Page 21 of 22 [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 10:55 pm

I have a question for those of you with NLD who have received supports for executive functioning. How do you figure out sequencing when it comes to daily tasks?

I have poor visual working memory and extremely slow visual processing speed. I find multi-step tasks, like cooking or even dressing, very difficult to execute efficiently without making any mistakes. I am prone to forgetting ingredients for cooking or putting on the wrong piece of clothing first. I find I can barely learn from routines and cannot plan on the spot at all. I also tend to go out a lot, have too many friends to keep track of, and underestimate how long things will take me, so I often neglect my academic and chore-related duties at home. I find I go stagnant a lot because I get too distracted to think what I should be doing next.

I find I learn best through auditory verbal information and slightly less so through visual (reading) verbal information. I have "tunnel vision" and am highly visually distractible and overwhelmed, in that only things that are right in my visual field will catch my attention but then I'll overfixate on one part of the visual stimulus and tune out everything else. I was thinking self-talk might be the best solution, but again I tend to focus on one stimulus at a time and will stop talking if I'm trying to process visuals.

Any suggestions? All organizational solutions I've seen require "visual working memory" at least.

P.S. I have a few friends with NVLD who have executive functioning issues and it would be nice to give them some suggestions, too.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Last edited by MathGirl on 24 Oct 2014, 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 11:46 pm

I often wonder whether I have NLD. I score poorly on visual spatial tests, but I don't notice any problems with my visual spatial skills in real life. I never really had any problems with geometry, but I did have trouble memorizing my multiplication tables. I researched more about IQ tests and I found out that anxiety affects visual spatial skills, processing speed and working memory more than verbal skills. That makes sense because those are the areas I did poorly on in my IQ test. I also have a lot of anxiety problems.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 11:52 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
I often wonder whether I have NLD. I score poorly on visual spatial tests, but I don't notice any problems with my visual spatial skills in real life. I never really had any problems with geometry, but I did have trouble memorizing my multiplication tables. I researched more about IQ tests and I found out that anxiety affects visual spatial skills, processing speed and working memory more than verbal skills. That makes sense because those are the areas I did poorly on in my IQ test. I also have a lot of anxiety problems.
If you don't notice NLD affecting you in real life, then you most likely don't have it and it was likely just your anxiety affecting the IQ performance...

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 12:03 pm

My NLD is killing me. HOW DO I DO ESSAY QUESTIONS? Somebody please help me. The teachers don't understand, and I'm going to fail both of my classes if I can't figure out how to do these. I study so much, but when an essay question comes up, I forget everything that I studied. I am so frustrated and want to cry. The notes for my teachers written by my psychologist say to refrain from giving me essays, and I've talked to the teachers, but they still give me essays and subsequently fail me. I don't know what to do anymore.

Devon80
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Feb 2016, 8:34 pm

I was diagnosed with NLD when I was 17 (I'm 35 now). Last summer, after years of dealing with anxiety and depression I decided to get retested by a neuropsychologist. Sure enough,I was once again diagnosed with NLD. I've really been struggling with the diagnosis. More specifically, I've been struggling with the full scale IQ that was calculated during my evaluation. My full scale IQ is 80.The first time I was tested the full scale IQ was not calculated. I have a bachelor's degree in English Literature and a masters degree in Library and Information Science. The full scale IQ was quite jarring.
A little background on my evaluation:
Verbal Comprehension Index: 105 ( My arithmetic subset was 5 and reading comprehension was not tested. This along with the extreme anxiety I felt during testing brought down a section of the test I should have excelled in).
Perceptual Index: 69
Working Memory: 77
Processing Speed: 79

I've always been abysmal at math. I struggle with certain aspects of abstract reasoning. I'm excelled at reading comprehension. I love to analyze literature.

I feel like a fraud. I've always been considered very intelligent. A full scale IQ of 80 Indicates otherwise. I've always done very well academically. How can a person with an 80 IQ have multiple degrees?
Currently, I'm unemployed and seeking a position as an archivist. I obtained my masters degree in 2012 (with several archival internships under my belt). Post graduation, I worked as a project archivist for a year. Unfortunately, the work was unpaid.
I have yet to find paid work in my field. I've had several interviews but I can never make it to the second round of interviews. My severe anxiety gets in the way.
I've been in therapy for several months trying to deal with everything. I was recently diagnosed with agoraphobia and chronic depression. So in addition to having NLD I also have agoraphobia and chronic depression. Swell.
I've read that NLD and Aspergers are virtually the same thing. There does seem to be allot of overlap between the two conditions. In fact, when I decided to get retested I wanted to see if I perhaps had Aspergers instead of NLD.
Does anyone else have a low full scale IQ and multiple college degrees? Can a poor processing speed and working memory bring down a persons verbal and perceptual index as well as the full scale IQ? I would love to hear from anyone who has had similar experiences.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 9:12 pm

I'm way younger than you, but I have a similar experience. I've always been told I'm intelligent, but my full scale IQ is only 87. When I took the IQ test my verbal IQ was 113, my perceptual index was 87 and my processing speed and short term memory was somewhere in the 70s range.

