Page 18 of 22 [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 5:13 pm

shragae wrote:
I'm new here. My 11 year old son who has always had fine motor skill problems (YEARS of OT), tons of ADHD meds (with limited success), was finally tested by a neuropsych this year and diagnosed with NLD. He had convergence insufficiency as a young kid and has major visual spatial problems (a 4 point differential where 1 is considered a disability). . .

Verbal IQ is 138. working memory is around 92 and processing around 101. Yep -- a 40+ point spread.

If you read a description of NLD you might as well have met my son. He is pretty good socially although he is very impulsive and has fairly low self-esteem around friends.

Right now he is in a private middle school (6th grade) and I'm wondering if he can continue there or if he needs a more LD focus. I visited an Autism / AS school and he definitely would not fit in there -- much more high functioning socially and academically.

So I'm just introducing us and saying I'm glad I found the forum.

then let me say welcome to WP :D

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 7:44 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
pineapple wrote:
Ha, better late than never. :wink: It's funny because my experience is the opposite of yours. I went from telling no one about NLD to trying to tell more people. I've gotten to the point where I write about NLD sometimes on my blog, which I know a lot of my friends read. But I still feel nervous about telling people in person. Personally, I'm starting to think that I would rather be open, and let the chips fall where they may. I can pass, but I don't want to. I feel that life is too short. While I don't want to talk about NLD constantly, it would be nice to be able to talk about it in relevant situations. But I feel like I can't really do that yet, because not enough people are well-enough aware what NLD is.

Also, since my last post, I think my mom is trying to understand more about the way my mind works. So, yay?

I never know whether to tell people or not. I am following the same trend you are- from not telling people to sometimes telling people. This girl I am becoming friends with recently told me she has dyslexia, and I blurted out that I have NLD. However, a couple weeks before that a guy that I am becoming friends with told me he has Asperger's, and I didn't tell him about NLD. I also told one former co-worker, and not another former co-worker, even though I like and trust them both, and had been talking with them both about a previous job where I was fired (due to NLD), so it would have been a natural time to divulge the info. But I didn't, because I just don't feel like talking about it all the time, even *if* the situation is relevant. And I also agree with what you said, that not enough people really know what it is. Although after telling the one co-worker, she told me that everyone already at that job already thought I had a learning disability (and one person thought I had Asperger's), so apparently I wasn't covering as well as I thought I was and clearly people are picking up on *something*.

That's kind of the problem. It's not as if I can refrain from telling people, and then they will think I am normal. They will notice something *anyway*, and I would kind of like to explain what that is. And yet I am afraid that they will hear "learning disability" and think that I can't possibly have that, because people always tell me how smart I am (I actually heard this from a therapist once who had met me for about 20 min and was immediately prepared to un-diagnose my NLD and call it "anxiety"). Except that people *have* guessed that I have a learning disability, which is why I want to tell them about it. Argh! I think I am confusing myself with conflicting logic at this point.

Also- did we get un-stickied? This was on page 2 or 3.

Someone said there was no way I could have NLD because my reading comprehension is good and I get good grades in my psychology courses. I hate it when people undiagnose people that they barely know. Give me a map and directions to a new place and watch me try and find it.......... or just try to communicate something to me non verbally...... then you'll believe that I have NLD! :roll:

I also told someone from my ASD support group that I had NLD and he said "no" and went on to explain that I was nothing like this girl he knows who has NLD and is very social (has very good social skills). I had to tell him that I also had AS and then he said that that made sense. He thought that NLD was not associated with any social impairment! I think the inability to discern non-verbal social cues is one of the first symptoms listed in the ICD-10 where NLD is actually recognized.

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 3:51 pm

i read all this and i makes me laugh. i have had people all my life tell me i'm smart, theres nothing wrong w/ you, by people that have previesly told me i do have a prob.
untill more is known about nld(more importantly about how the brain works all together)we will be in the shadows doing what we can to improve.
if you want to tell someone don't be afraid....but know you will have to explain it!

havnoy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Aug 2012, 6:11 pm

Quote:
I'm new here. My 11 year old son who has always had fine motor skill problems (YEARS of OT), tons of ADHD meds (with limited success), was finally tested by a neuropsych this year and diagnosed with NLD. He had convergence insufficiency as a young kid and has major visual spatial problems (a 4 point differential where 1 is considered a disability). . .

Verbal IQ is 138. working memory is around 92 and processing around 101. Yep -- a 40+ point spread.

If you read a description of NLD you might as well have met my son. He is pretty good socially although he is very impulsive and has fairly low self-esteem around friends.

Right now he is in a private middle school (6th grade) and I'm wondering if he can continue there or if he needs a more LD focus. I visited an Autism / AS school and he definitely would not fit in there -- much more high functioning socially and academically.

So I'm just introducing us and saying I'm glad I found the forum.

