Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Dec 2008, 10:16 am

sbcmetroguy wrote:
Yes, I've always sneezed at the sun. I actually thought everyone did it, to be honest. But I do doubt there's a connection between it and AS.

Never say never, I have heard that some aspies are sensetive to strong light. As the starter of this thread said, it's basicly oversimulation of the optic nerve that make this happen. Reminds me of a person I saw in the city once; he stood in the middle a public square, lots of people around him, he was standing in an odd posture looking at the sun, before he had a series of sneezes. Then he walked away like nothing had happened

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 11:30 am

mosez wrote:
sbcmetroguy wrote:
Yes, I've always sneezed at the sun. I actually thought everyone did it, to be honest. But I do doubt there's a connection between it and AS.

Never say never, I have heard that some aspies are sensetive to strong light. As the starter of this thread said, it's basicly oversimulation of the optic nerve that make this happen. Reminds me of a person I saw in the city once; he stood in the middle a public square, lots of people around him, he was standing in an odd posture looking at the sun, before he had a series of sneezes. Then he walked away like nothing had happened

Yeah I mean, I can't say that for sure. But the reasoning behind my thought was that, if 25% of the population is sensitive to the sun's light to the point of sneezing, and only 0.06% (or whatever the number is) of the population have AS, then I don't see a connection.

Does this reasoning make sense to anyone but me? :lol: I'm accustomed to not being understood, so it wouldn't surprise me if no one here understands me either.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Dec 2008, 11:41 am

sbcmetroguy wrote:
mosez wrote:
sbcmetroguy wrote:

Yeah I mean, I can't say that for sure. But the reasoning behind my thought was that, if 25% of the population is sensitive to the sun's light to the point of sneezing, and only 0.06% (or whatever the number is) of the population have AS, then I don't see a connection.

Does this reasoning make sense to anyone but me? :lol: I'm accustomed to not being understood, so it wouldn't surprise me if no one here understands me either.

Well, yes It's a perfectly sound assumtion. We are all humans, and I guess AS and NT's share many issues. The math in this is perfectly clear, so I assume you are right. But maybe aspies sneeze a little bit easier.. Just joking, trying to win the debate. As I said you are probably right

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 11:45 am

That's interesting and kind of cool. I sneeze when I pluck my eyebrows. Trade eyebrows for sun.

Badaspie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Dec 2008, 11:58 am

I highly suspect there's a link.

We have a higher sensitivity to just about every sense and especially light. Higher sensitivity to light would be probable cause for a reaction.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 12:11 pm

Do I sneeze at the sun?

If a sneeze is too slow coming on, I look at a bright light to make it happen.

Flash bulbs and strobes sometimes trigger a sneeze.

I've been known to bark and howl at the moon, as well... :wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 12:46 pm

I do.

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

23 Dec 2008, 1:16 pm

I also sneeze while looking at the sun. 8O

Odd_Duck
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Dec 2008, 1:41 pm

Yup. Pretty much any bright light, not just the sun.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 1:55 pm

I do too, and like may others, I also didn't realize everyone else didn't until a later age. I don't know about bright lights as much as the sun. Actually, I can't drive well if the sun is bright in my face because I keep sneezing, but I can't seem to keep a decent pair of sunglasses longer than a day at a time (they either break or get lost soon after purchase).

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 2:06 pm

mosez wrote:
sbcmetroguy wrote:
mosez wrote:
sbcmetroguy wrote:

Well, yes It's a perfectly sound assumtion. We are all humans, and I guess AS and NT's share many issues. The math in this is perfectly clear, so I assume you are right. But maybe aspies sneeze a little bit easier.. Just joking, trying to win the debate. As I said you are probably right

Although, the rate could still be higher in the autistic genome.

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 2:18 pm

I've vaguely heard about it and I got the impression everyone had it. Except I don't.

A new thing learned, I suppose.

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 9:34 pm

Thank you all for the great responses. And I am glad to see that some people learned new things. I suppose that was my goal. You all help me to understand my weird self. :)

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 9:53 pm

I don't do this.
However, this is from the article on the phenomenon:

Quote:
In addition this sneeze reflex can be brought on by a sudden inhaling of cold air or a strong flavor such as a strong mint gum. This implies an overstimulation of any nerve close to the trigeminal nerve can cause the sneeze reflex.
[/quote]

Anything mint flavoured makes me sneeze, does this happen to anyone else here?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Moop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Right here! Ya! Right behind the monitors glass! Get me out of here!

23 Dec 2008, 10:14 pm

I thought everyone did this.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 10:17 pm

Sneezing at the sun? That's silly...