Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2008, 7:29 pm

I scored 24.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 7:35 pm

every one i hear of scores high in this test - even when they are on the spectrum. i think it is actually really silly. but am glad it got posted up. I can read faces exceptionally well in isolation . if that is all i have to foucs on, then i am absolutely fine and dandy and impeccable at it. i think that has alot ot do with my visual acuity which is fairly pronounced. i have also taught myself to do so.

- but if you mix it up with talking and noise and a host of other normal day to day issues, i cannot follow face properly or clearly. I always just think everyone is angry even when they are smiling. I somehow suspect this is the case for many aspies and it not taken into consideration. If they put sound to it or if they had some other sensory stuff going on, i think then one would get a far lower score amongst aspies than NT's.

and what does one expect? it's baron-cohen's test and he can be pretty narrow regarding what AS actually is.

raggle-taggle-gypsy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2008, 7:49 pm

millie wrote:
it's baron-cohen's test and he can be pretty narrow regarding what AS actually is.

Tell me more. I scored 35 on a test he developed for spotting aspergers. There was a lot of ambiguity in it though.

in the arms of me raggle taggle gypsy-o

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 7:52 pm

I hate this stupid test thing. For some pictures I do not know, but in every single instance, (including a couple where I thought I knew or at least had the broad category correct) the answers are not even remotely along the lines I was thinking.

It makes me feel frustrated.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 7:55 pm

from what i can gather and what anemone was saying in another thread a while back -he focuses a lot on the systematising thing - and in fact not all people with AS have this. Also, every time we get segments of baron-cohen's views about AS on the television here in Australia - he seems to push the kind of "geek syndrome" definition of AS. and we are learning it is so much more than that. There are those of us who show very little interest in math and also systematising at all. at all - and tend towards other kinds of traits.

i am not a science typed person. but i prefer what lorna wing and tony attwood and even gillberg say about AS.

mystyc
Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2008, 8:01 pm

I wish life were a multiple choice test.

"Is this person,
A. Horrifed
B. Annoyed
C. Hostile
D. Or simply preoccupied"

[note: not direct quote. exaggerated.]

*sigh*

This test might be more affective if you had all 36 faces at once and 144 thoughts or feelings you had to match (where only 1/4 matched with anything).

MOA
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Dec 2008, 8:21 pm

pandd wrote:
I hate this stupid test thing. For some pictures I do not know, but in every single instance, (including a couple where I thought I knew or at least had the broad category correct) the answers are not even remotely along the lines I was thinking.

It makes me feel frustrated.

Interestingly, I do not have AS (my son does) and I felt frustrated with some of the choices so I relied on clues like furrowed brows and such. When my son was little they had started this computer program for teaching AS kids to recognize emotions through showing them photographs of faces sort of like this test. It did help him detect when I was ready to go on a rampage when I nearly killed myself stepping on his Legos with my bare feet or when I was sad or sick. Once when I was vomiting from a migraine, he asked me, "Mommy, do you need a band-aid for your mouth?" I melted.

Oh, I got a 32. I attribute that to some training for being a counselor in a master's program because we had to learn to read faces in that program.

SigS
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Dec 2008, 9:18 pm

why does it ask for a subject? I'm posting a reply. WTH?

I got a 20. Most of the eyes, didn't have matches for what I thought they were. There was eye makeup on most of the girls which threw me off because eye makeup makes one look seductive even though she's feeling something else.

that was one freaking frustrating test!! ! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 10:24 pm

I’ve done this test before but I'm bored so I just did it again. I got 34 :D. I think I got 29'ish the first time I took it. The first time is probably more accurate.

Being on the autism spectrum doesn't always imply non-verbal learning disorder. For me it's interpreting all the different kinds of communication at the same time that’s problematic. I can think, I can talk, and I can interpret non-verbal cues. I just can't do all three of these tasks at once or switch between them in rapid succession.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 3:03 am

I got a 23. I felt like I was taking wild guesses sometimes. It makes me wonder how much I misinterpret people. :oops:

-Pythagoras

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 3:12 am

25, here.

It's easy to read eyes when they are removed from a living person in a fluid, real-time social environment. Much more difficult when I am choked up by anxiety and can't even look a real person in the eyes to attempt to read them.

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 4:56 am

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 7:22 am

I just got 15 because I would not have a clue how the read people's emotions with their eyes. I am much better with expression involving the mouth such as smiling and frowning.

ducasse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2008, 7:32 am

wow, i got 33. though i did the test before & got much worse than that. now if only people listed 4 possible emotions on their shirts each time they made a face.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 7:57 am

25. I never can read a persons eyes in real life because I think I simply don't spend that much time reading body language. Who can think of that stuff when you are trying to come up with things to say?

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2008, 8:07 am

I felt like I was guessing many of them, but some of them did feel quite obvious. My score was 29. I don't really observe peoples facial expressions, and I never look at their face in a conversation. I used to watch a lot of television though, and I've watched a decent bit of anime too. Perhaps I've learned something, or I got lucky guesses.

Edit - I'd like to note that even if I did look at facial expressions, I probably wouldn't interpret them or be able to interpret them without a multiple choices attached to their face.