Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

cdc2001c
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Dec 2008, 12:32 am

I do this, I try to keep it all internal, but sometimes it slips out when I am around people and I may not realize it. I am having this deep internal monologue with myself and it just sometimes comes out loud.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 2:06 am

i do that sometimes

ReGiFroFoLa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2008, 2:53 am

Yeh I do it. It's neither conversation with some imaginary people, nor a monologue... I speak with myself; and I hear myself responding to my questions... It's only from the inside, within my mind - the answerts, but I ask and spek at loud (most of the times I do it when no one's around, however it also happenes on the streets with people around... How weird do I seem to them than?)

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 7:14 am

I do, and some do find it strange. I fix computers, so first I ask the person, and in the same form, then ask the machine. If the person knew, they would fix it, the machine always knows.
Why are you not working? How can I help?

To me it is my relationship with the task, and it is not "Just fix it!" It is fix what is not working.

I do talk to myself at other times, as I explore the meaning of things, and how my reaction can change them.

I also write, and one situation will have three reactions from three characters.

Many a long solo speech in plays, pacing and museing.

Standup comedy is a monologue, people pay to watch someone speak to themselves.

It is one of the arts.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 7:19 am

I do this all the time when I'm by myself. I can get so far into my conversations, that I literally have forgotten exactly where I was (usually just my room though).

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 10:30 am

Quote:
I'm not schizophrenic, and neither am I.

Sorry to ruin your joke, but I think that this phrase is more suited to people with Multiple personality disorder rather than Schizophrenia! They don't think they are two people...

Onto the main subject, I don't know what it is called, however I do know that it is part of having AS/autism. I have read a load of books about AS/autism and this comes up in quite a few of them, especially Tony Attwood's books. I do it too and I have also been told that it is 'the first sign of madness'! I just do it to remember stuff! I have terrible short term memory!

ericksonlk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Dec 2008, 10:49 am

I talk to myself and I know that this happens more often when I'm tired or when I have difficulty to focus. Talking about what I'm doing, or need to do, stressing the steps I need to follow makes all easy to get through my job. Don't know what others may thing, don't care actually.

greengeek
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2008, 6:26 pm

It's called stream of conciousness thinking. Aspies do it out loud instead of in their head like NTs. Wear a bluetooth wireless ear piece in your ear and no one will know. :lol:

ericksonlk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Dec 2008, 6:31 pm

greengeek wrote:
It's called stream of conciousness thinking. Aspies do it out loud instead of in their head like NTs. Wear a bluetooth wireless ear piece in your ear and no one will know. :lol:

why use a headset should help? I didn't get it, please explain? Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: ten minutes latter... oh boy, I got it... good idea :oops:

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 8:04 pm

In the movies, the guy is cutting wires on a ticking bomb, he is always taking to himself.

Talking to yourself is the first sign of madness, Check, now what is the second, I am ready!

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Dec 2008, 2:03 pm

Haliphron wrote:

Great information at that site. Thanks Haliphron. I had to pull myself away and bookmark it for further reading later.

And yes, I talk to myself out loud, sometimes forgetting others are around. But I have almost a constant inner dialogue (I don't call it a monologue because I act in two parts as observer and observed, or speaker and listener) with myself going on at all times unless I'm doing something that requires extreme focus or concentration, although this activity itself requires extreme focus. I also talk out loud, posture and pace when I am working on a writing project, visualizing what characters would say and do in a fictional situation.

sillyputty
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 2:36 pm

That's okay, Jellybean. You can't ruin an already bad joke :lol: .

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 4:33 pm

Haliphron wrote:
Is there an official psychiatric/pscyhological term for talking to
yourself out loud? I do know that its not uncommon for
schizophrenics to have dialogs with people who arent there. I do it
and I do it alot but with me its always a monologue rather than a
dialogue and if someone approaches me or says something I
immediately stop. In a nutshell, I tend to think out loud and thats
what Im doing when I talk to myself in public. :P

Yeah, that's what I do: I think out loud, but people think I'm crazy because of it. Sometimes I think they're right... Eh, I don't know. I just say stuff to myself like 'Hmmm, this seems kind of dumb' or something when I see something dumb for example... I dunno if that's crazy...

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 11:05 am

I do it all the time. If anyone calls me mad for it... Well, they're probably right :P