Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 10:43 pm

Gah! Have you even looked at this site? Creative geniuses, at least 40%. Just not good at getting what other people are getting at.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 11:18 pm

creativity is my main special interest and my career.

this thread question is a bit weird.

Not all Aspies are maths and science geeks, - some are fascinated by and infatuated with the arts and its various forms of expression.

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 12:03 am

I am fascinated by anything that stimulates my brain, whether it is math and science, or it's the arts.

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude

kalantir
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 1:15 am

Maditude wrote:
I am fascinated by anything that stimulates my brain, whether it is math and science, or it's the arts.

True that. Sometimes I feel like I'm addicted to learning. As a result I spend at least 50% of my waking hours teaching myself things. Unless I'm in the middle of a really good book.

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Feb 2009, 1:24 am

I think we can be very creative. to the point that it bothers some of the NT, so they like to put rules on creativity, which we don't fit, and claim that we are not creative. It can be hard to find time to be creative,becasue I am so occupied by trying to keep everything in my environment predictable and controlable, or just trying to keep up with everything..

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 1:52 am

My 11 year old AS son is obsessed with Starcraft and Bionicles. Every night at bedtime, we have this ritual. It goes like this:

D: Can we do phone call?
Me: Okay.
D: Can I make the phone ring?
Me: Go ahead
D: [makes a ringing sound]
Me: Hello?
D: Hi! It's me, [fill in name of a Bionicle, a Starcraft character, or a "Zerg Club" character, which are Starcraft-like characters he invented.)
Me: Hi, ------! How's it going?
D: Great! Guess what? Tomorrow is my birthday! We're getting together at [appropriate ficticious place, which is often one of several places he has made up.) Wanna come?

Then he goes on to describe games and contests that they are going to do at this birthday party. He hates real life birthday parties, but his imagination goes wild during these times. It's always something very detailed, and appropriate for whatever character he's being, but he comes up with it so easily.

So...on the one hand, these things are very scripted and use a lot of pre-defined characters, but on the other hand, he adds a lot interesting details. His made-up characters are very detailed, and have histories and backgrounds.
His written stories and comic books are like that, too.

I think that takes a whole lot of creativity.

shantonu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2009, 6:01 am

@ thebarkingbird

as drawing cartoon is my hobby not profession the timeline is not fixed...but theres sketching all around the borders of almost every page of my notebooks or roughs....

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 6:03 am

shantonu wrote:
Do aspies have a lack of creativity?

No.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 6:32 am

millie wrote:
creativity is my main special interest and my career.

this thread question is a bit weird.

Not all Aspies are maths and science geeks, - some are fascinated by and infatuated with the arts and its various forms of expression.

Some of us are differently, fascinatingly interestingly creative and some not, and like those not on the autism spectrum we are as diverse and different as those that are not...

I agree with millie question "a little weird" as we are not all a stereo type image, well I hope :alien: , I find generally asd individuals push boundaries and concepts which can make us extremely fascinating creative wise...

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 11:45 am

RockDrummer616 wrote:
I feel like I am creative, and so are many others, but there is a difference between creativity and originality. It's very hard to make something truly original, usually you have to take inspiration from another source, but as long as it's a different interpretation and not just a copy, it's still creative.

"Good artists copy. Great artists steal." --Pablo Picasso

Greeblig
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Feb 2009, 3:10 pm

I'm told I'm creative, although personally I think I have all the imagination of a lead pipe.

kalantir
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 3:56 pm

I think most people are creative, the ones who don't think they are just arent trying to apply their creativity in the way that best suits them.

MegaAndy
Toucan
Toucan

18 Feb 2009, 4:18 pm

lol apparantly i'm not creative

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 5:28 pm

Not necessarily - I consider my creativity to be one of my most useful assets.

shulamith
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2009, 8:35 pm

I have asperger condition and i am an artist. I write fiction, draw, and do theater. I want to go into writing or acting when i grow up. I think AS affects how we are creative, but whether we are or not is just what kind of person you happen to be.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 12:16 am

People who have slightly the StPD are more creative than others, BUT when they have it very strong, than they are usually not creative at all and more technical thinking.
I have the feeling that in autism it is very simmilar.

I'm definitly more creative than others, also very often in my way of thinking.
But sometimes I also have a very "rigid" way of thinking and seeing things and that's also a part of autism.

Last edited by Raziel on 08 Aug 2012, 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.