I am also new here :) welcome to us both :)
i am a 28 yo man from norway, my v iq is 148 my p iq is 80. i dont want to feel sorry for myself, but i feel like one of the most missunderstood persons in the world. when people first meet me, they are stunned of my knowlegde, and the first phase of friendship is really easy for me. after a couple of months the wiev change to ignorant, knowitall, manipulativ and so on, and so on. i have never managed to live by my self, and because of major problems in my family, (mother was boarder line, and hanged herself when i was 16) (father kicked me out of the household when i was 14) i have been 12 of the last fourteen years in institutions, and shorter periods (3 to 9 months at the time) on the streets.

i am not aspie, i have emphaty and feelings, but i am not neurotypical. i have read that nld people kill them self mre often than other ppl, and i understand it, have tried 2 times, but acctually i want to live, but i dont want to strugle so much as i do.

dont even know if this is the tread for my story, but i am glad i found wp and glad for this tread.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 8:54 am

Havnoy, I hope you can get help and start to feel better understood. I can relate to your issues as I have NLD symptoms and have been tested with a neuropsychology test that showed a large discrepancy between VIQ and PIO. In the past I have read that persons with NLD must get counseling due to their tendency to become suicidal.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 1:07 am

I hate my NVLD. I feel like without it I'd be like, Superman or something. It's really weird because of how envious people can be toward you almost, they see someone who's really smart. Everyone expects so much of you, and you can't deliver because you're just not as smart as people think you are.

I can't really feel good about it, either. I can't rationalize it as "Oh, I'm different, and being different is cool, yay" like I can with Aspergers. I almost feel like whether or not I have Aspergers is totally irrelevant with my NVLD. In my case, I just feel.... broken. I can't see it as anything other than just likely brain damage, not me being a star-child or something like that. I wish I could be oh so happy with "who I am" but who I am is f*****g broken, it's not working right. How are you supposed to be happy with something like that? And nobody else is happy with it either, as I can't hold down school or jobs very well with it either. I can barely drive. But everyone sees it and gives me some damned speech about how I'm not using my potential and have so much to offer society (a society that seems to dislike me very much, too) and I hate it.

Screw NVLD.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 6:04 pm

1000Knives wrote:
I hate my NVLD. I feel like without it I'd be like, Superman or something.

Yeah, I totally know what you mean. I feel the same. I often think about the types of math and physics I'd be able to do if I didn't have NVLD. Would I be some math genius? I know that I have a lot to be thankful for as far as my NVLD goes, since I have been able to overcome or compensate for a lot of my deficits, which I attribute mostly to NVLD not being known about when I was a kid (and having to force myself to learn things). I am very proud to say that, despite my NVLD, I have taken (and passed) calculus, solid-state theory in inorganic chemistry, and organic chemistry. I actually did fairly well with stereochemistry, despite not being able to see basic symmetry or three-dimensionally up until at least the age of 12.

And none of this really comes about from having a relatively high PIQ. Yes, my overall PIQ is 116 (and my overall VIQ is 134, meeting the NVLD gap of 15+ points), but within my subscores, my Vocabulary is 140 and my Perceptual Organization is 105. I have just had to work hard and find memory tricks and recognizable patterns to get me through daily life and visual-spatial coursework. But again, if I didn't have NVLD, I probably would have been gifted in mathematics, too, and that is something I often feel bitter about.

Nash: Is there a difference?

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 7:04 pm

Yes I can relate to what both of you have said, OddDuckNash99 and 1000Knives that NLVD is very frustrating and people do not always understand. I have done well in most of my schooling and in about 8th grade I had a discrepancy in my grades in school which was strange and it included an A in English, a B in History and then a C or D in Math and a C or D in Biology. I was not tested for NLVD since that was not done back then and instead was assigned a math tutor. The tutor told my parents I was intelligent and the tutoring seemed to help and so it must have been the NLVD that made me have trouble. Recently I made an A in a graduate level statistics class and in my graduate level courses I took the first time I went for a master's degree I had a 3.9 gpa.

The social aspects of NLVD are the most disheartening to me as I am a smart person, but I have been told I may not fully understand body language and nonverbal communication. I do feel awkard in social situaitons and have recently survived a bad bout of verbal abuse from a former supervisor. I am not sure whether or not I also have ASD and I feel that I do have it at least mildly.

I do believe that anyone whether or not someone has ASD or NLVD or any learning disorder, a person needs to work in a job that enhances their strengths and that they at least enjoy to some degree.

Last edited by Gazelle on 10 Sep 2012, 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 7:47 pm

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
I hate my NVLD. I feel like without it I'd be like, Superman or something.

