think.

Seems more like you're criticizing Cuddy, who really does value life above quality of life, to the most radical extreme. She and House clash over it all the time. Cameron was like Cuddy in this way, until she gave one suffering man what he wanted. For which House was proud of her, by the way.

Wow, I've never been a geek about a television show. This is sad.

Last edited by Saerain on 24 Jan 2009, 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.