Page 3 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

22 Dec 2008, 5:54 pm

19. :oops:

Those eyes all looked the same except different faces and the directions of them.

22 Dec 2008, 6:04 pm

My bf got 16. I feel better now. :P

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 6:20 pm

millie wrote:
thanks for explaining that, ephemerella. :wink: it's interesting to learn.

My writing is improving, I think, and becoming more context-appropriate. Thank you for the feedback, millie.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 6:22 pm

ephemerella wrote:
That is why the initial flash of emotional impression on seeing the eyes is the more accurate one. If you stare at the eye images for any length of time, ignoring that first flash, your score goes down.

I think it was totally the opposite for me, though. With many of them, I didn´t see much of anything until I looked longer, and then I was able to pick out little things. My original "flash" with some of them was total cluelessness.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 6:25 pm

Morgana wrote:
ephemerella wrote:
That is why the initial flash of emotional impression on seeing the eyes is the more accurate one. If you stare at the eye images for any length of time, ignoring that first flash, your score goes down.

I think it was totally the opposite for me, though. With many of them, I didn´t see much of anything until I looked longer, and then I was able to pick out little things. My original "flash" with some of them was total cluelessness.

I saw your post, and noticed that. It doesn't surprise me that you did it the other way, on account of your being so cultured. With your theater and other interests, you can have real knowledge depth in the subject area of human expression.

That's what I thought when I saw your post, that you were maybe applying knowledge and not instinct.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 6:36 pm

27. I would've done a lot worse in real life; where you don't get 10 seconds to study each expression.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 6:54 pm

I got an 18....is that bad? 8O :oops:

I suck.

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 7:01 pm

I got a 29, but I feel similar to Who_Am_I. I was analyzing it a lot, trying to figure out what the rest of their face would look like, what they could be looking at, when I might look like that, etc.

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Dec 2008, 9:22 pm

i got 15. i dont understand facial expressions though.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 11:44 pm

I got a 21. But I didn't know the definitions of some the words and was too lazy to look them up until halfway through the test. I think it would have been easier if they showed a word and four sets of eyes, but that wouldn't be realistic.

I don't make eye contact often when interacting with people, but I look at the mouths all the time (that's where the noise comes out). Sometimes I don't understand what people are saying unless I can see their lips. With the help of socially intelligent people, I've learned to read other forms of body language, but I never attempted eyes (like when people shake their leg that doesn't seem to be a nervous tick is usually a sign that they don't want to be where they are, or they got to use the bathroom which is still the same thing I guess).

Do animals communicate with their eyes at all?

Oh, I do remember reading about which direction a person usually looks and what side of the brain the person is dominant with teachers especially. I can't remember if it's a match or the opposite, but I remember like right brained people seem to use their left side of the body more, but I can't remember if there's a cut off point like use right eye but left hand. I also guess there's something if a person looks one way when asked a question (again, I think the direction would match whatever is right brained, and it only has to be for the second before they look you in the eye supposedly), they are using the creative side of their brain and is more likely to be lying and it is expected that a person telling the truth would look in the opposite direction because that's the analytical side. I also don't know if it's their left or mine as well.

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Dec 2008, 7:38 am

I got 26.

But I pretty much had to guess on all of them, because not once did I think the faces looked like what the options were.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 4:12 pm

ephemerella wrote:
Morgana wrote:
ephemerella wrote:

I saw your post, and noticed that. It doesn't surprise me that you did it the other way, on account of your being so cultured. With your theater and other interests, you can have real knowledge depth in the subject area of human expression.

That's what I thought when I saw your post, that you were maybe applying knowledge and not instinct.

Yes, I think I was applying knowledge and not instinct most of the time: although, a couple of the faces did seem clear to me quite quickly. These were mostly the ones with bigger expressions, or where more of the face was shown. (I don´t have trouble with bigger expressions). As a few people mentioned, it is kind of weird that they use this test to try to spot AS...(in adults too?) I mean, I got a large part of my answers due to the process of elimination, and it worked pretty well obviously...(example: a) shocked- "no, that face probably isn´t shocked, as shock is a direct, strong emotion, and the eyes are turned away from the camera." b) scared- "same as a, and besides, the eyes aren´t opened wide" c) pensive- "yeah, maybe pensive, as the gaze is away from the camera, indirect, etc.")

My score- (and many others, too) seems to be in the NT range. Of course, as I am undiagnosed, someone could argue that I am NT....which makes me awfully skeptical about this whole diagnostic process anyway then.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 4:27 pm

Another thought....(this is an interesting subject!)

When I interact with people, even though I am able nowadays to look people in the eye- I realize I do it, in a way, more for them than I do for me! I have learned that most people want you to look directly at them, and since I have been able to do it, people treat me better than when I don´t look at them. However, in looking at them, I rarely see anything (expression wise) in the eyes, unless it´s quite big (like sudden shock). I rely much more often on other clues, like what the mouth is doing, or furrows in the brow, etc. So this eye test is kind of interesting...the eyes alone are kind of hard for me, if it´s a more subtle expression.

However, in terms of acting for the theater, I can always tell if someone is acting with "frozen" eyes, or if the acting is superficial and not genuine. Why is that, I wonder? Once again, I seem to be a mass of contradictions....

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 4:37 pm

MOA wrote:

You bring out the biggest difficulty for Aspies (as I understand it from my AS son)--while NTs typically don't have to think too much about reading the body language or what to say for that matter, Aspies do. I imagine it to be like a first time visitor to New York trying to catch a subway train. By the time he/she figures out how to catch it, it's already gone. Is this correct from your perspective?

I don´t know if anyone answered your question yet, but that is often how it feels from my perspective, particularly with less straightforward interactions. For instance, if a man starts to suddenly flirt with me, by the time I figure out what he said, wonder if he was flirting- (sometimes I´m not sure)- think about what to say, wonder how direct or indirect I´m supposed to be....well, needless to say, the moment is gone. So I end up saying nothing. I wish I could just rewind everything, like I do sometimes when watching films.

1Oryx2
Toucan
Toucan

23 Dec 2008, 5:08 pm

I got twenty seven...dunno how that happened. Mostly I was just guessing so I'm pretty sure this was dumb luck. So I tried again and got 25 wich I think is more accurite.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Dec 2008, 5:36 pm

Quote:
I got a large part of my answers due to the process of elimination

That is why I said I probably couldn't interpret them. I posted earlier with my score of 29, but I felt as if i was guessing a lot of them. Some were very obvious, provided I had the right answer in front of me, and I didn't have to FIND it.

This test needs to have you type the answer out. It could use a thesaurus to match any similar words that represent the correct answer. It's just far too easy to guess them with elimination of incorrect answers.