Yeah, I totally know what you mean. I feel the same. I often think about the types of math and physics I'd be able to do if I didn't have NVLD. Would I be some math genius? I know that I have a lot to be thankful for as far as my NVLD goes, since I have been able to overcome or compensate for a lot of my deficits, which I attribute mostly to NVLD not being known about when I was a kid (and having to force myself to learn things). I am very proud to say that, despite my NVLD, I have taken (and passed) calculus, solid-state theory in inorganic chemistry, and organic chemistry. I actually did fairly well with stereochemistry, despite not being able to see basic symmetry or three-dimensionally up until at least the age of 12.

And none of this really comes about from having a relatively high PIQ. Yes, my overall PIQ is 116 (and my overall VIQ is 134, meeting the NVLD gap of 15+ points), but within my subscores, my Vocabulary is 140 and my Perceptual Organization is 105. I have just had to work hard and find memory tricks and recognizable patterns to get me through daily life and visual-spatial coursework. But again, if I didn't have NVLD, I probably would have been gifted in mathematics, too, and that is something I often feel bitter about.

I was told my VIQ to PIQ gap is like 130/80. Yay.

For the social aspects, in many ways I'm socially good, just out of sheer brute force outgoingness I use to get things done. Also I might be so socially dumb I don't have social anxiety like, when I should.

AnimalLover101
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Sep 2012, 9:06 pm

Hi,
I am new, I have an NLD that was diagnosed 1 year ago. I believe that that AS and NLD are related, the thing people need to remember that we are all going to be affected by AS and NLD differently. Like before when some one said people with NLD don't fixate on things as much as NLD. I fixate on things a lot and I have NLD. And someone else said how can you have trouble verbalizing things yourself yet prefer to be verbal. The reason is because people with NLD you can't think of stuff off the top of you head and it may take you long to verbalize thoughts, this is usually when I am frustrated or done know how I feel about a something. I know my NLD was caused by a brain injury and some it makes it harder for me to express myself. Other things is that people don't understand that NLD is on the Autism spectrum but it is way out on the high functioning side and the physologial society does not reconize it as a for of AS because they don't know what causes it. BUT they do know that it is an Autism spectrum disorder. My mom works for Educational service unit and works specially w/ kids with Autism, AS, and ASD (NLD). Also it is important to remember the way people are affected by this, what aspects they struggle with symptom wise, and your strenghts and weaknesses all depend on what part of your brain is affected and how it is wired. That is why it is taking scientist so long to figure this connection out because every ones brain is different. I know that I get A in high math and science (honors chemistry and Pre-Calculus) but I struggle with English and history. For some people this may be completely opposite. It all depends on the way a persons brain is wired.

AnimalLover101
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Sep 2012, 9:08 pm

Hi,
I am new, I have an NLD that was diagnosed 1 year ago. I believe that that AS and NLD are related, the thing people need to remember that we are all going to be affected by AS and NLD differently. Like before when some one said people with NLD don't fixate on things as much as NLD. I fixate on things a lot and I have NLD. And someone else said how can you have trouble verbalizing things yourself yet prefer to be verbal. The reason is because people with NLD you can't think of stuff off the top of you head and it may take you long to verbalize thoughts, this is usually when I am frustrated or done know how I feel about a something. I know my NLD was caused by a brain injury and some it makes it harder for me to express myself. Other things is that people don't understand that NLD is on the Autism spectrum but it is way out on the high functioning side and the physologial society does not reconize it as a for of AS because they don't know what causes it. BUT they do know that it is an Autism spectrum disorder. My mom works for Educational service unit and works specially w/ kids with Autism, AS, and ASD (NLD). Also it is important to remember the way people are affected by this, what aspects they struggle with symptom wise, and your strenghts and weaknesses all depend on what part of your brain is affected and how it is wired. That is why it is taking scientist so long to figure this connection out because every ones brain is different. I know that I get A in high math and science (honors chemistry and Pre-Calculus) but I struggle with English and history. For some people this may be completely opposite. It all depends on the way a persons brain is wired.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 6:35 pm

Welcome AnimalLover01 and yes I can relate to struggling socially and sometimes not knowing what to say or not being able to think of something off the top of my head. Something I read lately showed a graph that had autism, ASD, NLD and two other disorders in relation to their functioning level.

Have you been tested for ASD as well as NLD? Do you receive help in your classes since you have been diagnosed with NLD? I am just curious since I was not tested until well past college age.

AnimalLover101
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Oct 2012, 8:44 pm

I was tested and was diagnosed with NLD at the end of my tenth grade year. I am not a senior in high school and do receive help for my NLD. I struggle with it, less. It is not any less frustrating. :x

AnimalLover101
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Oct 2012, 8:44 pm

I was tested and was diagnosed with NLD at the end of my tenth grade year. I am not a senior in high school and do receive help for my NLD. I struggle with it, less. It is not any less frustrating. :x

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 8:43 pm

AnimalLover101 wrote:

Yes I can relate NLD is frustrating that is for sure, and I did not find out until much later in life that I have it.

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

04 Mar 2013, 2:16 am

I have NLD and I'm confused on the difference between AS and NLD. :?