I don't even notice visual spatial issues in real life. I believe anxiety, brain fog and bad short term memory brought down my score a lot. I think the only reason my verbal IQ was that high is because I spend all day reading. I read studies that anxiety affects nonverbal intelligence and short term memory way more than verbal intelligence. It's possible for people with anxiety to get NVLD-like IQs without having NVLD. I think it happened to me because I've always been good at stuff like geometry and art.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 9:14 pm

Grammar Geek wrote:
My NLD is killing me. HOW DO I DO ESSAY QUESTIONS? Somebody please help me. The teachers don't understand, and I'm going to fail both of my classes if I can't figure out how to do these. I study so much, but when an essay question comes up, I forget everything that I studied. I am so frustrated and want to cry. The notes for my teachers written by my psychologist say to refrain from giving me essays, and I've talked to the teachers, but they still give me essays and subsequently fail me. I don't know what to do anymore.

Have you tried listening to YouTube videos related to the essay questions? I don't really have NVLD, but I find that helps me when I get stuck on essays.

drut
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Feb 2016, 8:48 am

I got diagnosed in my fifties after another job failure. Other than knowing what it is that's been causing me to be a failure almost all the time, and the combined anxiety, I cannot find a therapist worth a flip. They've all heard of it, but are clueless in how to treat it. Very frustrating.

Devon80
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Feb 2016, 4:51 pm

According to Inderbir Kaur Sandhu, Ph.D

Usually when a discrepancy of at least 12 points is found between the VIQ & PIQ, the Full Scale IQ score should be interpreted cautiously. Even though the verbal-performance discrepancy is not used to directly diagnose a learning disability, it is like a red flag – it alert parents and teachers to the child's strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, a full analysis of the individual subtests that comprise each score should be looked at and if scatter is very large, it warrants further investigation.

Research has indicated that a discrepancy towards verbal (VIQ > PIQ) has also been linked with Asperger's syndrome but not with other pervasive developmental disorders. Relatively low VIQ has been considered an indicator of dyslexia and relatively low PIQ of dyspraxia. Studies have also suggested that hyperactivity in children is associated with relatively low performance IQ. In more recent studies, it is found that there is a high degree of individual and familial comorbidity between these three disorders.

My psychologist said the same thing. When there's such a discrepancy between the VIQ & PIQ it is very difficult to accurately determine the Full Scale IQ. I completely understand what he's saying. However, I still can't seem to get past the 80 full scale IQ. Based on the Barona Equation ( which uses demographics and education to predict IQ) my IQ should be 117. My psychologist recently diagnosed me with agoraphobia, dysthymia (chronic depression) and dyspraxia. All coexisting with my NLD.

drut
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Feb 2016, 6:50 pm

The difference between mine is 48 points. The more points the more screwed?

Devon80
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Feb 2016, 8:12 pm

The difference between by VIQ and PIQ is 36 points.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 3:15 pm

I'm not diagnosed with either ASD or NVLD. I seem to have ASD traits but think I fit NVLD better.

Social interaction problems.

Have difficulty with small talk and initiating conversations.

Only couple of friends in 3D over 55 years

Much better verbally than non-verbally/spatially

Not good at constructional tasks. Can't do jigsaws meant for children.

Started doing well academically but gradual decline starting at 9.5

Had to have handwriting lessons.

Bad at sports especially gymnastics.

Have difficulty when it comes to organising and planning(Executive functioning deficits)

Messy and untidy

Poor sense of direction

Not good in crowds as difficulty judging distances and get overwhelmed by the toing and froing

Poor? balance was nearly 14 before i managed to ride a bike.

Poor drawing skills.

Struggle with change.

General anxiety

social anxiety

depression

mood swings

paranoid thinking

GrandFunk
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jan 2018, 12:30 pm

I wonder why this thread died?

I made a few posts years ago. I just came back and read the thread again and found it interesting and helpful.

I'm 71 now. I was really lucky all my life and managed to find jobs, survive and have been happily retired since age 60.

I was never cut out for this world and certainly not for the working world, but I survived by faking a lot of things and excelling at a few......which is incredibly painful, stressful and exhausting.

So happy in retirement. I never should have been required to work.

My formula for the working world........if you can fake a lot of things and excel at a few......you may survive (but it has a cost).

Alexinwonderland
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jan 2018, 9:16 pm

I was diagnosed with NLD and I fit the criteria perfectly, such as bring rubbish at maths, poor motor skills and co ordination, sense of direction, depression and anxiety. However, unlike most of those with NLD I had speech therapy as a child and I am not an auditory person at all apart from the fact i love music and i can memorise lyrics but I struggle to take in verbal information and instructions. So I don't know whether NLD and AS are just the same thing or I have both conditions?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2018, 6:09 am

The standard belief is that those with NLD are much better verbally than non verbally. I wonder how many like me however have difficulty taking in spoken information and instructions. This is a test of how fast you can process spoken information http://fastlistener.labinthewild.org/

My listening rate is 14/100 which is equal to 11% of the population.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2018, 9:48 pm

firemonkey wrote:
The standard belief is that those with NLD are much better verbally than non verbally. I wonder how many like me however have difficulty taking in spoken information and instructions.

I know I have some noticeable difficulty understanding everyday speech and multi-step instructions. I got 43/100.