How many out there are girls? 44%  44%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 61

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 9:57 am

AmberEyes wrote:
DeLoreanDude wrote:
Or maybe female brains are just better at constructing networks?

I am yet to meet a female who can network better than I can. Oh, wait, you were talking social networking... When it comes to computers though... But for the social, shoot me now, I won't ever be able to build a really good network.

Jwa
Raven
Raven

25 Jan 2009, 12:22 pm

Female here. But I am very mild. Or is that because I am female and as suggested by other posters, hence better at faking! :wink: Sorry, that was too tempting not to! :)

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 12:32 pm

Saerain wrote:
Males are encouraged to be very uniform, so it's more obvious when someone is abnormal. Females are encouraged to be more individualized, so much like many other matters of behavior, AS probably goes undiagnosed extremely often..

What gives you this impression? My understanding is that the exact opposite is more the case. Men are more encouraged to stand out and display their strong traits, women are usually more in the background. Men talk more than women in mixed company, they get noticed more, they have most of the top jobs. If anything, women and girls with AS are underdiagnosed simply because their symptomatic traits are being ignored.

That said, I don't believe that difference is presently dramatic enough to account for so many more men being diagnosed than women. It seems the cause of the uneven spread is not entirely understood.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2009, 12:43 pm

I'm male, yes. But I don't think you can draw any conclusions from this poll. I have made a few polls, and the readers are far more than those who actually bothers to vote, or submit a post on any topic.
Good luck, though

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 12:55 pm

I went to a Tony Attwood seminar where he said the ratio of males to females in the boys and girls that are DXed these days is 50/50. He said it was because the female presents differently for Asperger's Syndrome.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 1:06 pm

Wow, I was gonna start a thread about this but someone beat me to it :lol: . Ive been to Aspie support groups IRL and There were NEVER more than 3 gals there and each one had @least 10 guys. While there certainly doesnt seem to be any shortage of women here on WP and other Aspie online communities. It definitely appears that Aspie women are pretty rare IRL. I have met several guys who have aspie-like traits but there's only 1 woman Ive EVER met by chance with Aspergers. It does appear that many aspie women dont use online dating or social networking sites IME. So as far as real life is concerned, I dunno what to make of it.......... :?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 1:14 pm

at that same Attwood seminar, I looked into the crowd of about 250 people during the breaks for those not socializing. I saw a young woman reading her book and slid into the empty chair next to her and introduced myself as an Aspie. She said "how did you know I was too?" and I pulled out MY book (for reading in the breaks) and smiled. She smiled, too, and I excused myself and went looking for more.

Look for people quietly doing their own thing among the gabblers, yakkers and backslappers.

Merle

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 1:21 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
at that same Attwood seminar, I looked into the crowd of about 250 people during the breaks for those not socializing. I saw a young woman reading her book and slid into the empty chair next to her and introduced myself as an Aspie. She said "how did you know I was too?" and I pulled out MY book (for reading in the breaks) and smiled. She smiled, too, and I excused myself and went looking for more.

Look for people quietly doing their own thing among the gabblers, yakkers and backslappers.

Merle

Well, since it was an Attwood seminar(about AS/HFA I presume) than it should come as no suprise that the woman you introduced yourself to was an Aspie :lol: . But in general, ya cant judge a book by its cover. Visual 1st impressions of people can be deceptive. I would know since people who see me often make judgements about me which are WAAAAY off the mark. I wonder how that woman wouldve reacted if a guy at the seminar had done what you did. Someone sitting alone doing her own thing is NOT by any means an indication of (mental)abnormality, particularly asperger syndrome. I personally run into A LOT more bipolar women than any other mental anomaly.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 1:53 pm

Haliphron wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

Merle

I wonder how that woman wouldve reacted if a guy at the seminar had done what you did. Someone sitting alone doing her own thing is NOT by any means an indication of (mental)abnormality, particularly asperger syndrome. I personally run into A LOT more bipolar women than any other mental anomaly.

abnormality? since AS is my 'normal' I guess it never occurred to me. I did approach an older guy at that same seminar and his mother came roaring out of the crowd and interrupted him and me speaking to introduce herself and pretty much demand to know why I was speaking to her son. I simply told her I was an Aspie and was meeting others here at the seminar. She proceeded to stand in front of her son and let me know that he was not interested in meeting women there, or anywhere else. I beat it, fast, when she turned to her son for affirmation of that last statement. (sheesh! I am an old lady and as old as she was, at least!)

