Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 1:21 pm

Anyone know if their have been any studies on how sensory issues can shift with age? How likely is it that sensory issues peek during the teen years/puberty and hormonal settling and calm down afterwards?

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 3:26 pm

I don't know about any studies in this area. Perhaps others do though. However, I don't think that my sensory issues have changed much in the last 50 years. I am still acutely aware of smells, sounds and light. For example, the smell of certain foods that many people seem to like can be enough to cause me to gag and worse. This hasn't changed in all of these years. The same goes for loud sounds and bright light.

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 11:24 pm

There may be a few that have increased or decreased in intensity with time - but except when stress pushes everything into the open it has been pretty much constant since 1952.

I do not count things where I did not encounter the stimulus until 1990 or things that I only in the past few years realized were not normal.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 2:59 pm

I've been wondering if sensory issues shift with age because I was highly sensitive when I was young, calmed down in elementary school & started spiking in middle school than REALLY spiked during high school. My first year of college felt like a neurological shift where I was "shaking off trauma" from high school.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 3:02 pm

I'm in my 40s and mine have been constant ever since I was a little kid (since I can remember) with periods of 1 to 7 days where they just go freaking haywire and everything drives me batsh*t. No diminishing with time or age...I *wish*.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu