are mathematical, scientific, aspic people abtract?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jus4u76
Raven
Raven

27 Nov 2008, 10:41 pm

i put "i don't like chemath i like" as my msn nickname and someone thought i didn't like math. i told him he should read carefully and he said, "i can't compute such abstract ideas u put on ur name."

i love metaphors and analogies. i come up with them even when i don't put effort to it. i come up with great analogies/metaphors. my advisor told me that i sure do come up with good analogies/metaphors. i told a surgeon about an analogy that i have for my situation and he said he has never thought anything like that before.

did you think that im a guy or girl before you peeked at my profile?

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2008, 11:58 pm

Huh?

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 11:59 pm

does it matter?...;)

some guys pretend to be a girl online, because everyone wants to talk to the girls...

I didn't look at your profile, either...;) but just be yourself, that's all that counts.

Death_of_Pathos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Nov 2008, 12:51 am

I don't like chem /// math I like

Funny, I assumed you were a guy running a social experiment by putting a picture of a woman who would be widely received as ideally attractive. ie, that the photo was 'just for us'. Is that photo of you?

I work very well with metaphors. Its how I relate to most of the concepts that I can not directly tackle. More recently Taoist teachings have taught me how to abstract beyond metaphor, which further aids in the process of assimilating information into knowledge.

Does that help?

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Nov 2008, 1:00 am

Oh, was that last question unrelated to your story? I'm tired.

Last edited by Pithlet on 28 Nov 2008, 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

jus4u76
Raven
Raven

28 Nov 2008, 1:02 am

Pithlet wrote:
Oh, was that last question unrelated to your story? I'm tired.

No I never assume someone is a guy or girl online unless they make it known in their post. It's common for people to pick avatars of the opposite gender. That looks like a celebrity avatar, so I made no assumptions.

WHY DON'T PPL ANSWER MY Q!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Nov 2008, 1:18 am

Well in your post you never got around to asking the question that I thought I read in the title of the thread (hence my initial confusion). In answer to that of course aspies can think abstract. If you look around long enough you'll find all kinds of clever analogies here. Also mathematics and science often require some abstract thought, so conctrete thinking doesn't always exclude creativity. They are not opposites. Some people may just be stronger in one, but one doesn't exclude the other, and aspies can be strong or weak in either though they are often thought to be more analytical. Doesn't necesarily mean they're all good at math, or all bad at art. Many aspies have very artistic obsessions.

Second question, I didn't give it any thought. Was that supposed to be related, or were you just curious?

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 2:32 am

Death_of_Pathos wrote:
I work very well with metaphors. Its how I relate to most of the concepts that I can not directly tackle. More recently Taoist teachings have taught me how to abstract beyond metaphor, which further aids in the process of assimilating information into knowledge.

That sounds really interesting. What do you mean by "abstract beyond metaphor"?

Kismet
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Nov 2008, 5:03 am

I thought you were a girl reading your text. Then I saw your avatar and it was the kind of picture guys often use online (attractive girl, obviously not a picture of themselves if you see what I mean). Then your name seemed feminine again.

So I checked your profile.

Kismet

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 5:27 am

jus4u76 wrote:
did you think that im a guy or girl before you peeked at my profile?

I initially thougth that you was a girl; when I read the question I thought that you was a boy

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 5:30 am

Pithlet wrote:
Also mathematics and science often require some abstract thought, so conctrete thinking doesn't always exclude creativity.

Some? Mathematics (at least, since you leave elementary school) is allmost 99.9% abstract thinking.

DarthMaxeuis
Toucan
Toucan

28 Nov 2008, 7:25 am

Maths are abstract, and I am abstract thinking.
My jokes, seems to be humorous to me, and are not humorous to them.
Those jokes I make are very abstract, but if you understand them, it is hilarious.
What are you thinking of that joke (famous in geek communities) : "They're only 10 types of people on earth : those who understand binary and those who don't"
I think also your metaphor in your nickname is very very abstract, I didn't understand it the first time I read it, but now I understand it. :D
And I think you're a male, because in the picture of that girl, there is in the background sponsors, it must be a model, and few people that have AS meets the social requirements to be a model.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 7:32 am

I can be abstract if that abstraction contains an analogy that can be related back to the physical world.
Scientific theories would be one kind of abstraction.

I can understand metaphors and similies that are based on the physical environment/animals rather than people.

As for vague abstractions such as friendship and love, I'm worse at visualising these accurately. I have feelings, but sometimes they are confusing/overwhelming and don't follow a distinct pattern.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 7:44 am

Death_of_Pathos wrote:
Funny, I assumed you were a guy running a social experiment by putting a picture of a woman who would be widely received as ideally attractive. ie, that the photo was 'just for us'. Is that photo of you?

I think it might be an actress called Jessica Alba, although I am mostly basing this on the fact that she (the actress) always reminds me strongly of my sister, and so does the photo.

jus4u76
Raven
Raven

28 Nov 2008, 5:24 pm

DarthMaxeuis wrote:
Maths are abstract, and I am abstract thinking.
My jokes, seems to be humorous to me, and are not humorous to them.
Those jokes I make are very abstract, but if you understand them, it is hilarious.
What are you thinking of that joke (famous in geek communities) : "They're only 10 types of people on earth : those who understand binary and those who don't"
I think also your metaphor in your nickname is very very abstract, I didn't understand it the first time I read it, but now I understand it. :D
And I think you're a male, because in the picture of that girl, there is in the background sponsors, it must be a model, and few people that have AS meets the social requirements to be a model.

im no guy.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 5:46 pm

jus4u76 wrote:
WHY DON'T PPL ANSWER MY Q!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

First, it's hard to tell if you're asking a question when there are 46 exclamation points and no question marks.

Second, correct spelling and grammar are also helpful.

Third, syntax is important. If I were to answer only the thread title...

jus4u76 wrote:
are mathematical, scientific, aspic people abtract?

... I would have to say, "No, we are real."

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.