Merle

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 2:00 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
Haliphron wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

Merle

I wonder how that woman wouldve reacted if a guy at the seminar had done what you did. Someone sitting alone doing her own thing is NOT by any means an indication of (mental)abnormality, particularly asperger syndrome. I personally run into A LOT more bipolar women than any other mental anomaly.

abnormality? since AS is my 'normal' I guess it never occurred to me. I did approach an older guy at that same seminar and his mother came roaring out of the crowd and interrupted him and me speaking to introduce herself and pretty much demand to know why I was speaking to her son. I simply told her I was an Aspie and was meeting others here at the seminar. She proceeded to stand in front of her son and let me know that he was not interested in meeting women there, or anywhere else. I beat it, fast, when she turned to her son for affirmation of that last statement. (sheesh! I am an old lady and as old as she was, at least!)

Merle

Ugh. Id be SO embarassed and angry if one of my parents did that to me-EVEN when I was a kid. AS is abnormal but I dont see *abnormality* as a bad thing. I think it makes people more interesting, even if they're not abnormal in the way that we are. :wink:

MegaAndy
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jan 2009, 6:29 pm

i was suprised by how much girls there are with aspergers on this forum
ive never seen a female with aspergers and its said that it is not as common

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 12:49 pm

Haliphron wrote:
Wow, I was gonna start a thread about this but someone beat me to it :lol: . Ive been to Aspie support groups IRL and There were NEVER more than 3 gals there and each one had @least 10 guys. While there certainly doesnt seem to be any shortage of women here on WP and other Aspie online communities. It definitely appears that Aspie women are pretty rare IRL. I have met several guys who have aspie-like traits but there's only 1 woman Ive EVER met by chance with Aspergers. It does appear that many aspie women dont use online dating or social networking sites IME. So as far as real life is concerned, I dunno what to make of it.......... :?

This happens with giftedness. Not so much in Mensa, but in the 3-sigma (99.9th %ile) groups. There are 6 men to every 1 woman, on average, in these groups, and the men dominate the online discussions. And the men will tell you earnestly that the male:female ratio at the highest level is 20:1 or 40:1 (ignoring their own membership lists and going by tests like the Mega that are defintely sex-biased). The research indicates it should be about 1:1, but they don't believe this, since women are less interested in "smart" subjects like technology and politics, women speak out less, women are less likely to take IQ tests or join such groups, women are less likely to think themselves as gifted. I dropped out of one group because it was too male-dominated.

So you can't go by who shows up at these things.

I have no idea what the actual ratio for autism is, whether it's 1:1, 2:1, 4:1, but anything more extreme than 4:1 is pretty suspect, and, who knows? It may be 1:1. I think the ratio for bipolar is 1:1.

Of course women speak out a lot here: we probably have better language skills than men on the spectrum, on average, as you would expect since females in general tend to be better at language. (Unlike for giftedness, where both sexes have high language abilities.)

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 11:41 pm

sinsboldly wrote:

Merle

That sounds so much like me it's not funny! Before I started making more of an effort to be a social creature really recently, I was always the girl who sat in the back during break time and read a massive book. I was doing so on the train the other day, and the girl sitting opposite me asked me if I was *really* reading the book I had open in my lap, like she couldn't believe that someone would voluntarily read such a massive book for fun.

27 Jan 2009, 1:03 am

I'm a woman.