21 Dec 2008, 5:30 pm

Here is the test!
http://www.questionwriter.com/samples/eyesquiz/
My score was 26

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 5:45 pm

23. No clue how I scored so well. I had to guess on most of them, based on whether I had a generally positive or negative impression from the eyes.

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2008, 5:50 pm

30. Wow, I'm amazed. I'm face-blind as can be, yet I didn't seem to have a hard time with just the eyes like that. I guess maybe because I didn't have to filter them out from the rest of the face. But still, that's quite a surprise to me - I was certain I'd do worse.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 6:00 pm

29. I didn't look at the eyes so much as the brows, lashes, focus, etc. Comes from a lot of practice. Some of the eyes looked the same to me, tho...

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 6:03 pm

21. I guessed on nearly every one of them, and I didn`t think any of the answers fit on a lot of them...

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 6:13 pm

I got a 28. I've never been tested for AS, and reading faces isn't something that I feel like I have difficulty with. There are other characteristics of AS which are much more strongly "me". I can read faces, and then I wonder why the person is looking/feeling that way.

I don't much care for this kind of test, though. For one thing, these are obviously actors. So whatever they are feeling, they are acting, and some actors are better than others. For many if not most of them, the ego is always there. The actresses in those older movies were almost always supposed to be sexy and seductive at all time, on top of whatever other emotion they were portraying, and that makes things confusing. Anyway, these aren't people in real settings, but on a movie set, acting. Also, we're looking at still images, and just the eyes.

raggle-taggle-gypsy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2008, 6:15 pm

I don't think I have problems reading peoples' facial expressions. How prevailant are problems with face reading among aspies?

in the arms of me raggle taggle gypsy-o

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 6:21 pm

...but in real life you don't get to study people's eyes for as long as you like, you have to do it instantly, i wonder how people would rate if you got 2 seconds to make a decision about someone's expression.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 6:25 pm

23. when there is no distraction it's a piece of cake.

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Dec 2008, 6:42 pm

28 Aspies may not be able to read body language but we can read eyes.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 7:03 pm

I got a stronger read as per what the people in the pictures were like, in general, than I did regarding what particular emotional state that each was trying to project in the photo.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 7:13 pm

I think I would have a lower score if the eyes were combined with audio clips if I were also asked comprehension questions about what the person was saying.

Has anybody seen a test like that? Because I seriously think it's not actually reading emotion in people's eyes that's the problem, but reading it at the same time as listening to what they're saying. I think I don't shift attention quickly enough from visual to verbal modes. I wish there were a way to determine whether that's the case.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2008, 7:14 pm

23. (couldn't think of anything to say)

ike
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 7:17 pm

I was really surprised that I got 30 on that test... Either it was a fluke or I'm somehow a lot better at judging people's feelings by just the eyes than when I have lots of extra information to work with. The extra info may just confuse me.

elderwanda wrote:
I don't much care for this kind of test, though. For one thing, these are obviously actors. So whatever they are feeling, they are acting, and some actors are better than others. For many if not most of them, the ego is always there. The actresses in those older movies were almost always supposed to be sexy and seductive at all time, on top of whatever other emotion they were portraying, and that makes things confusing. Anyway, these aren't people in real settings, but on a movie set, acting. Also, we're looking at still images, and just the eyes.

My guess as to the way this test was created. Yes these are actors, however, I'm seeing the test being done in two passes. The first pass they ask people to write down a word, instead of asking multiple choice. This first pass is not for the purpose of testing people's ability to judge, it's for determining what the average response is on each individual image, which is different than the average response for the test as a whole. Then they drop out any specific images for which the responses aren't predictable enough to produce a common answer and that gives them the set they use for the actual test.

So at that point in theory the fact that they are acting shouldn't make as much difference, because your answer is being compared to the original set of unrestrained answers from the first pass -- in other words, what the average person thinks the eyes are saying, not what the experimenter asked the actor to create. The final score would be a measure of how often your answer matches the average person's answer. The reason why the average NT's total score is 26 is because there's a certain amount of variance across the set of images, as opposed to on a specific image. IoW the average person will produce a non-average response on slightly less than 1/3rd of the images (which specific images vary). So a person who gets a really high score in theory is really good at judging how the average NT will judge each image in the set.

I also felt like I was guessing on a lot of them or that none of the answers were a good fit. And I also used the angle of the face, height of the lids or eyebrows, etc as the majority of my information. The eyeballs themselves don't really say much imo.

DWill
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2008, 7:28 pm

22, looks like I fit right in the average. A lot of them I had no idea or had an original impression that was completely opposite from the choices listed.

d0ds0t
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2008, 7:29 pm

I scored 24.